Plastic Fantastic 2

I hate my camera... took this picture
65qfmj6h.jpg
but since I must have turned it off too soon, didn't save the next picture my clever button install.... I'm sure it'll show later, but for now it's far more unattractive then you might imagine... and it's temporary - remember, I want to do burnouts and the days are drawing to a close
oh wait, Imgur problem... here'sedited the picture - eventually it will control what it says - for now, it starts the car
6tVGTt3h.jpg

Also got the bottom of the radiator mounted along with some hosing...
98PJ1hFh.jpg
Ov0hYgAh.jpg
​​​​​​​
problem is I need to run hard line next to the belt so I'm waiting for parts again (should be here thursday)

IO7Eiw0h.jpg

After sleeping on the issue - I'm going to put a push button starter and wire the system into a switch panel (so I can turn the fuel pump off, etc).
minor UX suggestion, instead of a push button, do a kind of "turn knob" ignition system by leaving the key in there,or possibly fabbing up a more stylized key

the cadillac CTS did this
https://youtu.be/DxTQMu9m9Ts?t=103

also some of the aftermarket keyless start systems do this, like the advance keys one
https://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105S.html

It's a little more visceral and unique than just a button

I've used that second one - it has some issues, especially it the shut-off department.... I still have it somewhere around - that said, the vibe of this is going to be mostly race car. It will have button actuated locks - but given it only has the astro top locks are mostly there to keep the honest ones honest. For thieves I have a special treat, all of my fun cars have GPS tracking - and I don't call the cops, I'll let them call the police ;)

Last edited:
parts arrived
iUxuIKJh.jpg
while the hole is open - I mostly filled the engine/radiator... 3 gallons and counting
m5kjgLnh.jpg

and now running...
QOYu8tGh.jpg

video whenever it finishes uploading

failed fix
ETIyl4Sh.jpg
Q76wcSSh.jpg
ACk6q4Ah.jpg
surprise, the heater core is junk
t4831Euh.jpg

surprising, though, I got anything done on this today - was a little busyedited

heating system
qqpb6PTh.jpg
I think I see why it was leaking
Ju5vFdhh.jpg
stupid mice
KclwPVzh.jpg
zGq2Czfh.jpg
I kept thinking while the body was off - replace this stuff...
FjPK2b4h.jpg
new hoses as well
AbNkJHuh.jpg
when the fan was out, I tested it.... it draws a lot of current so I replaced it
4jO5oyXh.jpg
only one little problem.... I didn't put the fan on the motor when I put it together.... yeah, I'm a dumbass oh well, they can't fire me so the rest of the voices in my head are just gonna have to shut it.
​​​​​​​

first fix
there is a problem
u3Zd3Fyh.jpg
better
jJAwBQdh.jpg
shiney new valve covers... this time aluminum
IXaPCI0h.jpg
chrome doesn't get me home but it does keep oil from leaking onto the headers
RqfB5KMh.jpg
got the car up to operating temp....edited
tytvHToh.jpg
killed all the bugs
but not oil - that's the stuff from the header wrap.... interestingly, it doesn't smell, I already had a migraine so I can't say whether or not it affect it.

anyway, there are a few water leaks but my major concern - the surface of the block - isn't a problem, no water in the oil, no pressure in the water system ...

with all the electronics and plasma tables it still boils down to a drawing
OPJdDTVh.jpg

what's remarkable about this picture is I drove it here
9pjvHlRh.jpg

then started working on the hydroboost
Baz2HHAh.jpg

then had to take it for a spin
kqXPwzzh.jpg

this didn't survive the second caredited
q6gASpzh.jpg

the second car
soXq3eeh.jpg

to say this was "traction limited" would suggest I had traction.... which I didn't
BW4kdekh.jpg

my wife wanted me to be sure and capture the smoke (nope, she didn't see the other night)
TGNrbcyh.jpg

and the luxurious driving conditions
VMkPxG6h.jpg

I just wanted to get a picture of the skid
UMgKCwTh.jpg

its first spin has been accomplished.... now what was that adze saying before about this car? :)edited
this thing is going to be fun - though traction is going to be an issue....
​​​​​​​

Driving impressions.
1st gear is useless
2nd gear is useless
3rd gear is okay on pavement
4th gear is okay on wet as long as you are gentle.
Don't need to hook up the power steering
Do need to hook up the booster for the hydroboost.
​​​​​​​

just when I thought I couldn't be more annoyed with Custom Images flares.... yes, they used bondo instead of gel coat...
​​​​​​​VnJin14h.jpg

Too bad about the flares, good to find out before painting.

Otherwise, it must feel pretty good to get to this point. Congratulations on the milestone.