My 1,500.00 1990 project

Yes mine was that color too. Dark Red Metallic or Brilliant Red Metallic in later years, RPO #68 in 1990
WA9239

I did a little more work on the passenger side floor today. I still have to lay a few more layers of glass in the low areas to get them level with the rest of the floor, then sand everything smooth and try my best to get the floor close to how it looked before. I will be adding some more glass to the drivers floor as well to get it level as well.

I'm not overly concerned with the bottom of the car at this point since that can be done after the interior is in the car and while it is back up on car ramps for the exhaust replacement.

floorrepair25.jpg

floorrepair26.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best I can get this floor issue this car has. That and the car is really pissing me off lately. Almost feel like parting it and doing a suspension swap on my 82 vette and put it's TPI motor and trans in it.

Next project is cutting all the carpet underlay material and start installing the interior again. That is a whole PITA project in itself, once the interior is done though I am down to brakes, smog, registration. Then I can drive the car, not worried if it isn't painted not much sense in painting till I am sure the car can actually drive LOL

floorrepair37.jpg

floorrepair35.jpg

floorrepair36.jpg

Last edited:
I finally went to DMV to see just how much it is going to cost to register the car being it is 3 years behind on it's registration. The total for everything including new plates is 768.00 ..... California is a joke when it comes to registration fee's, I am going to try and buy non california certified catalytic converters for the car since to buy the certified ones with that bar number it will cost about 1,000.00. I find it amazing the steps California takes to get older cars off the road to get new car sales up but I guess in this economy they have no other choice.

I am going to start on prepping the interior for all the new stuff I bought for it. I am planning on washing the whole inside of the car, dyeing plastic for the console trim plates. I at least want the interior to look like new on this car.

I made some progress on the car today. I cleaned it up a bit and pulled out all the factory sound deadening material. I was lucky and most of it was in good shape so after I lay down the madvette foil material I am going to lay in new factory type sound deadening material that I am cutting using the original stuff as a template. Overkill yes, but I like a quiet sounding interior on a car. I will probably start putting the new carpet in the car next weekend as well as re-assemble the dash board.

interiorprep1.jpg

interiorprep3.jpg

interiorprep2.jpg

Last edited:
I made a little progress on the car today. I put the madvette sound deadening kit in it. I also test fitted some of my new carpet kit I didn't take pictures of that though. Before the carpet goes in though I am going to be fixing all the issues with the bose stereo and get the dash back together. I am planning on next month starting to use the car painted or not. As long as the interior is nice I will drive it :D

madvette4.jpg

madvette3.jpg

madvette1.jpg

madvette2.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quik update. I started fitting my new ACC carpet kit in the trunk of the car. Fit pretty good as is with only a few areas that you really need to trim. One thing I do dislike about the carpet kit is where the original carpet rose up the back panel of the the car and then secured with 4 10mm screws, the acc carpet won't reach that far up. The carpet kit also isn't to friendly with that foil sound deadening kit because of high and low points it really needs the thicker factory type sound deadening material.

The kit also has no cutouts for where the 90 rear amps are as well as no cutouts for the targa top brackets on the floor. This however isn't hard to cut out.

I will keep you all updated on the rest of the carpet install.

This is a mass back ACC kit by the way and I highly recommend it, overall it installs really quite nicely.

newrearcarpet1.jpg

newrearcarpet2.jpg

Last edited:
Just another update...... I just bought these 1990 doors for 45.00 bucks, my plan with them is to rebuild everything inside of them so they are rattle free and everything works perfectly. The paint is still nice on them so they really should only need minor prepping (I have a white hood and bumpers and 1/4 front fenders so maybe just paint it white haha)

Anyways just thought it to be easier fixing these doors up then taking mine off, having the car open to weather and such.

I could also I guess take hood, bumpers off the car and have them painted off the car so masking and overspray is kept to a minimum.

1990vettemoved1.jpg

doors.jpg

Last edited:
Anyways just thought it to be easier fixing these doors up then taking mine off, having the car open to weather and such.
I wanted to take my doors off but knew it would become a cattery for all the neighbourhood cats from the first night without doors fitted.

It'll be nicer working on your doors on a bench rather than trying to squat down in the door opening :thumbs:

I did a little work on the car today and I am finding this foil sound deadening material to have been a waste of money. In the trunk areas it is just not thick enough and you wind up with high and low spots in the carpet. To make my floor carpet look right I still had to lay 1/2 thick jute padding over the foil.

I expect to run into the same issues with the front carpet as well. I suppose if you use cheaper carpet that isn't mass back then it wouldn't be a issue. In some areas this mass back carpet kit seems fine with just the foil but for these foil kits to be a perfect fit they should have been made of the same thickness as the original type sound deadening material.

for instance the storage compartment in my 90 sits a bit above the floor and being the foil kit is about 1/8 inch thick verses the original sound deadening stuff being like 1/2 inch thick a noticeable low spot is visible. This also happens on the compartment doors as well since the top of them are recessed and to make it flush so the carpet lays flat they put the same 1/2 thick sound deadening stuff there.

I did a little work on the other seat bottom today, I still have to add a little extra foam on the sides so the cover fits nice and tight. I can honestly see why not vette vendor sell mounted sport seats, the bottoms are PITA to mount. The backs are pretty easy though ..... I should have the seats done by next weekend so far though they are coming out pretty nice.

seatbottom.jpg

Here is a seatback I did some time ago.

newupholstery1.jpg

Last edited:
I added some more white parts to this ugly duckling today. Next weekend I will be putting the doors on it as well. So far I have about 200.00 in body parts (all the white parts)

I also have nice white rocker panels, mirrors & headlight lids and bezels coming. When it comes time for a re-paint I am just going to have the car painted white. Where I work there are semi's driving around and it's pretty dusty and there is no way I could deal with keeping polo green clean all the time. So my plan is arctic white with a black GS stripe and dark tinted windows. That will make a nice enough daily driver.

whitepartson1.jpg

whitepartson2.jpg

gascap2.jpg

Last edited:
200 bux for all them white body parts?? bullshit man, you gotta be kidding me....

no way man...no way....not even a freeking POS rustbucket honda....

what hell you use?? 44 mag??

:hunter::1st: IF true, some guyz don't need a gun....

200 bux for all them white body parts?? bullshit man, you gotta be kidding me....

I got the hood, doors, fenders, bumpers, gas lid and the third brake light piece for 200.00 guy was just desperate to sell because they were to hard to ship for him. I almost got the rear 1/4 panels and halo section for another 50 bucks but he sold them.

I just won some auctions for white rocker panels, headlight lids, headlight bezels for 112.00 shipped.

Last edited:

But don't worry I got reamed on other shit the car needed.

rims 250
tires 600
interior stuff 1200
weatherstripping 450
complete a/c system (charged) 350

If it weren't for the dirt cheap body panels I would have parted the car out. Thank God for this shitty economy and I have a good paying job. Thats the only reason this car will be finished because vette parts are so cheap now

rims 250
tires 600
interior stuff 1200
weatherstripping 450

If it weren't for the dirt cheap body panels I would have parted the car out. Thank God for this shitty economy and I have a good paying job. Thats the only reason this car will be finished because vette parts are so cheap now

Rims, typically 125-200 for a set here in Jax Fl....17x9.5 , I just swapped over to '89 rims from a set of '92 sawblades...broke even...money wise...

tires...I HAD been paying ~100 each for them here, plus tax & m/bal....

weatherstripping is higher'n a cats back, and is one reason I sold my '87....

350 for a complete a/c system? cheeeeeeep as hell....IMO, but you don't have the demand for that in Ca. that we do here in FLORIDA

:cool::lol:

rims 250
tires 600
interior stuff 1200
weatherstripping 450

Rims, typically 125-200 for a set here in Jax Fl....17x9.5 , I just swapped over to '89 rims from a set of '92 sawblades...broke even...money wise...

tires...I HAD been paying ~100 each for them here, plus tax & m/bal....

weatherstripping is higher'n a cats back, and is one reason I sold my '87....

350 for a complete a/c system? cheeeeeeep as hell....IMO, but you don't have the demand for that in Ca. that we do here in FLORIDA

:cool::lol:

This ugly duckling had chrome C5 wagon wheels when I bought it, The 90 wheels I bought for it have no clearcoat issues and are in excellent shape for just a driver. I bought the a/c system from a real cool guy on CF he brought it from arizona to california when he took his family on vacation so that saved me shipping costs. California gets pretty hot sometimes 110 degrees but it's like a zero humidity heat but still hot LOL.

The weatherstripping that came off the car was like charcoal and half of it was missing so I had no other choice there. When I bought it off ebay for 1500 it looked decent in pictures in the shade you know that ebay story LOL. when I got it home and started digging into it then I was ready to part it out and stumbled onto these body panels and that is the only reason I decided to rebuild it. All these body parts were about 40 miles from me so I rented a U-haul and drove to get them.

My upcoming projects on it are complete exhaust system, rebuild the white doors, complete brake overhaul, shocks, wheel bearings. Then it should be road ready and then comes another expensive bill. to register it will cost me 725.00 because of the back fee's on the car.