Project Menace: 1972 C3 Corvette

why not simply use crushed fiber matte? It can easily be formed around the contours that you have in that area. What's all the yellow stuff?? I'm trying to understand why they do things the way they do...maybe I can learn something from it.

For instance, when looking at their site...this I don't understand. What's going on here? Do they love sanding???

tn_1200_fafaadd3c03087552175e3c744856b13.JPG.png

why not simply use crushed fiber matte? It can easily be formed around the contours that you have in that area. What's all the yellow stuff?? I'm trying to understand why they do things the way they do...maybe I can learn something from it.

For instance, when looking at their site...this I don't understand. What's going on here? Do they love sanding???

All I can say is woooooooooow ..... I've never seen a fiberglass repair where resin is running down other panels. My work aint even that bad, well most of it at any rate.

i dont know... its heartland that chooses theyre methods and materials based on theyre wide experience.. ill fully trust on that..

but for specific technical questions i know jeff of heartlandcustoms does not mind answering any kind of questions.. [email protected]

All I can say is woooooooooow ..... I've never seen a fiberglass repair where resin is running down other panels. My work aint even that bad, well most of it at any rate.

this is the back later.. looks pretty neath.. no worries about the skills of heartland customs.. :))

IMG_5252.jpg

Just a guess here - they might not have calculated and measured the resin to glass ratio - or got their ratios off.
So, when there was a bunch of resin left in the pot -- laid it on before it cooked. So what you get: a resin rich lay-up that will add a lot of weight and sanding -- BUT no dry pockets - if well stippled.
Sorry, when building boats with heaps of resin and money at stake - tend to mid those mixes a little closer.
"It's a Profit Deal." (Steve Martin- The Jerk)

but the runny resin is a bitch to sand off compared to the composite matrix of cured resin and matte.

my other issues are, there are obiously 2 different surfaces under all that glass work, the dark looks like that's the bare glass, but large areas have what looks like that same yellow stuff under there. What is that? Evercoat gold sanding filler?

I always mask off areas around the repair, this makes sanding a lot easier. When sanding the repair, if you cut through the masking tape you know you're about to dig into the original panel and need to take it a little slower, I see nothing of that sort.

tn_1200_23252611b193ef8ac0470e7f6ab3a8e4.jpg.png

same here

tn_1200_987d6a5a763d73ad21df0a1aecc80bbd.JPG.png

I would really like to know what's going on. For instance, if you check out Stingers project, he has a ton of pics illustrating his glass work. He uses masking tape too, I do it similar, if not exactly like him. Have some pics in the 63 resto topic. No offence to heartland but this looks like "my 1st fiberglass job" I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't understand why they do it like this. Like I said, they must love to sand???? I've seen the ZR1/C2 they did and it's amazing.

but the runny resin is a bitch to sand off compared to the composite matrix of cured resin and matte.

my other issues are, there are obiously 2 different surfaces under all that glass work, the dark looks like that's the bare glass, but large areas have what looks like that same yellow stuff under there. What is that? Evercoat gold sanding filler?

I always mask off areas around the repair, this makes sanding a lot easier. When sanding the repair, if you cut through the masking tape you know you're about to dig into the original panel and need to take it a little slower, I see nothing of that sort.

tn_1200_23252611b193ef8ac0470e7f6ab3a8e4.jpg.png

same here

tn_1200_987d6a5a763d73ad21df0a1aecc80bbd.JPG.png

I would really like to know what's going on. For instance, if you check out Stingers project, he has a ton of pics illustrating his glass work. He uses masking tape too, I do it similar, if not exactly like him. Have some pics in the 63 resto topic. No offence to heartland but this looks like "my 1st fiberglass job" I'm sure they know what they're doing but I don't understand why they do it like this. Like I said, they must love to sand???? I've seen the ZR1/C2 they did and it's amazing.

I agree that masking off panels and being more careful is the correct method when making small fiberglass repairs, but the entire rear of my car was so thin that it completely needed to be refiberglassed. Why would he take time to mask off an area that is going to get fully sanded and body worked?

The area where you see resin running down the side of the car was also fiberglassed over and sanded.

You are explaining how you do a small repair, not how you completely fiberglass a car..

Also the yellow is a two part foam that Jeff use to give him backing substance in order to fiberglass on and then the foam is taken out from the back side

Some of those areas like the side marker lights is just the light shining though the ungel coated fyberglass.

grtz, dennis

I meant the yellow on the decklid.
Wasn't talking small repairs. I repaired a whole front clip, fenders and other body parts and never did it like that. The thin deck explains all the layup.
I use foam to give structure under holes too, I also use playdough and wax paper.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I meant the yellow on the decklid.
Wasn't talking small repairs. I repaired a whole front clip, fenders and other body parts and never did it like that. The thin deck explains all the layup.
I use foam to give structure under holes too, I also use playdough and wax paper.

ok.. i havent got more to tell then i allready did about the way of work.. Ill know its treated good..

