2000 ford windstar more trouble

It sounds like the computer is struggling with bad input signals and going into different default (limp home) modes. I hate to see you throw money at various sensors in hopes of finding the offending issue. At this point, if it were my car, I would take it to a professional. Sometimes it is cheaper to bite the bullet and spend the money.

how do you access different codes on this van. Like for instance I had a printout of codes but they were showing different ones like U1262 yet with my scanner I can only get codes like P0302 etc.

the sensors are no more then 25.00 each so worth the gamble.

If I say go to pickapart and grab a pcm out of another windstar will it have to be reprogrammed in mine to work?

Long as it's same engine, should be fine....run a tad rough till it warms up because of the learning curves in there....disconnected/removed batteries is the reason....

:shocking:

It sounds like the computer is struggling with bad input signals and going into different default (limp home) modes. I hate to see you throw money at various sensors in hopes of finding the offending issue. At this point, if it were my car, I would take it to a professional. Sometimes it is cheaper to bite the bullet and spend the money.

how do you access different codes on this van. Like for instance I had a printout of codes but they were showing different ones like U1262 yet with my scanner I can only get codes like P0302 etc.

If I say go to pickapart and grab a pcm out of another windstar will it have to be reprogrammed in mine to work?

Long as it's same engine, should be fine....run a tad rough till it warms up because of the learning curves in there....disconnected/removed batteries is the reason....

Will my PATS key work after plugging in another PCM or will the PCM have to be recoded for my key?

Will my PATS key work after plugging in another PCM or will the PCM have to be recoded for my key?

Dunno man, sorry, outta my league with that one....:tth:

Well, today played with the van a bit. Something interesting to note is my code scanner wouldn't turn on when I plugged it into the OBD port. OK so I figured batteries bad and put new ones in. Again it still would even turn on, plugged it into my 97 Camaro and it came right on.

I guess this could explain why the pcm can't see a bad sensor and will only detect misses. But why is it unable to even run a code scanner?

Am I dealing with a messed up PCM ???????

Check the fuse..mine is with the cig lighter.

Yes, that one blew on mine. I took and cleaned the rust of the coilpack mounting bracket as well as reinstalled the factory coilpack and hooked a timing light up and when it is stumbling the timing light wigs out. So it really seems like and ignition issue more then anything, I'm going to see if I can find a crankshaft position sensor and see if that is the problem since I have heard when they are a problem they can cause ignition issues.

Yes, that one blew on mine. I took and cleaned the rust of the coilpack mounting bracket as well as reinstalled the factory coilpack and hooked a timing light up and when it is stumbling the timing light wigs out. So it really seems like and ignition issue more then anything, I'm going to see if I can find a crankshaft position sensor and see if that is the problem since I have heard when they are a problem they can cause ignition issues.

:shocking: Do you have or know anyone that does have/know how to use a DVM?? to take coil resistance/continuity readings??

:beer:

:shocking: Do you have or know anyone that does have/know how to use a DVM?? to take coil resistance/continuity readings??

:beer:

I'm getting a lean condition code for the back back of the engine. Maybe I have a lower intake gasket that is letting go I'm not sure. I suppose a lean condion (vacuum leak) could cause the misfires I am having. I purchased a gasket kit for this 3.8 today and will start tearing the engine apart tomorrow. The gaskets don't look like conventional intake gaskets that I have ever seen. They appear to be a metal core covered with a rubber like substance and then like a rubber bead around all the ports. Perhaps the oil entering the plenum caused the intake gaskets to fail.

The misses detected seem to be getting progressively worse 1/2/3 and sometime the ecm reports just random misses as well. and then a lean condition on the bank 12&3 are on.

I'm going to order a new plastic upper and lower plenum just to make sure warpage of that isn't my cause but I think if that were the case lean conditions would be on both banks of the motor. So far just nothing done has got to the root of the problem however I think I'm going to find the lower intake to head gaskets are just leaking and causing the missfire issues. I would think a major vacuum leak would cause the almost dying at idle and yet decent power at higher rpms that it does.

Perhaps the ignition issue is just coincidence and from the pcm trying keep the engine from dying. I've heard earlier windstars having lower gasket issues but don't see the 99-up having these issues.

Last edited:
What I though was first a steel core gasket is in fact a plastic gasket with a rubber like bead that seals all the ports. I can honestly see how these could be a problem with age if the plastic cracked. So perhaps this is what happened to my van. The PCM still however doesn't pop any codes that would indicate any electronic problems which I think it would had there been any. Well I will let you all know what I find over the next week as I tear apart the engine and try and get this thing to run right again.

A web search seems show these windstars are very common to have vacuum leaks, bad injectors, misses detected, axles breaking and the list goes on.

I just saw the recall report for the back axle breaking on TV. Very nasty if it happens to you. Has your van had the new axle installed yet?

A web search seems show these windstars are very common to have vacuum leaks, bad injectors, misses detected, axles breaking and the list goes on.

Planned obsolescence?

I just saw the recall report for the back axle breaking on TV. Very nasty if it happens to you. Has your van had the new axle installed yet?

Planned obsolescence?

I figured the web searches would help with my problem but after doing the common windstar fixes the problem still is present. Most describe lean conditions on both banks however mine is only showing once bank. That is why I am leaning towards the base intake gaskets as the cause.

I have towed my trans am with the van so I would think if it was going to it would have done it then. Mine has the option factory tow package so perhaps it is a stronger axle and that is what ford uses as the fix.

I guess Ford is trying to fight the recall saying that they don't have enough parts to fix the problem or something like that.

Did you check the ignition module ? The module seems to be a common problem with 3.8L chevy V6 engines (late 90's Fbody).

Did you check the ignition module ? The module seems to be a common problem with 3.8L chevy V6 engines (late 90's Fbody).

I don't think ford's edis works like that. The 3.8 in Camaro's was a buick not a chevy,

the module seems to be part of the engine control, I googled "ignition module windstar" and found a few helpful websites. Hope it's a simple fix, you already replaced a lot of parts.

I don't think ford's edis works like that. The 3.8 in Camaro's was a buick not a chevy,

the module seems to be part of the engine control, I googled "ignition module windstar" and found a few helpful websites. Hope it's a simple fix, you already replaced a lot of parts.

That only applied to 95-97 3.0 windstars. 98-up 3.0 and all 3.8 windstars ICM was internal to the PCM

That only applied to 95-97 3.0 windstars. 98-up 3.0 and all 3.8 windstars ICM was internal to the PCM

Still think it's the crank/cam sensor (s) one of them anyway.....reason is that your symptoms match that Dodge van pretty good....very erratic and strange operational symptoms that only accounted for by funky computer or GIGO.....

:hissyfit:

Still think it's the crank/cam sensor (s) one of them anyway.....reason is that your symptoms match that Dodge van pretty good....very erratic and strange operational symptoms that only accounted for by funky computer or GIGO.....

I changed the crank position sensor and it still runs the same. The cam sensor appears to control the injector sequence .... I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend see what they are like and change all the gaskets relatad to the intake.

I changed the crank position sensor and it still runs the same. The cam sensor appears to control the injector sequence .... I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend see what they are like and change all the gaskets relatad to the intake.

SHIT, sorry man....I"m outta ideas....but going to listen up.....

:shocking::shocking::bomb: