Weight reduction: Running out of ideas.

Was at a track day at Topeka yesterday. At tech inspection I wandered over to the scales to take advantage of the opportunity. Car was 2895#, with 1357# on the rear when I moved the front axles off the scale...

Wow! Full interior and a BBC?! Very impressive :thumbs:

My '78 Non-Tilt/Non-Tele weighs in @ 17.5# -- and its For Sale!
Includes a Grant aftermarket wheel - missing horn button - and needs some cleanup from sitting in the garage. Pics will follow or PM if interested!

Cheers - Jim

OBTW - Check out the latest posting on C5/C6 IRS over @ http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7751&page=5
it's a weight issue too!

I'm always interested in lighter stuff. I'm under the impression that there's some electrical wiring differences between the older and newer columns, but let me know what you're asking for it.

Includes a Grant aftermarket wheel - missing horn button - and needs some cleanup from sitting in the garage. Pics will follow or PM if interested!

Cheers - Jim

OBTW - Check out the latest posting on C5/C6 IRS over @ http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7751&page=5
it's a weight issue too!

I'm always interested in lighter stuff. I'm under the impression that there's some electrical wiring differences between the older and newer columns, but let me know what you're asking for it.

Mike, I have the OEM non tilt column from my '72, been gathering dust for some 18 years, I will take a air jet to it to cut shipping costs.....yours if you want it....

:clap:

Was at a track day at Topeka yesterday. At tech inspection I wandered over to the scales to take advantage of the opportunity. Car was 2895#, with 1357# on the rear when I moved the front axles off the scale.

:twitch: Dang! That's 55 pounds since the last time you weighed! I guess it all adds up.

Was doing some research on carburetors last night and Quick Fuel is claiming (one of) their carbs weigh 4.5 lbs less than a competitors carb...

I ended up buying their road race 650, Ill be reporting back if it is any lighter than my holley 650 or not :D

It is not all about the weight (and you really know that!!) All these choices always require a "bit" of balance - e.g., Power-to-Weight, weight to safety, weight - to - cost. If its lighter -- and same power effect - 5hit-h0t! If less power - just 5hit!
Balance!

Cheers - Jim

FYI, I'm installing Fiero seats, and they feel significantly lighter.
Made me also thinking, if you keep your seat always at the same position, you could replace seat track with simpler aluminum bracket.

Cheers - Jim

it's a weight issue too!

same here.... I don't use the tilt/telescopic function anyways..... :lol:

Cheers - Jim

it's a weight issue too!

Mike, I have the OEM non tilt column from my '72, been gathering dust for some 18 years, I will take a air jet to it to cut shipping costs.....yours if you want it....

:clap:

how easy is this swap??? wiring differences????

Was doing some research on carburetors last night and Quick Fuel is claiming (one of) their carbs weigh 4.5 lbs less than a competitors carb...

I ended up buying their road race 650, Ill be reporting back if it is any lighter than my holley 650 or not :D

I really need to get a scale to start weighing this stuff... My quick fuel carb came in today and is a good amount lighter than my holley. Almost 1/2 the weight according to my "hand scale":surrender: Got to be at least 2 lbs off the front end and high up!

I really need to get a scale to start weighing this stuff... My quick fuel carb came in today and is a good amount lighter than my holley. Almost 1/2 the weight according to my "hand scale":surrender: Got to be at least 2 lbs off the front end and high up!

Holley is offering aluminum body carbs. A little weight savings. Don't know what their resistance is to alcohol laced fuels. I'd think their traditional pot metal based carbs are very susceptible to corrosion from alcohol based fuels.

You already have the Wilwood Aluminum Calipers - but these come with an Aluminum Hat on the rotors;
12695262d7d905a8f.jpg

And, when you empty the wallet there are a few more ounces saved!
(They have the rears too - that is where the AL hats are.) That would make 112# or so for all 4 - minus the Wilwood Caliper weight difference...

Cheers - Jim

Save 56 pounds off of the front end? Sounds really great, how does the weight savings add up?

The stock cast iron brake calipers weigh about 16 pounds each. The aluminum calipers weigh about 8 pounds each. Ok, 16 pounds off the front by going to aluminum calipers. Where's the other 40 pounds coming from? Rotors with aluminum center pieces will reduce weight, but I don't think 40 pounds. I'd like to get weight off my cars were ever possible.

Just a word of caution: that brake setup pictured is for drag racing, not for street or track use..... It's different slowing your car own once at the end of the strip or 100x in 15 minutes.....
The rotrors are probably half as thick as stock, the hubs are probably aluminum..... Just guessing, havn't seen that particular kit in person.....

Karsten - Well Spoke!

But you can add thicker - RR Rotors and just adjust the width (spacers between the caliper housings) of the Aerospace Components brakes to match the rotors- slight weight penality. BUT, huge stopping 4 piston and weight savings to boot! I have the 4x4 pistons going on front and rear - for road racing. Will report as we complete. C5 Rotors on rear - thicker - C3s to start up front. And now -- C5 uprights - postings tomorrow, or next week as build... sorry I tease/

BTW -- dragging down a 3000# Beast from 200mph is no small task! Cooling the rotors for repeated use may be - like on a RR. Hope to know in a month or so.

68/70 - that is the TOTAL weight redux - not just the rotors -- the Aerospace Components Calipers are AL bodies AND Aluminum Hubs- so there is more there to account for.

Cheers - Jim

Ditched all the hood latch mechanism and went with allstar aluminum hood pins...

getting ready to ditch my stock steering column and mounts for the sweet steering column and mounts... I went with Ultrashield seats and kirkey alloy seat mounts...

Lighter is better unless you are talkin TRUCKS :clap:

replace hood with lightweight hood skin & dzus fasteners/pns although it would be a little obvious

You already have the Wilwood Aluminum Calipers - but these come with an Aluminum Hat on the rotors;
12695262d7d905a8f.jpg

And, when you empty the wallet there are a few more ounces saved!
(They have the rears too - that is where the AL hats are.) That would make 112# or so for all 4 - minus the Wilwood Caliper weight difference...

Cheers - Jim

The drag race stuff scares me. On a road course you need to use the brakes more than once.

IM000703.jpg

I got 12 or 13# per corner reduction on the front (can't remember if I weighed the calipers with the pads or not), and slightly less than that in the back using the narrower/lighter C4 rotors.