Ill keep you guys posted

People laugh at my barbaric ways but whatever gets the job done is all that matters. But I am curious the mention of "the deck was thin" when I converted my 82 to a convertible the 75 deck was thin in areas but doesn't seem to be a issue. The factory made it like that and I see no stress cracks and what not. So why were they concerned about it or did there blasting media heavily pit and expose fibers and that is why they choose to try and glass the whole deck?

To me it looks like they tried to fill the vents in the deck by glassing in the recessed area then to make it level glassing over the whole deck. In some pictures it looks like they glasses over the original primer sealer, and seam bondo and I would think over time that will delaminate (might be wrong) though.

If the deck was a issue and the body off, I am curious why they didn't reinforce from the underside instead.

good news...

tom nelson finished my engine...

here the video.....

http://youtu.be/9K4g0bKEtBU

Bad news.. i ordered an aluminium block and due to a mistake Tom made an iron one..

Hes gonna rebuild the whole engine with an aluminium block

But we van joy the sound allready... this is gonna be my ringtone...:))

good news...

here the video.....

Bad news.. i ordered an aluminium block and due to a mistake Tom made an iron one..

sorry wrong link...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K4g0bKEtBU[/ame]

He says that motor sound "so pissed off"
Thats not pissed off, it's more like a rage...

Bad mo-fo for sure , hey Dennis, the way that water pump suck the water... you will need some solid rad hoses.
awsome!

good news...

here the video.....

sorry wrong link...

I already fixed the link in your original post.
Sounds awesome for sure, love the blacked out anodized.

good news...

here the video.....

sorry wrong link...

I already fixed the link in your original post.
Sounds awesome for sure, love the blacked out anodized.

ok.. thx!

SPECvette

I was talking to Jeff this afternoon by phone.. He has been bussy lately with a whole new thing calles SPECvettes

Can be quite interesting for those who are following my build and are interesting in having one buld themself at a fixed budget.

Whats mostly in these kind of builds is that you have to work with open budget, but SPECvettes gives the opportunity to have a custom car at a fixed budget..

Im not having shares in Heartland.. Just a customer thats enhousiastic about these cars and want to share this with others..

Please note that a car like mine will not be a SPECvette cause its way to custom. A specvette is more to the original but then with all modern technology

They look like these

IMG_5386.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5387.jpg

check

http://www.heartlandcustoms.us/SpecVettes.php

they will build a '66 convertible soon..

And here some pics of the '63 coupe that theyve build before and can be considered as a Specvette, but was build when the didnt offer this proposition.

01.jpg
001.jpg
50.jpg
64.jpg
70.jpg
74.jpg
72.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_2005.jpg

as i said.. no shares or other connection with heartland then that they are doing my build at this time.. Just hoping by telling this that this gives opportunities to some guys that are considering to do something like this and this make it reachable..

and if not.. enjoy these nice pics above..:)))

grtz
dennis

Parts arrived...

Friday was a good day.. A lot of my parts arrived..

IMG_5420.jpg

Here my custom chassis

IMG_5423.jpg
IMG_5425.jpg
IMG_5424.jpg
IMG_5426.jpg
IMG_5422.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5433.jpg

The centennial wheels.. wich will be titanim colour

IMG_5436.jpg

here the rears, 345 wide

IMG_5428.jpg

Front, 285 wide

IMG_5427.jpg

Carbon ZR1 bakes and callipers

IMG_5419.jpg

machined gauges

Here the first pictures of the machined gauges.. updates will come soon!!

IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg
IMG_5458.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg
IMG_5446.jpg
IMG_5456.jpg
IMG_5453.jpg
IMG_5447.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5442.jpg

Should result in this..

IMG_5316.jpg

I was talking to Jeff this afternoon by phone.. He has been bussy lately with a whole new thing calles SPECvettes

Can be quite interesting for those who are following my build and are interesting in having one buld themself at a fixed budget.

Whats mostly in these kind of builds is that you have to work with open budget, but SPECvettes gives the opportunity to have a custom car at a fixed budget..

Im not having shares in Heartland.. Just a customer thats enhousiastic about these cars and want to share this with others..

Please note that a car like mine will not be a SPECvette cause its way to custom. A specvette is more to the original but then with all modern technology

They look like these

IMG_5386.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5387.jpg

No matter what vehicle it is, I never have liked that "wheel buried in the fender" look. It throws off the whole lines of the vehicle. IMHO, unless it's a skirted fender, there should always be a fairly consistent gap between the tire and the fender arch. No offense to those who like that look, it's just not for me.

Edit - the silver '63 couple pulls it off much better, though I'm not sure exactly how. Something about the wheel/fender proportioning looks much better to my eye.

Love that custom dash, BTW.

The whole design of these is a bit "over the top" for my tastes, but I'm sure there is a market for a well-built "production custom." type car.

Last edited: