Plastic Fantastic 2

Can't blame you if you just sit and stare a bit. It is pretty.
Oh yeah, NICE Pipes.

Are those "shrouded?" My wife got a fierce burn on mine in '81, I fixed that same year - Used the fiberglass GS covers.

Cheers, Jim

Can't blame you if you just sit and stare a bit. It is pretty.
Oh yeah, NICE Pipes.

Are those "shrouded?" My wife got a fierce burn on mine in '81, I fixed that same year - Used the fiberglass GS covers.

Cheers, Jim

I'm seriously considering painting them black. I'm also going to haul a couple welding blankets with me to cover them if I take it to car shows.... as for regular protection - people get warned, the last one I had yellow tape on the dash with the words "the side pipes are hot, don't touch them" on it... and to be honest, I worry less about the part under the door because there's an insert in that area - so the outside isn't as warm and it cools very quickly... it's the 4 pipes section - that is 700+ degrees.

Last edited:
more polishing
YnST0ZXh.jpg
dl7ptUMh.jpg
spun it around, tossed it on the lift
IRkNXNoh.jpg
ugh, a run
BsaTlY7h.jpg
undercoated the wheel wells, this is very important because if rocks hit the fender from the tire - you'll chip paint
XjrGuY5h.jpg
same story, verse 2
Zh2yRNxh.jpg

I'm going to murder this out.... everything black - thought about brushed stainless but no, black is better
t63KG1Bh.jpg

WICKED! Black interior too? Very Wicked. (Elvira is taken...)

I just about finished the SR. Wide black stripe on white, 1/2" red reflective tape separating. R&R paint job - Rustoleum and Roller - no Tip. Good enough for about 5 feet - because racecar.

My point here, I really liked the Meguiar's products. Finished off all the compounding and polish with the sealant and then the yellow wax - one word SLICK. With a very deep reflectivity and shine.

Are you considering a BRA? DIY was surprisingly easy.

Nice work - look forward to the rest of the story.

Because I have quite of bit of 'extra' time to work on it; I've taken to calling it Covette19.... and yes, everything black... not all shiny black, I'd like to put the Corvette race face (whatever it's really called) that's on the C7.R in flat black on the hood along with scallop stripes on the fenders. There's a flaw in the paint on the rear, so I might also make that flat black

that looks great. I know you are very happy. , we had a black corvette until one day when we were washing it we realized it had a faint metal flake in it and it was actually the darkest blue color we had ever seen, you could only see it in the mid day sun.

that looks great. I know you are very happy. , we had a black corvette until one day when we were washing it we realized it had a faint metal flake in it and it was actually the darkest blue color we had ever seen, you could only see it in the mid day sun.

I promise this one is black.... it looks like shiny crude oil in the sun

making the pile smaller
the louver was hitting the air cleaner... so I shaved the base at an angle... clearance
u8Rvou4h.jpg
lordy does it get dusty
ubdeZuDh.jpg
but I like it and the louvers clear
zse1MUmh.jpg
blacking out side pipes
jkpyZRch.jpg
sand then hang
I1LzvvDh.jpg
then bake the coating on
dOd3uR0h.jpg
ASpeMhRh.jpg
yep, thinking I like it
2FP1DUZh.jpg
​​​​​​​
this is a test... paint would not survive here for long, but I wanted to see what it'd look like anodized black
vGOMBkLh.jpg
6TFyWzCh.jpg
now to take it to the coater.... yes, I like it a lot
31DmYhbh.jpg

this is the last bit I need to polish and paint...
S4mQA40h.jpg

my biggest fans
zHASmRW.jpg
mirrors... going to make them black too.... just not 100% sure how
Mgs6KCh.jpg
even the carpet is now down for a good clean
fKTCkp8.jpg
hmmmm.edited should I use it?
rkL7b7F.jpg
my stack of chrome to make black.... I may have a plan for this, though
bS4AT4a.jpg
fittings and hose... but not enough fittings... I also have yet another bracket system on its way, so nothing is set until that gets here
eN0bTyb.jpg
wVmSGLG.jpg

for the next person doing this... 5/8, 16mm 18mm, 18mm, 18mm
that is... the fitting size for the PS pump, the pump-to-hydroboost size, the hydroboost to the steering rack an finally the steering rack outlet....

the pointless existence of painting parts
n0iYyHth.jpg
and scrub the wheels...edited
d7AP0ehh.jpg
so here it goes.... use header paint on the stainless and chrome
EMSF8wAh.jpg
except rockers that get rocker paint
N8cwe73h.jpg
these are going to be a challenge
nKgK4noh.jpg
and why not, while I'm at it, replace the windshield
VKfmo1Ah.jpg
in my defense, the window has to come out to get those chrome corners off
hrZK3DQh.jpg
it did come out, but not without a fight, likely this is original GM
3fVYPdeh.jpg
URtgVauh.jpg

and a bit of rust converter
l5EaARfh.jpg

​​​​​​​tomorrow more of the same, but I can start putting it back together....edited

I basically gave up trying to find mounts and pulleys... the biggest issue was the thicker dual port power steering pump with the short water pump
m3jvhrJh.jpg.edited

take off the pulleys
mOC4OXAh.jpg
m1JuDnDh.jpg
NgmeMN4h.jpg
new pulleys
2kWhFbBh.jpg
installed
brkzJxnh.jpg
and finally starting to mount the filler
t2HqfY4h.jpg
NZ0PkLih.jpg
b7rRbnih.jpg

That was your DIY anodize - right? Easy? Fumes a problem? Fans/vented - doing outside? I've been considering trying the approach - any recommendations? [Maybe a separate thread - or download section]

Looking real good.

Cheers - Jim