My 1,500.00 1990 project

Then it should be road ready and then comes another expensive bill. to register it will cost me 725.00 because of the back fee's on the car.

BACK FEES??

:bonkers:

Yes 3 years behind on registration and no PNO was ever put on the car.

PNO, ? seems like Kalifornia is really desperate for money, funny how they seem to hate cars in that state, but yet it's CARS that brought them all the prosperity .....as with the rest of the country....

:cry:

Then it should be road ready and then comes another expensive bill. to register it will cost me 725.00 because of the back fee's on the car.

BACK FEES??

PNO, ? seems like Kalifornia is really desperate for money, funny how they seem to hate cars in that state, but yet it's CARS that brought them all the prosperity .....as with the rest of the country....

PNO planned non operation ... previous owner never filled one out. California doesn't hate cars, after all they get double the registration fee's now. I would move out of this state since I work for a large company that is everywhere but have to stay because of my son. California is one way or another going to get old cars off the road and you can bet other states will follow californias lead. I saw something about Arny wanting some high speed train system yet they complain the state is broke. They even go as far as keeping lot full of new cars for government employees from the public eye. A truly pathetic state!

I see state employees driving around in there new prius's and ask myself why they can't drive a 5 y/o car. The auto industries beg for bailouts and this state buys import cars. Wheres the logic in that one LOL.

BACK FEES??

PNO planned non operation ... previous owner never filled one out. California doesn't hate cars, after all they get double the registration fee's now. I would move out of this state since I work for a large company that is everywhere but have to stay because of my son. California is one way or another going to get old cars off the road and you can bet other states will follow californias lead. I saw something about Arny wanting some high speed train system yet they complain the state is broke. They even go as far as keeping lot full of new cars for government employees from the public eye. A truly pathetic state!

I see state employees driving around in there new prius's and ask myself why they can't drive a 5 y/o car. The auto industries beg for bailouts and this state buys import cars. Wheres the logic in that one LOL.

The Feds' supported Gm/Ch because of the fleet purchases...no other real reason, except .mil gear, maybe....

:beer:

The new foam I purchased for my seats seems to be a nightmare to work with. Where the factory foam has reinforcement strands imbedded into the foam this after market stuff doesn't so basically when you stretch the foam and try to secure it with hogrings this foam instantly tears. This problem makes securing the sides impossible.

I'm thinking maybe if I insert some wire into the foam for the hogrings to clamp onto will do the trick.

The new foam I purchased for my seats seems to be a nightmare to work with. Where the factory foam has reinforcement strands imbedded into the foam this after market stuff doesn't so basically when you stretch the foam and try to secure it with hogrings this foam instantly tears. This problem makes securing the sides impossible.

I'm thinking maybe if I insert some wire into the foam for the hogrings to clamp onto will do the trick.

NO, the guy that did my '70 Lemans convertible seats/interior/top years ago, showed me a trick of his on that....

take a garbage bag, preferable a new one..:cry:, and lay it over the foam, that allows the covers to slide over the foam right into place, and then use TIE WRAPS to secure it all down the way you like, with that overstuffed foam concept, the seats are fine for that puffy show car look, but in reality I have sent new foam back because of that, and I like a LO seat anyway because of my height.....the tie wraps allow some adjustment there, and are so much easier to lay in place, feed through and dont go krazy trying to fight the world over that crap.....fuck all other techniques.....I have had tie wraps last over ten years in that use, and that's FLORIDA SUN.....

:shocking::trumpet:

Well I am almost finished with this sport seat. My switch bezels are cracked so thats why it doesn't look good around them. All I have to do know is take them to my upholstery guy and he will heat and shrink the vinyl so it is nice and tight.

seatdone.jpg

Last edited:
I started assembling the second seat today. Obviously have some wrinkles to work out but no more then the other seat. Next weekend they should be done and I am going to start putting the interior back in the car.

finishedseat.jpg

Last edited:
My camera phone really sucks but I armor-alled one of the seatbacks and took a quik picture. The covers are really good quality and fit overall is good.

finishedseat2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice.

Are the seat covers leather or vinyl?

Vinyl .... I chose Vinyl since I will have my son in the car alot & he is at the brutal age where he can destroy a steel ball and I figured leather would be doomed. I also hate conditioning leather and how easy it stains. The leatherlike looks better then I thought it would and I know leather quality isn't what it was ten years ago.

I bought these from willcox vette parts, think I paid like 330.00 for them, very good quality in my opinion and match the original leather covers very nicely. I went with new foam so there is very little "baggy" looking areas and for the most part it is skin tight fit everywhere. I've never done upholstery work but installing C4 covers isn't all that hard.

