Plastic Fantastic 2

how much closer can you get the weight? or are you satisfied with that. it looks pretty good to me

The goal is not to be under 3200, most of the cars in the class are north of 3500 lbs, 1/2 tank is a 42 lb weight reduction, the racing seats will probably lose me another 20-30 lbs for the pair.... that puts me at roughly 3100 lbs in a class that requires 3200 (or you have to play with the race cars - tube chassis, etc).... I can't imagine being less than 200 lbs so that total weight with driver of 3300 lbs seems like a good place to start. Add to this that my lack of skills should make for quite a bit of entertainment.... not sure being right on the weight would make any difference.... but time will tell

been enjoying watching this race.... dang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZ...rqcm4uuZD6WscnR0v14ksnFMAJ1BQpTJovJDEGbTfbIhM

one thing that was a pleasant surprise. It drives very light. My other Corvettes seemed to be a bit heavy, the BMW 3 series felt lighter, and of course the Miatas/Jettas, etc all feel very light. This one drives like a Miata (well, until the go pedal is pressed).... I wasn't expecting that, but it was a nice surprise

Last edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZ...rqcm4uuZD6WscnR0v14ksnFMAJ1BQpTJovJDEGbTfbIhM

one thing that was a pleasant surprise. It drives very light. My other Corvettes seemed to be a bit heavy, the BMW 3 series felt lighter, and of course the Miatas/Jettas, etc all feel very light. This one drives like a Miata (well, until the go pedal is pressed).... I wasn't expecting that, but it was a nice surprise

Fun video. You should have eliminated the "throttle loose" condition that all C-3s have with your IRS. Looks like they were having a lot of fun.....but that's certainly not the fastest way around the track.

Fun video. You should have eliminated the "throttle loose" condition that all C-3s have with your IRS. Looks like they were having a lot of fun.....but that's certainly not the fastest way around the track.

while it looks the same, that black one isn't my car.... It got shared because it caused me to pucker about every time they nearly crashed into each other.... what is fun, though, I was reading the rules for SVRA Group 6 and my setup isn't outright prohibited - except I'd have to remove the EFI.... (and now you know the rabbit hole I fell down which lead to watching that video)

Last edited:
while it looks the same, that black one isn't my car.... It got shared because it caused me to pucker about every time they nearly crashed into each other.... what is fun, though, I was reading the rules for SVRA Group 6 and my setup isn't outright prohibited - except I'd have to remove the EFI.... (and now you know the rabbit hole I fell down which lead to watching that video)

I don't think any of your suspension is legal for group 6. You can't use fabricated control arms (which implies anything different than the stock appearing C-3 arms) and in the rear you must use a stock appearing trailing arm (offset is okay) with the stock mounting location. Nice try though. LOL

I don't think any of your suspension is legal for group 6. You can't use fabricated control arms (which implies anything different than the stock appearing C-3 arms) and in the rear you must use a stock appearing trailing arm (offset is okay) with the stock mounting location. Nice try though. LOL

I once had a cop believing that seat belts weren't mandatory in a car built in 1970.... :2nd: of course, this was the same cop who stopped me because "she heard a tire squeal" and after a bit of talking, I found out it must have been me.... it was, but how she knew it was me instead of the 100 or so other cars at the intersection is a question for the ages....

and just for the record, they are all stock mounting points....

I have little illusion that Optima will toss my car into the open (outlaw) class next year.... even though this year, it meets the rules for the older group.

weights... it did take quite a bit of time, but at least it seems to be pretty close now... first... always rock your car... or lose 200 lbs
B5nkb9Ph.jpg
GbuZkBEh.jpg

the result....edited
POxUqNhh.jpg
that is with me in the driver's seat and a full tank of fuel

and you have no idea how tempted I am to cut the two seats apart and make one that fits AND holds me in place
​​​​​​​ElbtUyth.jpg

and for the record, since my wife brought it up again tonight, I am not in love with the black wheels... I'm seriously considering Z06 wheels.... black, of course, but not that black

don't mind me going forward, while I have quite a bit of karting and shifter kart experience - this.... is .... new. I just ask one thing, if I'm making a mistake - telling me (with an explanation would be cool too) before rather than "I told you so" after would be awesome.

I say this because there are a lot of people I know of and respect here - and it was with more than a little concern that I posted this build here.... picture grade schooler giving a lecture to people with doctorates... only I'm not sure I'm even to grade school status.

I know, I know, I've gone without an e-brake in my '40 for years.... but still
time to make it work on this - chop up the old
g81Co7zh.jpg

5/32 wire... who uses 5/32 wire? gm, apparently
Nahevukh.jpg

so when I get crimpable ferrules on Wednesday, I'll mark this done

it was with more than a little concern that I posted this build here.... picture grade schooler giving a lecture to people with doctorates... only I'm not sure I'm even to grade school status.

Well, I'm impressed with your project. I suspected it would be good after watching the landcruiser project. You've accomplished a lot on this car.

Looking forward to more developments.

thx
wait, what happened? the seats were installed
4X7EDTkh.jpg
these needed clean and paint
NuTCmMeh.jpg
so these came out
vGAGpQlh.jpg
derust
SEdgUi3h.jpg
so I decided the seat belts would work better in the '40.... better, in that they could actually be adjusted once installed
ZDlh7Ach.jpg

so the race harnesses are in the C3, and it's easier to fix the windows and wire the door locks with it out.edited Not just that but the center console needs to be fastened in place....edited

and now, taking it further apart - but with new seat belts
VxSU1F0h.jpg
took a bit of modification to fit
mV29M0zh.jpg
DQGytKmh.jpg
oh yeah, and fixing the paint so white doesn't show
BLDx8Xwh.jpg
QBFI2o1h.jpg
FBTtSoth.jpg

glue the 4 speed tag on? oh I can do better than that
B1ZxZx5h.jpg

seat rails painted
rRcm8x1h.jpg

camera battery died, but the next picture would have shown the dash completely removed
Qb580sYh.jpg

the power windows weren't getting power.edited The short version, I now know where that orange wire with the red plug goes.... of course, I had nicely tucked it up in the dash about the same level as the headlight switch - which meant pulling it all apart.edited Ah well, they work now

I didn't know there were two different grades of Unobtanium. I guess the NCRS grade is the more rare specimen... I bet you could whip up something better than either of those options for next to nothing.

Story of today.edited So I had a list, ugh.edited wash the cars, wax the Corvette, do a bunch of house stuff.edited What really happened.edited Washed the Jeep - took a family picture
oz5nCvXh.jpg
note the C3 isn't in the lineup.... yeah, well it hadn't been waxed, then it got waxed
looks great and the wheels are growing on me
cFX2k9jh.jpg
to the observant, you'll notice less brightness... it was far later in the day
pH8apVLh.jpg
nice looking family, eh?
YNimzI4h.jpg
I also 3000 grit wet sanded then wooled then did a number 2 (wool is number 1), then a wax
apxw69Qh.jpg
it's here that we should mention the brand new starter, the starter that was supposed to be able to handle the hp, died
B1m7DHRh.jpg
but that's more the ending of this story.
she is a beauty
89uvWT6h.jpg
0Jfw07Uh.jpg

good night.

what, you want a story? fine... here it goes.
The car has 22 miles on it now. 11 to the alignment and fuel then the same trip today...
I was supposed to 'debut' the car at a show today - however, by the time I got to mile 16, the gauges stopped working. Clock was working fine, but something nailed the fuse for the gauges.... it also was, according to the FiTech, supposed to have its fan on.edited Related? probably but because I had promised to be at the show, I ran back home, grabbed the '40 (which ran awesome), and went to my commitment.edited Got home, made steak, and if this isn't making a lot of sense.... the steak was good and I need a nap.
But I wanted pictures of it, so the pictures where the starter said 'no' is above.edited I'll fix it tomorrow but that was the story of the day, it's actually running okay - but I have a lot of tuning left to do with the FiTech.edited Just based on the 2 I have, I say they send them out where they run a bit lean - which makes starting this beast a challenge.edited So tuning, - which means, adding fuel - at this point it's all about 20% more than factory settings and not enough... of course, if the starter hadn't died I might have been able to figure this out.edited Oh and I forgot, the battery died too - that was the reason behind no C3 in the family photos.... that said, I've had a lot of interest in buying it - so who knows, I doubt someone will give me what I want but they didn't blink when I told them the minimum number...edited