2000 ford windstar more trouble

Gene beat me to it, the old rope trick works well. I have had better luck with rope than with compressed air.
Be sure to block of ANY openings in the cylinder head that a stray piece of anything could fall down thru.(like a valve keepr, when i was a kid I knew everything and didn't listen to my dad).

I agree with Gene. Most old school mechanics have an air chuck that they have adapted to fit in the spark plug threads. They remove the spark plug then pressurize the cylinder with compressed air via the adapter. The pressure is great enough to hold the valve against the seat while you remove the valve keeper and make the repairs. The only bitch is if you lose pressure and the valve drops into the hole, then you gotta pull the heads.

I agree with Gene. Most old school mechanics have an air chuck that they have adapted to fit in the spark plug threads. They remove the spark plug then pressurize the cylinder with compressed air via the adapter. The pressure is great enough to hold the valve against the seat while you remove the valve keeper and make the repairs. The only bitch is if you lose pressure and the valve drops into the hole, then you gotta pull the heads.

All I know is that on olde tyme Ponchos and chebbys, you need hammer the retainers off to the edge near the springs to break off the baked on glue from oils....otherwise you try releasing that mess and you will break the air loose...

I like the rope trick better also...all this is such a PIA on a FWD vehicle....

I dunno man.....

fuck it...pull the engine....:bomb::cry:

I guess this is a common problem that only a few have discovered. Sad ford doesn't fix stuff like this under recalls. There is a reason they all do it!

actually just bought a pepboys spring compressor and removed the spring in about 30 seconds. I am just going to head to rock autos website and order a complete set and re-do the whole engine. I tell ya would have been easy for the spring to let go and released the keepers and sucked the valve. I've never seen a engine break a valve spring especially seems odd for a friggen windstar of all vehicles to do it.

Anyways the valve seems to move freely and not bind up so hopefully it isn't damaged. Will install new springs and then do a quik compression test. Will let you all know next weekend if this gets it to run right.

Hopefully another missfiring windstar owner benefits from my nightmare.

DSCF0185.jpg

Last edited:
I guess this is a common problem that only a few have discovered. Sad for doesn't fix stuff like this under recalls. There is a reason they all do it!

DSCF0185.jpg

Beehive springs, never had a set, heard tales...dunno...

China struck again??

bet Ford don't even know who/what...any takers???

:gurney::drink:

I guess this is a common problem that only a few have discovered. Sad for doesn't fix stuff like this under recalls. There is a reason they all do it!

DSCF0185.jpg

Beehive springs, never had a set, heard tales...dunno...

China struck again??

bet Ford don't even know who/what...any takers???

:gurney::drink:

I have been reading and they interchange with LS1 springs, not sure that is true or not.

I'm trying to find a set online now and hopefully this will cure my van once and for all.

I'm looking at rock auto website and am curious is the intake and exhaust valve spring the same on this 2000 windstar.

They show a sealed power VS1648 as the spring I need but not whether it takes the same spring for exhaust and intake.

I just ordered 12 valve springs, 12 valve stem seals & 24 keepers

I know I could have probably got away with the 1 spring but if one broke others are sure to follow.

No more updates till parts come lol.

Wow.... from the symptoms you described I really thought it's got to be a electrical problem.

Hard to tell from the photos: is part of the spring missing or are the two pieces that you have as long as one undamaged spring? Make sure there isn't half a coil floating in the pan....

Wow.... from the symptoms you described I really thought it's got to be a electrical problem.

Hard to tell from the photos: is part of the spring missing or are the two pieces that you have as long as one undamaged spring? Make sure there isn't half a coil floating in the pan....

The two pieces match so a section isn't missing. In the previous pictures it looks like it is one piece because the coils got twisted in each other. Basically there was little to no tension on the valve and it could be unseated with finger tip.

Guess this explains the weird popping sound out the exhaust, probably when motor was on a compression stroke it was blowing past the exhaust valve. I suppose the other missfires detected could just be 1 & 3 struggling against the #2 cylinders unproductiveness or the plugs bit the dust trying to compensate. I suppose there could be other damaged springs as well but this one caught my eye immediately is all. I will be pulling the front valve cover as well and re-doing those springs as well.

With the cowling removed at the base of the windshield it is actually quite easy to work on everything on the backside of the motor. The cowling is pretty easy to remove as well.

If this does cure the problem the next place it goes is to ford for updated software.

I am not sure if this contributed to the glowing plug wires and coil arcing. and how the timing light flickered Perhaps being a mechanical problem the PCM just didn't know what to do and was simply trying to correct the issue.

I would have never have thought a valve spring broke, I mean come on, this is a babied mini-van LOL ... But seriously This thing gave no indication of being mechanically broken aside from the weird noise in the plastic plenum which sounded like a gurgling noise and tapping noise which sounded like it was coming from the front area of the engine (serpentine area) ... But yet if it was stumbling at 2500rpm it would do so for about 15 seconds then immediately clear up and jump to 3500rpm run run perfectly smooth. That would be the hard one to explain why it did that, I would have thought the miss would just never go away.

Or perhaps yes it does have a mechanical problem and the electronic problem will still be there after new springs are installed.

At higher RPM's could the lifter simply have had more oil pressure to pump up and try and compensate for the bad spring and somewhat seal the valve a bit better? because elevated RPM was the only time the engine would try and run better. However at idle it just always heavily missed.

Well if you guys ever come across a windstar owner who has similiar issues you can make a quik buck to fix the problem LOL.

