Near future project: Aluminum radiator support

how about making the seat frames out of aluminum? lose the springs and replace with webbing...

We think alike. I was in the process of drawing up some framework sketches when I got a good deal on some '79 seats from Karsten. The later seats are about 10-15# lighter (each), and I made some aluminum brackets which were about 3# lighter (each), for about 30# off the car.

The interior would certainly look a bit more original with the stock seats, but the later seats do have a bit more side support which is a big improvement over the flat as a board originals.

Want lightweight seats?? These weigh next to nothing and have awesome support

250eedec5c69de.jpg

250eedec620201.jpg

250eedec6662ef.jpg

those are really cool, but have 2 problems
1) they're more valuable than my entire Corvette, and
2) if they're not made in China, I can't own them

Lovely seats, trouble is, they remind my of my '87 vette, and the problems with them being much tooooooo narrow with them side bolsters, and so after a couple hours drive, my hips would hurt like mad friggin arthritis....

:gurney:

Lovely seats, trouble is, they remind my of my '87 vette, and the problems with them being much tooooooo narrow with them side bolsters, and so after a couple hours drive, my hips would hurt like mad friggin arthritis....

:gurney:

ummm.. how to delicately say this.... maybe cut down to one Big Mac a week and they'll fit fine? :tomato:

Got one of the brackets done. Just need to put some semigloss black paint on it to blend in (and stop the glare). Test-fit crappy picture:

IM002194.jpg

The bracket weighs 1.1#, and the original weighs 2.7#, so for the pair about 3# off ahead of the front axle.

Getting down to the details LOL

I see more

chromed steel water neck? ->alu! See below.
Pig heavy alternator,get a mini denso Working on the Denso.
alterantor bracket, canton has a replacement in alu. Fabricated one.

After a lot of searching I finally found an aluminum water neck the other week at my favorite junkyard. It's damn hard to find these anymore that don't have the threaded areas for extra temp sensors. Cleaned it up and put it on the scale with the potmetal water neck I've been using for years.

IM002239_zps36741398.jpg

The potmetal aftermarket neck was 10.9 ounces, while the aluminum one was 5.25 ounces. The aftermarket neck also needed longer bolts (.3 oz difference), making the conversion 6 ounces lighter (up front and up high).

I was sure the aftermarket part wasn't steel, but I was amazed at the weight difference.

Thanks for making me rethink the waterneck issue Marck.

Tube Style

Not sure what this weighs as it was stainless tubing but should be strong enough. I didn't make it or use it as I saw it on the LS1techforum.

Attachments

• Corvette LS Radiator Support 2 tubing.JPG
    Corvette LS Radiator Support 2 tubing.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 13
  • Corvette LS Radiator Support tubing.JPG
    Corvette LS Radiator Support tubing.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 14
I made a new radiator support starting with a cut up 1968 support. It's probably lighter than the later supports. The aluminum plate that the fans mount onto is structuraly coupled to the support so it should be much stiffer than the original.

44f356d0fc4f0c.jpg

44f356d106125e.jpg

44f356d10d3155.jpg

that sure is sweet looking, is the black part also aluminum?

nice rad also, brand?

Those fans, are they 4th Gen f body fans?

that sure is sweet looking, is the black part also aluminum?

nice rad also, brand?

Those fans, are they 4th Gen f body fans?

No, the black part is 16ga steel with the perimiter boxed. Then the aluminum sheet (with the fans on it) are attached to that by upper and lower C channels. The radiator is a Dewits and the fans are ~mid 90's Camaro.

4th gen fans then, I like them too because of the full enclusure and easy mounting. May get some of those, they sure are softer on the wallet than the thick curved blade spals

The only drawback to those fans is tthe depth of the motor. Most recent stuff uses much lower profile motors.

Spoiler extension material?

I'm looking to add another inch or inch and a half drop on the front spoiler. I'm trying to find a few feet of the common plastic/rubbery stuff to bolt to the present spoiler, but it needs to be an L shape (or square and I can cut it along the length) so I can attach it to the bellypan horizontal surface. So far I can't find anything resembling this description, and if I keep striking out I'll see if I can find something at the local junkyard. In the mean time, anybody have any suggestions on a source for some material matching this description?

Thanks.

I'm looking to add another inch or inch and a half drop on the front spoiler. I'm trying to find a few feet of the common plastic/rubbery stuff to bolt to the present spoiler, but it needs to be an L shape (or square and I can cut it along the length) so I can attach it to the bellypan horizontal surface. So far I can't find anything resembling this description, and if I keep striking out I'll see if I can find something at the local junkyard. In the mean time, anybody have any suggestions on a source for some material matching this description?

Thanks.

I had a bunch of tough black plastic that is used for garden edging....worked fine on my car...:smash::eek:

I'm trying to find a few feet of the common plastic/rubbery stuff to bolt to the present spoiler, but it needs to be an L shape (or square and I can cut it along the length) so I can attach it to the bellypan horizontal surface. Thanks.

Back when I was 4 wheeling, a buddy bought a large roll of rubber fender flare extensions for his truck. They were cut to fit and had a lip that went under the fender for screwing to the inside of the fender. Seems like they were about 2" or so wide. Maybe something like that would work?

DC

I'm trying to find a few feet of the common plastic/rubbery stuff to bolt to the present spoiler, but it needs to be an L shape (or square and I can cut it along the length) so I can attach it to the bellypan horizontal surface. Thanks.

Maybe some PVC downspout - or the fencing (4x4 in - "square tube") from the home stores. Not exactly rubbery stuff - but you could cut it easily enough and have 2 for the price of one!

Cheers - Jim

Like This?
thum_126951e28f0b13010.jpg

126951e28f0b13010.jpg
It really does look like Garden edging.
Cheers - Jim

YUP, but my '72 had the stock curve to the main fiberglass that went down vertical for about an inch, so I just screwed the garden edging to the glass, curved the ends up to fair into the body work, and it's not so awful evil.....

:trumpet::harhar:

That dam is there to force the air "up" to the radiator, shouldn't there be a big opening in the fiberglass in front of the dam ???