Plastic Fantastic 2

Good One! :thumbs:

maybe it's dust-induced-delusion, but I think that once I coat the jams tonight; I'll be done with epoxy then I can move to sanding jambs and then high build primer....

then again, I've fooled myself before and I suspect it will happen again.... wish I'd stop doing that :hunter:

more forever work
epoxy the jams
VKxt9Np.jpg
before
v580cIEh.jpg
4xFLw8ih.jpg
Sop18iPh.jpg
after 2 hours of cleanup, grinding, sandingedited
vh39KBSh.jpg
and epoxy
E2iizksh.jpg
time to glue in the shelf
iLIRkaTh.jpg
whoever owns this car later.... I told you to read the blog.... you didn't, and yes, it's glued because I hate rattles and I don't care that you're now trying to get the frame off
qZDz7nYh.jpg
tLcmtcah.jpg
glued in place, and it will even be glued more before it's done.... did I ever mention I really want to have one of my cars on one of those reality shows where they bought it and now are complaining about that cold breeze blowing up their skirt and chilling what used to be their manly bits?
LjdyMiph.jpg
if I didn't, now you know....edited

more barely seen work
trimmed some edges
LjdyMiph.jpg
then filled in some corners
ZDj6A6mh.jpg
keep in mind that all of this gets ceramic sound deadening then carpet... I just want to plug the holesedited
UGUFmZwh.jpg
wonder how long until I see this at a Chinese booth at SEMA... ah well, here it goes... I'm building a grill that opens - this is just in front of the air cleaner, so allowing air to escape, but more importantly get cold air directly into the motor will be beneficial
28GnFH5h.jpg

​​​​​​​Kind of depending on the response, I may make a few extras

and the underside - I didn't paint it black because I've worked under a car in the pits - having a silver floor makes seeing problems SO much easier... the inner fenders will get rubberized coating but the floor... silver

Last edited:
Wow. You've really gone kind of exponential in the magnitude of the project and expanding your skill set.

You can't blame me for thinking the two Buicks were going to become one car. Yes, I misread, but actually thought you might actually tackle that.

Seeing those door jams makes me cringe, they are such a pain. Good job.

Dittos on the copy cats, my engine stand frame jig was for sale a while ago, somewhat nicer though.

thank you for the kind words, they help a lot
sometimes I wonder how much faster it would have been done had I not gone to SEMA. That said, SEMA is the highlight of my year and it is a far better car than before
not much to report, did a wiring project and fell a tree so fun stuff didn't really happen.editededited
That said
glued rails into the car
bQUYui8h.jpg
once this dries, do some epoxy make-it-look-good then onto the final acts of paint
​​​​​​​

stupid camera.... I have this picture
jH8qQOVh.jpg
but no results... ah well... I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see it in place

promised picture
NUg4OSth.jpg

it wasn't drying fast, so I added heat.edited The coating is water-based, so making it flow is pretty easy (just add water)... of course, the temps are low then it dries slower....edited

Did primer...
got bugs doing the breast stroke
6QuwUcJh.jpg

got set up, covered everything up
UIuJO3rh.jpg
and got to it
same view, with primer
iiwKJvph.jpg
2QVdiFnh.jpg
new views, with primer
t6aCradh.jpg
M3zjSVAh.jpg
flares turned out okay
2QVdiFnh.jpg
I'm still not thrilled with the left front, but I think, by these pictures, I see what I need to do so it shouldn't be too bad to get it in line
of course, cleanup took longer then the actual painting
bTe18CMh.jpg
uc9IUxqh.jpg

lots of little things, but overall, it took a big leap to done

so I took pictures earlier.... for whatever reason they didn't get on the memory card... so these are round 2.edited The first set had Buick in my Buick wagon snoozing.
I dunno, maybe either use it as a template or cut it down so it clears the air cleaner
AhedIZBh.jpg
it turned out a lot better then I expected
gfIuSLuh.jpg
hard to see but the front flare is now nearly close enough
qMRL9Qah.jpg
other side for comparison
ii79x7Gh.jpg

tomorrow I'll do a walk around with a to-do list.... it's not bad

so I may outsource the actual coloring of this car - which means I need to get the major done now....edited
it's good enough for white.... not black, yet
TgH7FH7h.jpg
this gives a good perspective of the front fenders
9YAAppzh.jpg
much sanding later
jqtdMPHh.jpg

time to cut a hole
VTmxcLbh.jpg
r5p3uiuh.jpg
K0qXZ5dh.jpg
6PBF3A4h.jpg
1EX11woh.jpg
no going back now
EwhuGHLh.jpg
and voila
​​​​​​​hOqpubrh.jpg

Very NICE! The "grill" seems like a niche product for sure.

Could be driven with temperature activated solenoid - a bit more complicated construction - but useful.

Cheers - Jim

Could be driven with temperature activated solenoid - a bit more complicated construction - but useful.

Cheers - Jim

I agree, I made a conscious decision to use this for now then build exactly what you're suggesting once it's on the road. There's several things on that list, such as:

Corbeau seats (though these may happen soon)
race-prep transmission with scattershield
go-fast a-arms
splitter
wing spoiler
custom center console

I don't want to wait another year to get this on the road so some accommodations are being made now to things that I can change pretty easily later.

I don't want to wait another year to get this on the road so some accommodations are being made now to things that I can change pretty easily later.

Chris - I hear that! I'm in final phases on the SR to get a few final races then prep to sell. Then to get back on the 'vette. You've made a lot of progress that I need to do as well. And many of the same items on my punch list.

Cheers - Jim

Cheers - Jim

I agree, I made a conscious decision to use this for now then build exactly what you're suggesting once it's on the road. There's several things on that list, such as:

Corbeau seats (though these may happen soon)
race-prep transmission with scattershield
go-fast a-arms
splitter
wing spoiler
custom center console

Kirkey seats might be more appropriate :)

Kirkey - with bead set installed!

But with all that great welding skill - maybe a custom made Aluminium (downunder spelling intentional) Bucket. I have a set of plans I got from Rorty:

p3201283_large.jpg

They used to be posted free and now I see he is asking $10AUS ($6-7 USD) but you get manual and dxf's if you want to cut your own - or he'll sell you a cut set and you fold and weld. ($190AUS or about $120US -+ shipping from OZ.)

If you do your own layout - another niche market? I'd have to look to see what gauge he is using - but I'd bet you'd figure it out.

Cheers - Jim

it'd be cool to build....

bent to hood contour
i1GLHpih.jpg
I seriously hope this is the last time to fit the doors before paint
5xwSnWqh.jpg
lHIhNUqh.jpg
sexy
tLZPSWNh.jpg
finally the front flare is showing the right shape
​​​​​​​1RqRh0Yh.jpg

Lots of pictures, but the point is it's pretty much all sanding today
FmpYer6h.jpg
cGxbXehh.jpg
all of these are low spots
ZoZfLyMh.jpg
o8NBnwQh.jpg
and chips
XTfO3fih.jpg
KGEg4iRh.jpg
and fill
7DmaGdAh.jpg
so twice this amount of liquid and you get peanut butter
7DmaGdAh.jpg
leDG8Pch.jpg
FzYzlz2h.jpg
you have no idea how tempted I am to paint this white
9XtcCpvh.jpg
uo9bLajh.jpg
4kMXiBih.jpg

so while the filler is drying... onto the Buick
​​​​​​​

so I used the wrong squirt nozzle for the epoxy, so I got to remove what wasn't drying and replace it
oops
j1hQ3Dvh.jpg

then tonight I got to use all-of-my-epoxy-knowledge and help another person.... I know what the blind leading the blind looks like.... his turned out better then mine - but I think he had more YouTube videos under his belt ;)edited

and for the record, he would have made the same mistake I did.edited West Systems comes with 3 dispense pumps.edited 2 are for the hardener, one is for resin.... but one of the hardener tops is the same size as the resin (they all come with varying lengths of pickup tubes).... tonight as I was mixing the new batch I noticed printing which illuminated my error.edited It's a really easy error to make so don't be me :)

especially here on VetteMod. I know it seems like I know what I'm doing - and many times I do - but if you follow what I do, trust but verify ... I'm not ashamed of learning, but following what I do comes with an inherent risk that I may not.... when it comes to fiberglass or epoxy work.... please keep in mind that this is for your entertainment, not instruction.