I'm not really a big fan of the sport seats though for a few reasons and eventually plan on buying mounted leather standard seats when I have the time. The major downside to sport seats is the cost of replacement parts for them of which these ones needed everything LOL. The other is ( NO ) supplier offers mounted seat covers for them.

Looks really nice.

Are the seat covers leather or vinyl?

Vinyl .... I chose Vinyl since I will have my son in the car alot & he is at the brutal age where he can destroy a steel ball and I figured leather would be doomed. I also hate conditioning leather and how easy it stains. The leatherlike looks better then I thought it would and I know leather quality isn't what it was ten years ago.

I bought these from willcox vette parts, think I paid like 330.00 for them, very good quality in my opinion and match the original leather covers very nicely. I went with new foam so there is very little "baggy" looking areas and for the most part it is skin tight fit everywhere. I've never done upholstery work but installing C4 covers isn't all that hard.

I'm not really a big fan of the sport seats though for a few reasons and eventually plan on buying mounted leather standard seats when I have the time. The major downside to sport seats is the cost of replacement parts for them of which these ones needed everything LOL. The other is ( NO ) supplier offers mounted seat covers for them.

I have a son, wife has two sons, I read her that, and she just grinned from ear to ear....methinks something in common....

:rofl::rofl::cussing:

Just a small update, since I am rushing to get this car done and get it one color again since it is an eyesore. I purchased so white headlight lids, mirrors and lower rocker panels. These all came from a different 90 vette but seem to match my other white parts very closely. So my plan is this get the nice white doors on along with the other white parts and have from the back of the doors back repainted white and blended in. This will get the car all one color as fast as possible and get it looking less like a pick-a-part car.

I had originally wanted it polo green again but it is so dusty in California especially where I work that polo green would be a nightmare to keep clean. So think is what I will do when I have more money is have it completely re-painted white with a black GS stripe and dark tinted windows and call the project done.

whitelids1.jpg

The hood is dusty here thats why the shade of white looks different in this picture. Aside from some scratches all these white parts still shine and should buff out real nice and make the blending process easier.

whitelids2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the lid in the shade and the hood cleaned a bit. So far like I said all my white parts are a very close match

whitelid3.jpg

Last edited:
I just received nearly flawless white rocker panels (45.00 shipped) new willcox outter window sweeps (excellent quality) Power window motors ....

If nothing else all these nice white panels will save me a bunch of time and money on prep work needed verses what was on the car.

So far I have about 380.00 into replacement body parts so the only real major prep work needed before paint is the rear 1/4 panels and the halo. The paint on all this white stuff is still really nice so it shouldn't need much sanding before priming verses the orinal parts needing to be stripped to bare glass and then tons of body work.

whiterockerpanels.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what the rear 1/4's look like now. If I could somehow just blend the whole back of the car & the door jambs to match the doors I think the car would look okay as a driver till I can afford a complete repaint.

I'm sure the white parts could easily be buffed and shine even more then they do. The camera phone pics suck unless your at the right angle and in the right sunlight. However these white parts are all glossy and aside from scratches and nicks here and there are in great shape.

Quest is how is blending acheived and would I take a door in to have paint mixed to be as close as possible to them?

Once my mirrors arrive I will begin assembling the white doors however might try and spray the jambs and 1/4 panels prior to them going on. The roof on the car is glass so (even thought it looks like a painted top) so thats one less part to blend into.

80grit2.jpg

80grit.jpg

reardeckrepair2.jpg

deckholesfilled2.jpg

0315101014a.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best shot of the door I could get. As you can see it does shine and in darker light you can see reflections. Most of my pictures make it look like these white parts are dull which isn't the case. Many have said too hard to blend white but if all the white parts are buffed out so they shine even better what is the problem with blending the back of the car.

when all the white parts are on I have about 350.00 tied up into these body parts For a nice paint job I think they would just need to be sanded quik for the primer to adhere. The most they need is a spot of filler here and there but compared to the original body panels which were a lost cause in my eyes and would have required probably about 1500 in prep work and repair if they could even be repaired 350.00 is a bargain.

from the misalignment of the bumper the original hoods edges were ground down to where gaps were seen near the beltline molding. Both mirror housings are bent, rear bumper was cracked and had holes drilled in it for a spoiler of immense size. One door has cracking near the hinge, the other has shitty repair work.... In my eyes the headlight lids were the only good part on the whole car that needed no work and still had a decent shine to them.

Yes if I had to pay to rediculous going rate on vette parts it would have killed this project or bankrupt me in the process ..... So in my eyes any white part put on this car is an improvement and makes it look like a vette verses a pick-a-part car.

whitedoor6.jpg

Last edited: