Weight reduction: Running out of ideas.

Maybe it has been said, but the original windscreen is about twice as thick as today's replacements. Lot of weight loss right there.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. The current windshield is a replacement (installed about 1985 IIRC). I might see if I have any luck measuring the thickness at the bottom near the cowl area, and then comparing that to some other windshields (new or original).

I have some later (lighter) side windows, but I'm still in the process of making them fit my earlier design door mechanisms.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Post up the thickness of your glass when you get a chance... I have a new PGW windshield in mine that Ill measure to compare

Post up the thickness of your glass when you get a chance... I have a new PGW windshield in mine that Ill measure to compare

Couldn't get a truly accurate measurement of the thickness with my caliper jaws as the wiper door opening wouldn't let me get the jaws in straight, so I had to use the depth gauge on the other end. Nearest I can figure, my windshield is about .225-.230" thick.

PGW windshield measures .1875" at the wiper base.

Well, looks like I've got the old style thick one. Shit.

Wonder what these windshields weigh, just to get a rough idea of the weight difference between .1875" thickness and .225" thickness? Is it even possible to remove these windshields without breaking them (for resale to someone else)?

I appreciate your info!

I tried to take my old one out myself without breaking it... Unfortunately that seemed impossible. This is my 3rd windshield in the car :push: and every time I see them remove the glass they destroy it. Although, if your glass is held in with the old style butle (sp?) I would think it may come out on a hot day or with a heat gun. Not a chance with the new glues they use.

A quick google search says the average windshield weighs 25lbs... a very rough estimate of a c3 windshield surface area of 2x4ft would give a volume of ~260in^3 at .225" thick.
At .1875" thick, it would be 216in^3
If that was the case it would be almost a 5lb savings. Not bad assuming my math is correct :footmouth: I had a new windshield put in for $200. Thats also not too bad if you look at it in lbs/$

PGW windshield measures .1875" at the wiper base.

Well, looks like I've got the old style thick one. Shit.

Wonder what these windshields weigh, just to get a rough idea of the weight difference between .1875" thickness and .225" thickness? Is it even possible to remove these windshields without breaking them (for resale to someone else)?

I appreciate your info!

My stepson was messing around in the pickup, and hit the windshield from inside with his fist, and broke it like a good size stone would from outside, huge spider web.....I got a used windshield at a junkyard, installed for 130 bux total,

It was a very interesting education they have a tool like a 18 volt Dewalt Sawzall, and in the blade position they had a metal tool shaped kind of like a flat shoe horn so the went around from inside hammering this thin blade into the glue crap, lifting the glass hardly at all, removing NONE of the interior trim, or outside trim either....sure the crack did expand with removal of the w/s but if it was intact, as exhibited by the used one they laid out to remove the gunk, they removed it off the frame too, put new gump down, flopped it in place, taped it up to the top to keep it in place, free to drive away, 2 daze later removed the tape....been fine, I was amazed at how thin the glass was....:D

Since I'm restoring the Astro ventilation tonight I took the liberty to weigh the complete piece including the vacuum can and the result?
1460 grams equal to 3 pounds!!

Hope this helps.
/Daniel

Since I'm restoring the Astro ventilation tonight I took the liberty to weigh the complete piece including the vacuum can and the result?
1460 grams equal to 3 pounds!!

Hope this helps.
/Daniel

Thanks. If you have an opportunity please post a picture of the assembly. I've got the front suspension torn apart right now and it's going to be a while before I stick my head inside the car to look at what's involved in removing the vent system.

I also just noticed the other day on ebay that some of the headlight bezels were metal?? Mine were fiberglass, presumably re-pros.

I also just noticed the other day on ebay that some of the headlight bezels were metal?? Mine were fiberglass, presumably re-pros.

My originals are potmetal. I've also got some spare bezels that are fiberglass. I don't know if they're later C3 bezels or re-pros. For some reason I thought they were/are in GM boxes.

Just curious, how was the rear vent stuff fastened? Bolts or rivets?

Hi,

Afew photos as promised.
The ventilation mechanism is obviously blasted in the photos. There are several layers of rubber or foam seals that is glued to the doors. Very disgusting stuff to remove... Hair, dust, animal parts and God knows what else:sick:

The complete assembly, It is screwed with 3 screws at each side. The vacuum can also has three screws. Weight 3 pounds.
187752cefe869c32a.jpg

Close up and vacuum can.
187752cefe86d7853.jpg

A photo that shows the flap door opened. The vacuum can only opens it an inch or so when it is assembled.
187752cefe8701e53.jpg