1969 427 restoration from Sweden

During the summer I became very irritated with all the dust that was collecting inside the engine bay. Perhaps this is normal, I do not know but, there is a big hole behind the twin Spal fans and the front engine crossmember. Normally this area is more or less filled by the original fan shroud and I suspect that this is the area where all the dust is entering the engine bay:eek:

So, I used the original fan shroud to make a new shroud to fill this area. I did the new shroud in glass fibre and then modded it to get a good fit between the cooler and front crossmember.

The photo shows the raw unfinished shroud.
18775342f11c76201.jpg

18775342f11c94282.jpg

Shroud fitted to car.

18775342f11c552a3.jpg

A alu plate bolts to the underside of the cooler, and the ends of the shroud is bolted to the original connections for the shroud at each side.

18775342f11c36286.jpg

Finished shroud.

I riveted rubber-bands around the circumference to get a tight fit to the frame and it also gives the shroud some support as the rubber rests on the frame towards the crossmember.
We will see if this solution will prevent the dust from entering the engine area or if it stays the same...

18775342f11cb3676.jpg

Last edited:
that looks good, so with the dual electric fans you don't need the air dam?

Thank´s!
No, the Spals has their own kind of shroud or, air dam. Looks completely different from the original and thereby leaving a big hole between the cooler and crossmember.
Here´s a photo of the Spals with their shroud. The hole is clearly visible at the bottom of the photo.

187750a81b38628d3.jpg

You still need that little air dam (spoiler) for when the fans are not running..... Like at 70km/h that air dam funnels enough air to the radiator that the fans don't have to be on to cool ..... At that speed the air dam probably (probably) moves more air thru the radiator than the fans......just my guess....i don't have any numbers to back this up.... But...... The air dam not only directs the air "upwards" , it also creates a low pressure area behind the dam and so helps "sucking" air thru the radiator..... At speeds higher than maybe 50 km/h ???

I bought mine for maybe $39 or so...... Well worth it.....

I think your belly pan might prevent that "low pressure" area from being created, I'd like to see when your fans come on - maybe install a temporary light that shows when the fans are on ?? Compare the temps with and without that belly pan that you built..... That would really be some interessting data.....

Keeps the nose down, too. My '77 had a bit of a habit of getting light in front at speed until I put a new chin spoiler on.

You still need that little air dam (spoiler) for when the fans are not running..... Like at 70km/h that air dam funnels enough air to the radiator that the fans don't have to be on to cool ..... At that speed the air dam probably (probably) moves more air thru the radiator than the fans......just my guess....i don't have any numbers to back this up.... But...... The air dam not only directs the air "upwards" , it also creates a low pressure area behind the dam and so helps "sucking" air thru the radiator..... At speeds higher than maybe 50 km/h ???

I bought mine for maybe $39 or so...... Well worth it.....

I think your belly pan might prevent that "low pressure" area from being created, I'd like to see when your fans come on - maybe install a temporary light that shows when the fans are on ?? Compare the temps with and without that belly pan that you built..... That would really be some interessting data.....

I probably would need a light to show when the fans starts since I do not hear them over the sidepipes...
I do have the little black plastic front spoiler in the front, or is there any more parts that directs air flow that you see are missing? The car did not have this front spoiler when I bought it.

My theory behind the shroud is that it looks basically as the lower part of the original and by this it should give somewhat of the same function.
During the summer I noticed a lot of dust blowing out from the front when I was parking at a dusty parking lot and the fans were running. That got me thinking of this modification.

As you say, I should compare the behaviour with and without the shroud to see the effects of it!
Will get back with info on this once the snow melts and I can get the car on the road again!

Thank's for all your input on the subject, I really appreciate it!!

i found on my 77 that not having the air dam made a huge difference in the engine bay compartment heat, it didnt effect the water temp just the engine bay heat. so with the air dam in place it was pushing cooler air into the engine compartment and pushing out the hot air. the difference was immediately noticable when you opened the hood.

i found on my 77 that not having the air dam made a huge difference in the engine bay compartment heat, it didnt effect the water temp just the engine bay heat. so with the air dam in place it was pushing cooler air into the engine compartment and pushing out the hot air. the difference was immediately noticable when you opened the hood.

Hi there!

By air dam, you mean the lower front spoiler in black plastic seen on the photo of my car below? That piece of black plastic is what I think is the "air dam" or in my words, "Spoiler"

18775345a640dbb9a.jpg

In this photo, a clearer view of both the "air dam" and my home made "shroud" can be seen. It attaches with 3 M6 screws to the cooler and the 2 original nuts for the original shroud at each side.
No screws in this photo, I just put it in place to take the picture.

18775345a641114df.jpg

Another view:

18775345a64170fea.jpg

I will have to test the design to see if it does any good or, if it makes things go bad...

Hi there!

By air dam, you mean the lower front spoiler in black plastic seen on the photo of my car below? That piece of black plastic is what I think is the "air dam" or in my words, "Spoiler"

18775345a640dbb9a.jpg

yes that is what i was referring to for as small as it is it does a good job pushing air into the engine compartment

The spring has arrived to Sweden and the trees are starting to show some green leafs:yahoo:
The spring period and the coming summer with sunshine until 22:00 clock in the evenings is what gets us to live through 6 months of darkness, snow and freezing temperatures:eek:

Time to wrap up this winters job on the Corvette.

I modified my sidepipes a bit. I made the complete sidepipe double walled with isolation to avoid discoloration and excessive heat on the outside.
I just welded up a second pipe, 2,5" on the inside of the pipe that was not already isolated.
A few photos:

The front outside and inside bend with flanges
18775342f268ee3c5.jpg

I machined the flanges in my lathe from thin stainless sheet metal, 1.5mm thick.
18775342f2691a521.jpg

The inner pipe assembled to the outer. The isolation is the white/grey stuff between the pipes.

18775342f26939d48.jpg

Here is one of the flanges assembled. It was then welded in place to be completly tight. I also had to weld an extension to this part of the pipe that extends in to the straight part of the sidepipe where the muffler insert is positioned. I have no pictures of this but you get the idea...

18775342f2695df1b.jpg

Had to fix most of the chrome this winter. I rechromed the rear bumpers, the front lower parts of the bumper and the trim around the air intakes where the position lamps are. A few small pieces for the T-tops were also rechromed.

The process included, de chroming, sandblasting, polishing, applying of copper, polishing again, final applying of chrome.
The total cost for this ended up at 2000$.
Also bought new door handles and a new rear veiw mirror, GM licensed parts. Good quality as far as I can see.
New rear letters, antenna and a new license bezel rounded up the chrome investments for this year.

18775342f268cec07.jpg

18775342f268b1b0c.jpg

18775342f11d1d040.jpg

18775345a640dbb9a.jpg

Ordered a shortened VBP rear spring to replace the useless Hyperco spring I had before. Had to use 10" bolts with the old spring and the car was still too high:twitch:
The spring is a 360lbs unit. I have also put back my original rear anti sway bar to try to reduce some of the oversteer tendencies I have felt with the thicker sway bar I had last summer.

I was very pleased with the service from VBP and sent them a thank you mail with a photo. Apparently it ended up in their Testemonial page... :lol: