Plastic Fantastic 2

so since the '40 wasn't cooperating, time to carry on with the task I've been dreading... door reassembly
this picture was after 3 hours of work
WaI2cJ8h.jpg
then installed its power window motor (which then didn't actuate like it should....)
fzOqu3ch.jpg
hour 4
5QWmy2Hh.jpg
finally using the one, new part that came with the car
Evhn4UYh.jpg
clean glass
AJPZCLBh.jpg

and I'm missing one clip... I can finish assembling the passenger door but the other side, I can't install the handle without the clip.... ugh
​​​​​​​

so I'm so glad I have the other door assembled ....edited
this, is a nightmare
gDJwZxRh.jpg
8sHq75fh.jpg
lots of adjusting left
7qnH4EEh.jpg
sU687GTh.jpg
​​​​​​​FmFowXmh.jpg
and it works... but I need to order a relay
SVt6O7kh.jpg

I'm dreading door reassembly as well. I need to rebuild both sides anyway. They were all shot and rattly at the 17 year mark, the only thing keeping them from rattling now is that the car is parked.

I'm dreading door reassembly as well. I need to rebuild both sides anyway. They were all shot and rattly at the 17 year mark, the only thing keeping them from rattling now is that the car is parked.

I have tips.
1) remove the blocks (one bolt, it will fall into the door if you don't hang onto the block) at the top of each door rail (picture)
here
FmFowXmh.jpg
and here
sU687GTh.jpg
2) take the nuts out of the cross channel that is bolted directly to the glass - there is an access hole for the front nut
3) loosen the rail bolts (what you just took the blocks out of)
4) gently pry the studs out of the rail and pull up a bit
5) remove glass guide (the missing bolt to the right of the track holders)
FmFowXmh.jpg

6) pull the glass straight up - it may hang a bit on the front guide rail but a bit of gentle prying will get it past that obstruction
SVt6O7kh.jpg

to put it back, slide the front wheel in first (requires prying, again).

If you're working with the latch - life is MUCH easier if you unclip the rod from the inner door handle pivot

here is what is inside the door looks like on the ground
Window-16b-e1460402511335.jpg

AWESOME! Just the push in the right direction I need. I may try to tackle putting the driver's side back together when it cools down here in Texas. I could play with adjusting the passenger side now though... Thanks for the tips!

glad to help

my nemesis
K5Jd3FTh.jpg
the fight
iwds1BVh.jpg
trBfkL6h.jpg
I win.editededited
FzWWiIjh.jpg

the dash is mostly together, but I still need to work on the center stack...
1wYJMYmh.jpg

and now a driver's side window
RGOgXBGh.jpg
which I'm still awaiting parts...

drilling the back acrylic for fasteners
PSeBqRnh.jpg
qd8BMQwh.jpg
60 degree bit for the win
XRdFtw3h.jpg
still have a long ways to go, but at least now it looks like a mostly assembled car
YRhmLrmh.jpg
for example, I need to put the keyless locks in the doors... so these aren't on permanently.edited someday, I'll buy new ones
goYNz9th.jpg
0yKu6bsh.jpg
oh paint guy....edited
vCDepf6h.jpg
fitting the top
yOeoqYBh.jpg
but yet
xdnrGlbh.jpg
iTEp0xYh.jpg
​​​​​​​uSOr1NHh.jpg

finish up work on the interior... didn't get done but got further
A9dMQQYh.jpg
yes, that's gorilla tape edging, I'm no Val
aBydhy0h.jpg
roll bar took some modifying
736mhwrh.jpg
lCfgo58h.jpg
ls99Ibih.jpg
seatbelts are probably a good idea in this
kONEFSoh.jpg
once the bar is in, the rear window can't exit the car... though it stores behind the seat so it's all good
jGaqqpjh.jpg
RL2Juo4h.jpg
a bit more work inside until it's done
​​​​​​​4P6Ei5dh.jpg
took this for a quick spin down my driveway..... lordy
66fkVaqh.jpg
ZzsMiRwh.jpg
8J4nNgVh.jpg

I hit the road with it (less than 2 miles)... my first impression is it's a light switch, but imagine staring into a floodlight then it goes super nova. takes-your-breath-away-fast. This is the first, fast BBC I've owned.... I'm sold. with a mere 433 cubes.

I hit the road with it (less than 2 miles)... my first impression is it's a light switch, but imagine staring into a floodlight then it goes super nova. takes-your-breath-away-fast. This is the first, fast BBC I've owned.... I'm sold. with a mere 433 cubes.

Glad to hear it. People seem to be LS focused, but to me a 500hp LS is not like a 500hp BB chev.

Car looks great in those photos.

Glad to hear it. People seem to be LS focused, but to me a 500hp LS is not like a 500hp BB chev.

I've always thought the BBC had better flow potential over a LS. Also, more cubes equal easier, more usable power bands (I get away with 4 speeds because I have torque and hp). The LS is a great platform, however, I think for things which don't just impress on a dyno - BBC are the under sung hero. Also, I plan on running this in the Optima challenge, all the others are using LS motors - using a BBC should help distinguish it from all the rest. That said, if I had to deal with vehicle, emission testing... this BBC would be on a stand in my garage.

Dyno-time soon?

Those black wheels are starting to grow on me. You still thinking Bronze?

Cheers - JIm

Dyno, eventually, at this point I can get it close and honestly it's got enough power that fine tuning may not gain me much of anything useful....

there will be refinements to its style - bronze or dark bronze would be cool - but it and aftermarket seats (and door panels) are things that will come later.... maybe after my budget has recovered a bit...

I've always thought the BBC had better flow potential over a LS. Also, more cubes equal easier, more usable power bands (I get away with 4 speeds because I have torque and hp). The LS is a great platform, however, I think for things which don't just impress on a dyno - BBC are the under sung hero. Also, I plan on running this in the Optima challenge, all the others are using LS motors - using a BBC should help distinguish it from all the rest. That said, if I had to deal with vehicle, emission testing... this BBC would be on a stand in my garage.

Dyno-time soon?

Those black wheels are starting to grow on me. You still thinking Bronze?

Cheers - JIm

Dyno, eventually, at this point I can get it close and honestly it's got enough power that fine tuning may not gain me much of anything useful....

there will be refinements to its style - bronze or dark bronze would be cool - but it and aftermarket seats (and door panels) are things that will come later.... maybe after my budget has recovered a bit...

As a case in point regarding BBCs, as of Aug 14 this year the fastest piston powered car on earth is George Poteet's 557 CI, twin turbo BBC making almost 3200 hp. He ran 470 at Bonneville during Speed Week in Speed Demon.

Cheers

while this is my first truly fast big block, I've had them in 1st gen Camaros - and I've always liked them.... if they can fit, dollar for dollar they are the best value. That said, I suspect that people like you and I are going to cause a renaissance to BB power. Weights for those curious. 530 SBC, 580 LS, 660 BBC. with that said, I have a friend with (soon) a 427 SBC Dart block.... the scales are coming out.

Since somebody doesn't think I'm grounded... here's a ground
mIaBDrhh.jpg

my life with black cars in one picture...
Mx0sXhEh.jpg

seat bolted in, seat belts (bonus) and ready to go to get aligned tomorrow.
qTWcpcuh.jpg

windows still don't go up.... that's maybe next on my list
​​​​​​​tv5q1h3h.jpg

Last edited:
and time to start making it fast
first was fix the throttle pedal (to get full throttle and not take 40 lbs of effort) and connect the vacuum advance
MFo95J9.jpg
noticed I could see the core support - distracting, but not anymore
UODicfT.jpg
full tank of fuel
g2qyd5R.jpg

those are pretty good numbers :)

for those curious, this is stock
Curb weight, lb

Weight distribution (with driver), front/rear, %

49/51
Speed on 100-ft radius, mph

Lateral acceleration, g

Speed thru 700-ft slalom, mph

Speed on 100-ft radius, mph

Lateral acceleration, g

Speed thru 700-ft slalom, mph

Last edited:

As a case in point regarding BBCs, as of Aug 14 this year the fastest piston powered car on earth is George Poteet's 557 CI, twin turbo BBC making almost 3200 hp. He ran 470 at Bonneville during Speed Week in Speed Demon.

Cheers

Every time I see numbers like that, I wish the Chevy guys in the ol' Can-Am series had gotten serious about turbocharging their big blocks a couple years earlier. Even at 40% of that power, that would have been enough to keep up with the Porsche 917-30.