"cheap" manual conversion, possible?

What does a "whole setup" include?
I could look it up but what series were F-bodies?

F body is Camaro/Firebird before the pause in use of the badges....

I forget when they stopped making Camaros maybe '04??

obviously excluding the current production models....

complete setup from 3rd generation (83-92, 82 only got a T10) F body (camaro/firebird/trans am/gta) includes;

Master cylinder, plastic line, slave cylinder, F body bellhousing w/ pad for slace, transmission and shifter. That's it. The hydraulics from an F body will greatly aid you in setting it up.

So would you recommend hydraulic clutch over the other (mechanical )kind?
F body bellhousing w/ pad for slace
So no Chevy bell housing?
Apologize for my ignorant questions...............:goodnight:

So, in about 2 hrs I will be the proud owner of a manual transmission.
Of all things it's a T45 from a '97 Mustang GT.
Stock a little stronger then a T5, about 325 ft/lbs.
Trouble is they were only made for 4 years so not a lot of bell housings available to mate to a SBC.
But hey, I'll pay $50 for it so if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

I can:
  • either rebuilt it myself, maybe...
  • have it rebuilt
  • use it as a core exchange
  • take it apart and use it as a $50 learning opportunity.

Couldn't leave that one laying around could I?
Especially if I can make it work......:yahoo:

Trouble is they were only made for 4 years so not a lot of bell housings available to mate to a SBC.

I can:
  • have it rebuilt

HEY,..>>> NO FAIR!!!.....you out did ME on pickin' parts....

some daze you make a offer they can't refuse.....

:crutches::loveletter::D

I can:
  • have it rebuilt

Can't go wrong for $50. Is the front bearing carrier part of the bellhousing in the T45? Also, I wonder if a company like Transdapt makes an adapter plate or some kind of kit?

Maybe quicktime has a bell, if not they can make you one

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I got lucky, this one a '97 has a separate bell housing.
So I got a T45 + short throw shifter for $120

Found a Camaro T5 WC + shifter + bellhousing for 750$.
It's local so no shipping cost.
what do you guys think about it?

I've never done it but don't some people have problems with the Camaro bellhouing hitting the tunnel?

As long as its not in need a rebuild its probably not a bad price. Damn things seem to demand good money anymore.

I've never done it but don't some people have problems with the Camaro bellhouing hitting the tunnel?

I have heard that. It looked close when I mocked a stock Camaro hydraulic clutch bellhousing up on my 74. I think under car exhaust might be more of an issue with that bellhousing because of the fork being lower to the ground. A hydraulic throwout bearing would cure that problem. Otherwise use a stock Vette bellhousing, linkage and mount it straight up.

As long as its not in need a rebuild its probably not a bad price. Damn things seem to demand good money anymore.

I have heard that. It looked close when I mocked a stock Camaro hydraulic clutch bellhousing up on my 74. I think under car exhaust might be more of an issue with that bellhousing because of the fork being lower to the ground. A hydraulic throwout bearing would cure that problem. Otherwise use a stock Vette bellhousing, linkage and mount it straight up.
I don't want to spoil my luck but I think I found THE deal.
It will be a Ford's afterall.
Stay tuned.

*sigh*
Deal felt thru....
Seller told me to wait while he's on vacation, and sold them during vacation.
Niiiiiiice, the day before knowing that I bought a lakewook scattershield.
What a timing :suicide:

I didn't say I was giving up.....
I stumbled upon a couple of T5 for sale that was clearly qualified as "to be rebuilt".
The most common symptom seems to be a faulty 3rd speed.
So here's my questions :
-Is that complicated to rebuild a tranny, from all I looked up, it's just about putting back good parts together in the right order. Is it that simple?
-If doable, what would roughly be the parts budget of rebuilding a T5 by myself?

I stumbled upon a couple of T5 for sale that was clearly qualified as "to be rebuilt".
So here's my questions :
-Is that complicated to rebuild a tranny, from all I looked up, it's just about putting back good parts together in the right order. Is it that simple?
-If doable, what would roughly be the parts budget of rebuilding a T5 by myself?

It itsn't bad rebuilding a T5 and you don't really need any special tools. I have a PDF of a service manual if you want and a step by step DVD file if you can come up with a way for me to send you a 4.33 GB file.

Price to rebuild really depends on what is wrong with the trans. You can probably plan on $200-300 in parts though.

So here's my questions :

It itsn't bad rebuilding a T5 and you don't really need any special tools. I have a PDF of a service manual if you want and a step by step DVD file if you can come up with a way for me to send you a 4.33 GB file.

Price to rebuild really depends on what is wrong with the trans. You can probably plan on $200-300 in parts though.
Thanks Fuelie for confirming my thoughts.
PM'ing you about the pdf.

At last

Ok, got it.
After 5 or 6 failed deal I made it, I got my T5.
I bought locally, for 200$ a '90 Camaro Iroc world class T5 for rebuild.
The 2nd gear and the cluster gear are broken, so I heading for a complete rebuild. The other gears look fine.
I was planning to rebuilt the trans anyway.
The guy I bought it from is parting cars almost just for fun, mostly Camaros and Firebirds.
He didn't try to hide anything about the shape of the tranny and he's willing to help me rebuild it and get my conversion done. He's already looking to get me a 153 teeth flywheel for free.

When he was younger he did a full frame off resto on a '75 C3 that he totaled soon after, so my own resto has a nostalgic appeal to him.
He gave the the yoke that goes with the transmission, I'll see if it fit the corvette u-joint.

Now it's time to find thoses parts (2nd gear, cluster gear, new bearing, new synchro and all the other bits).

If you guys got tips on how to shop wisely, let me know.