Plastic Fantastic 2

You just gave me an idea. The right front fender was replaced on my car and they cut off the inner fender splash shield flange. So now there is a gap. I was looking for some fiberglass "L" shape that I could bond in there but maybe some aluminum pieces would work as well?

use your best medium. I do metal, so I'm comfortable working with it - others, like Jim, are masters at plastic... that said, one of my most favorite things to hear/see is when someone takes my way and runs with it. Unless, of course, your a chinese troll who steals ideas from these pages, claim it as their own, and use it to try to make buck.... those, I don't have much time for those..

the most boring part of any build... filling holes
8STf2x3h.jpg
and building up edges
VQJByb6h.jpg
basically tonight's mix was epoxy mayonnaise...edited
xKxY7tah.jpg

tomorrow, move it forward after I get my new shear...

Not sure how much I will use this on this project, but upgraded my shear today
tMAix03h.jpg

got it off the lift, now I just have bodywork... or at least that's what is next
WWMadS2h.jpg

​​​​​​​qWzDKrEh.jpg

bracket number 3?edited
RronOxyh.jpg
mounts too low, but I can make it work with some welding and stuff - the biggest thing, I need to move it forward enough to clear the lower radiator hose
6rCAZZah.jpg

time to start sanding...
7qdDDLWh.jpg

fender isn't terrible
CiJ1ZGBh.jpg

the door
gaps
4dOLYZIh.jpg
the only metal part on the outside so I used proper metal tools
JkA9F5Th.jpg
much better
eW7mIZXh.jpg
for awhile it's going to be rinse/repeat for body work.edited The gaps and such are going to take a lot of time... ah well

gaps
before
GUivFy7h.jpg
during
QKI9GVZh.jpg

time to pull the windows out
fFXQ1VWh.jpg
71SNT8uh.jpg
success
3dXcD0Zh.jpg

then knocking down the edges
a8Zge33h.jpg
RBVZaSDh.jpg

the goal is get my first coat of high build primer on this week

Tonight... more of the same
filler is dry
J8Ueo8Qh.jpg
and shaped a bit
U20Jqqzh.jpg
same story door 2
azZ0dlrh.jpg
more gaps
6LWKuf1h.jpg
lzF92W4h.jpg
JWaWe8Vh.jpg

this time, epoxy is the right material.edited Since I'm close on the shape, I want the strength of the epoxy on these edges
la3ZkQDh.jpg

so here's today's gem for those who follow.edited Epoxy is mixed 2:1 and this is 2:1 then adding the thickener.editededited
lqxS5J8h.jpg
If you take a paint cap, it's about 1 cup or material.
1 cup just barely thickens the 2:1
2 cups is thin honey
3 cups is thick honey
4 cups is mayonnaise
5 cups is creamy peanut butter

it only took a 2:1 plus 5 cups to do the following (volume was about 2 cups wet)... keep in mind this filler is light and fluffy so it really isn't a lot of solid volume
both door jambs
iuWpcYph.jpg
Onrgn5Oh.jpg
the fender gap issues
YUeNE2Ph.jpg

​​​​​​​So with that drying, I went onto my Buick

thanks for watching

you are kicking some major ass there and I think your panel shear is big enough! I am glad you are thinking about the Buick....I want to see that build for sure.

What did you use for the epoxy and filler?

total boat and west systems filler.... if you ask why, well, because the total boat was opened and my west systems epoxy hasn't been opened.... today I find out whether or not I glued my door open (oops)

you are kicking some major ass there and I think your panel shear is big enough! I am glad you are thinking about the Buick....I want to see that build for sure.

with a name like SuperBuickGuy, you'll understand when I say "which Buick?" I think you're talking about Sledanet, but I'm actually working on Buinicorn (50 Sedanet and 64 wagon)

what I'm working on with the wagon
4f0BSHEh.jpg

so the epoxy is dry but very green...edited
aNkUW3Vh.jpg
once it does dry, it looks like there is enough to fix the edges
YawFkthh.jpg
same with trailing edge
AsKY9wVh.jpg
​​​​​​​R5BCCHzh.jpg

well it never occurred to me there was more buicks…..purely a lack of my imagination are you merging the two 50 and 64 vehicles into one?

two different cars

time to start marking and fixing - on the other side, this is flat
lS4qey2h.jpg
FpXqZssh.jpg
r99hZajh.jpg
the passenger side
SxNbZI3h.jpg
OTYWMech.jpg
mud slathered
7oI3rwoh.jpg
1Hwh3W7h.jpg

and onto my other project while that dries
v5vwZbnh.jpg
​​​​​​​CcTvFm7h.jpg

[]but I'm actually working on Buinicorn (50 Sedanet and 64 wagon.
[]

Interesting, must look unique. Someone did a 50's ford pickup with willy's front fenders that looked good.

I have a 50 Buick Sedanet that got stopped by the motor ending up in purgatory. It's a 'typical' fat fender build except I've built a 430 ci Buick motor with aluminum heads and twin turbos.

The 64 Buick wagon will eventually get a twin turbo 3.8 liter Buick motor that will also run nitrous to intercool it. At the moment it has a 6.0 LS motor. This is the Buick I'm working on while doing the body work on the Corvette.

The Sedanet is my retirement project... it'll be chopped, pancaked, frenched.... as I'm 53, it will be awhile before it's even really started again. The motor machine work is done, and I have a transmission for it that has been rebuilt/upgraded... that said, I have everything left. I intend for this car to be my best - thus I practice on what I am currently building.

Last edited:
What are you using for your "mud?" Looks like a DIY-mix with resin.

I've had good luck using colodial silica and micro balloons, and surprisingly - TALC (listed in order of "sanding" difficulty). The talc is nice as its very easy to sand, and has a nice odor.

I'm always looking for alternatives.

Cheers - Jim

What are you using for your "mud?" Looks like a DIY-mix with resin.

I've had good luck using colodial silica and micro balloons, and surprisingly - TALC (listed in order of "sanding" difficulty). The talc is nice as its very easy to sand, and has a nice odor.

I'm always looking for alternatives.

Cheers - Jim

West epoxy systems with 404 filler