new build pics of 409

Their cams are top notch qualty, true billets, pressed on cast ends. Never a problem. The cam you posted pics of was not a billet...doubt it was a TPIS cam.

Well the motor is coming along. Took the fuel pump push rod to friends house,and chucked it up in his lathe and he took a .001" off the rod,now it works fine. put my carb in his mill and cut the choke tower off. sacrificed an old HEI i had laying around and cut the teeth off the gear on the lathe,modified the other end to fit in a drill and made an oil pump primer. filled it up with oil and primed it. The build is starting to move along. I will post up some more pics soon.

Now back to your regular discussion :thumbs:

Cool. You took .001" off with a lathe. The cam will take the rest off for you. :smash:

Cool. You took .001" off with a lathe. The cam will take the rest off for you. :smash:

Bird. you are the only person i can find so far that says not to run the rod and just to run any old push rod. And that i will have problems with the bronze tip.

If i have to pay for the parts, im going to use what i want. now if somebody else (like you) want to pay for the parts,i will use what ever you want.

I would still like to know the Rockwell Hardness specs for a roller cam and lifter wheels, be it cast/billet/plastic/paper mache,wood,etc.

Just about ready to drop it in the car:nuts:
384fc3e6eacf991.jpg
384fcd488533941.jpg
384fcd488633d20.jpg
384fcd488738336.jpg

still have a little clean up work on the carb,removed the choke tower.
384fcd48883b5f2.jpg

Damn you work fast! :smash::smash::smash:

LOL I dont know if it's being fast,or i have done to many of these. Took me 3 hours to get the motor in and the trans connected. Would of been done sooner,but that lakewood bell housing is a :cussing: to install. Glad i did the run out on it before i dropped it in the car.

Test drive tomarrow?:bounce:

I doubt it. as you can see,there is still a lot to do. maybe friday. I have to make a new clutch linkage rod to hook up to the new clutch fork. This new one does not hook up with a pin,it takes a rod with a ball on the end and i guess springs to hold the rod to the clutch fork. a buddy of mine with a machine shop in his garage said he would make me one friday morning. and i tried the original clutch fork with this bell housing,and it wont work,to short,T/O bearing is not centered.

Take your time. Make sure its completely full of coolant with no big air bubbles. (i've made that mistake) Monitor temps, oil pressure etc. check and check and recheck

Kevin, what sorta fuel you gonna run in it? I've been totally unsucessful finding any decent fuel around these parts.

I can run over to Independence and get VP 110 or i can run a mile up the road and get some 100LL. If you want pump gas, in Kearney at the CO-OP you can get ethanol free premium,it's either 92 or93 octane.

Last edited: