"cheap" manual conversion, possible?

Your rear differential ratio pretty much guides your selection of a Richmond 5 speed or a Tremac. Richmond 5 speeds are 1:1 in 5th gear. If you've got a 3.08:1 differential, you want a Richmond. It's first gear is really low. With a 3.08:1 differential, in first gear, a Richmond will launch you car as if you had a Muncie and a 4.11:1 (Citing numbers for my car.) If you've got a 3.55:1, you need a Tremac since it's 5 gear is overdrive. (0.82, 0.76? I don't know).

I've never seen a Tremac "in person." I do have a Richmond 5 speed. It looks like a really strong transmission.

For the auto to manual conversion. You need to install the manual clutch/brake pedal assembly in the car and of course remove the automatic car's brake pedal assembly. This is a difficult removal because of limited space. Make life easier. Remove the steering column. On my 68 and 70, it's relatively easy to get the steering column out and also to reinstall it.
I had to remove the vacuum booster to install a Hydroboost (aka Hydrobeast). Getting it out was one of the most difficult jobs I've ever done on my Corvettes. This was with the steering column in. I later removed the column, and also removed the brake/clutch assembly to renew it and also mate the brake pedal to the hydroboost clevis. With the steering column out, this is such an easy job. (Also, had the speedo/tach dashboard removed)

For the auto to manual conversion. You need to install the manual clutch/brake pedal assembly in the car and of course remove the automatic car's brake pedal assembly. This is a difficult removal because of limited space. Make life easier. Remove the steering column.

thanks for bringing back these memories.... the pedal swap was by far the most annoying job I've done on my '79. I removed the seat, the steering column and still it was a PITA laying on my back reaching up trying to get these F%$^ing bolts/nuts to move... ... :lol::lol:

Save your funds do not mess with a T45. There are no new parts out there for them so you have to find used and they will not shift nearly as well as the T5 and also the T45 does not like high rpm shifts.

Even the T45 ones Keister has are rebuilt with used parts but with a new input shaft with more teeth. And they only give them a 6 month warranty.

So scrounge up a T5 or wait for a TKO-500 depending on your HP/TQ output.

There are certainly a number of people who have problems with T45's and T-3650's in Mustangs as well as a number that have problems with the weaker T5's in Mustangs. There is also a lot of people who swear by T45's and T-3650's for street driven cars. It's not a TKO by any means. But this thread is starts with the word "cheap".

The Keisler setup looks like (somehow) the bellhousing has been removed from the T45. I think the belhousing has the front bearing support built in to it so they have found a flange plate that somehow bolts up to the T45. It looks a lot like the T56 flange that bolts to the torque tube on the C5 or maybe they are making it themselves.

So scrounge up a T5 or wait for a TKO-500 depending on your HP/TQ output.

You make a good point, looking at this further. The T5 might really be the only "cheap" conversion out there. The T45's rebuilt are selling for $1250 and (if you could find it) the bellhousing adapter is probably $250 and it looks like you need to make some modifications to the tailhousing. So, for another $500 you could probably get a new TKO from Summit.

I have heard of people doing the T5 for less than $1000. That's the gold standard of cheap!

I have been happy with my T5 swap so far. From the pictures it looks like a WC transmission and I believe 85 was supose to be the first year for WC in a Ford. Thats not a bad price if its in desent shape inside. I would still plan on freshining it up before running it.

Sad to say nothing is really cheap now. You can get the Lakewood Bellhousing that will adapt the T-5 to the chevy. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15060/ But it is not cheap at $429.95 US. So it would depend on what other parts you can find used or for a cheap price.

On the Corvette forum a NorvalWilhelm (Sorry if spelling is wrong lol.) had some drawings up on an adapter he made just for this conversion. Maybe someone here on this forum has that info.

This thread should help a bunch. :)http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-...o-know-to-install-a-t5-ford-transmission.html

And another thread. :) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/1201254-my-auto-to-t5-conversion.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies.
I'm gonna keep an eye on this auction.
I've also found a Chevy V8 T5 for 600$ locally, no bellhousing but I guess this one would accept stock ones.
Tonight I'm gonna find out my diff ratio, this would weed out a couple of options.

On the Corvette forum a NorvalWilhelm (Sorry if spelling is wrong lol.) had some drawings up on an adapter he made just for this conversion. Maybe someone here on this forum has that info.
I saved the image of the adapter off CF when I first started looking into doing a T5 swap. It's suposed to be 1/2" thick.
2224d23d5ea4fb7d.jpg

I've also found a Chevy V8 T5 for 600$ locally, no bellhousing but I guess this one would accept stock ones.
Tonight I'm gonna find out my diff ratio, this would weed out a couple of options.

Yes the GM T5 will bolt to the stock bellhousing. There is a trade off by using the stock straight up bellhousing though, the shifter location will require more cutting to be done to the floor.

Yes the GM T5 will bolt to the stock bellhousing. There is a trade off by using the stock straight up bellhousing though, the shifter location will require more cutting to be done to the floor.
Interesting, it made me want to start another thread...

Your rear differential ratio pretty much guides your selection of a Richmond 5 speed or a Tremac. Richmond 5 speeds are 1:1 in 5th gear. If you've got a 3.08:1 differential, you want a Richmond. It's first gear is really low. With a 3.08:1 differential, in first gear, a Richmond will launch you car as if you had a Muncie and a 4.11:1 (Citing numbers for my car.) If you've got a 3.55:1, you need a Tremac since it's 5 gear is overdrive. (0.82, 0.76? I don't know).

I've never seen a Tremac "in person." I do have a Richmond 5 speed. It looks like a really strong transmission.
It's been a long time, and still can't afford those, but I could finally find out my diff ratio : 3.08. Looks like T5 would not be a good choice for me afterall.

It's been a long time, and still can't afford those, but I could finally find out my diff ratio : 3.08. Looks like T5 would not be a good choice for me afterall.

Ok, trying to revive the thread.
I had a look at Richmond gearbox ratio
1 2 3 4 5
3.28 2.13 1.57 1.24 1.00

So that's supposed to be the perfect match for a 3:08, too bad the price is way out of my budget.

So Looking at the T5 identification website, I picked some model of WC T5

1352-114 Ford 1985-86 T-Bird/Mustang/SVO 2.3 TC L4 WC
4.03 2.37 1.49 1.00 0.81

Ford 1985 Mustang/Capri 5.0 V8 WC
3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.80

1352-115 Ford SVO 5.0 V8 WC
2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.68

Do you have an idea of how those configurations would feel on a my car (SBC, 350HP, agressive cam, 3:08 diff), they cover pretty much the full spectrum of ratio possibilities for the T5.

I don't plan to drag it, I just want good road blasts and highway capability.

Ok, trying to revive the thread.
I had a look at Richmond gearbox ratio
1 2 3 4 5
3.28 2.13 1.57 1.24 1.00

So that's supposed to be the perfect match for a 3:08, too bad the price is way out of my budget.

So Looking at the T5 identification website, I picked some model of WC T5

1352-114 Ford 1985-86 T-Bird/Mustang/SVO 2.3 TC L4 WC
4.03 2.37 1.49 1.00 0.81

Ford 1985 Mustang/Capri 5.0 V8 WC
3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.80

1352-115 Ford SVO 5.0 V8 WC
2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.68

Do you have an idea of how those configurations would feel on a my car (SBC, 350HP, agressive cam, 3:08 diff), they cover pretty much the full spectrum of ratio possibilities for the T5.

I don't plan to drag it, I just want good road blasts and highway capability.

I am running a WC T5 in mine with a 3:08 gear. I really don't use 5th much. It is to low unless you are 65 plus. I have plans to rebuild my diff in the near future and when I do I plan to change to 3:73 gears.

If you don't plan to rebuild you rear anytime soon then you might want to consider a different approach. Do a manual trans conversion with a wide ratio 4 speed then when you can afford to convert install a Richmond and sell the 4 gear.