They really aren't a windstar when they are missing hahahaha ...... But I will say after doing the front bearing and front driveshafts it doesn't make any weird roaring noises anymore. So hopefully this will cure how it runs and I can get back to enjoying all the room it has and it's nice cushy ride.

More likely is at increased rpm levels the amount of air being compressed onto the head of the valve helped it to seat a bit better. Back in the day we called that phenomena pumping compression.

the hydraulic pressure in a lifter forces the internal piston in the lifter to extend, increasing its length, higher pressures would not make a valve close any differently as the lifter LIFTS the valve open, and unless you have a Ducati Desmo, it is all up to the valve spring to close the valve.

In all seriousness and not wanting to piss you off any more than I have let me say this.

You seem to be very determined and don't give up easy, which I find to both be great attributes.

You seem to enjoy getting your fingers dirty which says to me you aren't one of the pompous schmucks of the world, just a down to earth ordinary guy.

What I also notice about you is your lack of understanding of an internal combustion engine.

How about going to the library or downloading onto a NOOK or whatever a book or two on the basics of internal combustion engines.

Side question for anyone: does a valve spring pull the valve shut?

I bet you would enjoy reading Kevin Cameron articles, especially his basics.

He gets so far over my head so fast sometimes I get dizzy trying to comprehend him, but for the most part he explains things nice and easy. And normally with a good story added in.

I am glad to see you find a major problem and hope it cures the van and you don't have to spend any more $$ on it.

Enjoy 2011. The grumpy old bastige know as Ozzy.

Last edited:
More likely is at increased rpm levels the amount of air being compressed onto the head of the valve helped it to seat a bit better. Back in the day we called that phenomena pumping compression.

the hydraulic pressure in a lifter forces the internal piston in the lifter to extend, increasing its length, higher pressures would not make a valve close any differently as the lifter LIFTS the valve open, and unless you have a Ducati Desmo, it is all up to the valve spring to close the valve.

In all seriousness and not wanting to piss you off any more than I have let me say this.

You seem to be very determined and don't give up easy, which I find to both be great attributes.

You seem to enjoy getting your fingers dirty which says to me you aren't one of the pompous schmucks of the world, just a down to earth ordinary guy.

What I also notice about you is your lack of understanding of an internal combustion engine.

How about going to the library or downloading onto a NOOK or whatever a book or two on the basics of internal combustion engines.

Side question for anyone: does a valve spring pull the valve shut?

I bet you would enjoy reading Kevin Cameron articles, especially his basics.

He gets so far over my head so fast sometimes I get dizzy trying to comprehend him, but for the most part he explains things nice and easy. And normally with a good story added in.

I am glad to see you find a major problem and hope it cures the van and you don't have to spend any more $$ on it.

Enjoy 2011. The grumpy old bastige know as Ozzy.

Well, you have successfully pissed me off! Being I don't know the least about a "internal combustion engine" I decided to go back a few steps and make the windstar more reliable and never have engine problems again. I am going to cut the floorboards out of the windstar and do what these two guys did and never have to worry about engine problems again! Plus laugh at all you when I pass a gas station.

Heres what my idea is

Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

Now I will be probably banned for this but I really don't care. I am not one for online insulting etc.etc but figure pictures are worth a thousand words and figure this may give you a clue. Please remember it will always be standing tall for you.

firefinger.jpg

Now then .... Enough said ... screw this site and that feeling is extended to you as well OZZY ..... There will be no further updates on any of my threads!

BAN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now then .... Enough said ... screw this site and that feeling is extended to you as well OZZY ..... There will be no further updates on any of my threads!

Jeff, Why would would we ban you? I don't see where you did anything wrong at all.

If one guy doesn't like what you are posting, fuck him. Put him on your ignore list and you won't even see his posts.

Jeff, Why would would we ban you? I don't see where you did anything wrong at all.

If one guy doesn't like what you are posting, fuck him. Put him on your ignore list and you won't even see his posts.

Gee, that would work for me...

Jeff - C'mon man, we all want to know how you make out with the Windstar. Don't go away mad like that.

Post 44 I suggest doing basic checks before spending money
Post 91 I suggest doing basics checks again before spending more money
Post 97 He checks some basics, finds problem
Post 111 He is talking about how lifters could cause the problem? Obvious he has never learned the basics of an internal combustion engine.
Post 112 I try to explain how a lifter lifts not closes a valve, be nice, and direct him to some good reading to learn
Post 113 He has total childish meltdown

This is reading like CF.

sometimes you try and help someone and you end up being the donkeys ass :bonkers:end of topic for me. Going out of the advice column business.

I don't disagree with you. Jeff replaced a lot of parts that were probably working fine. Sometimes people go off for no apparent reason. Maybe he was high strung about the on going problems with the Windstar and you just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back. Maybe you could have phrased things a little differently. What ever the case, I hope that both of you feel differently after some time and choose to continue to participate in and contribute to our forum.

So an update on this. OZZY don't even respond because you were ignored long ago!

Anyways After spring replacement, change to upgraded front valve cover, new tuneup, new injectors and a trip to ford to have it's PCM flashed with updated software (I think that is what they did) The windstar has never been a problem again. I have probably put a few thousand miles on it and it has never skipped a beat.

The pcm flash helped even more and got the vans engine to run even smoother. I did ask ford if they have had any issues with valve spring breakage and they have never heard of a problem with the windstar so maybe it was just a badly manufactured spring.