"cheap" manual conversion, possible?

Just a thought, WC OD gears are interchangable. You can swap out the 2 OD gears to make a about a 0.74 or 0.8 OD.

[/QUOTE]I am running a WC T5 in mine with a 3:08 gear. I really don't use 5th much. It is to low unless you are 65 plus. I have plans to rebuild my diff in the near future and when I do I plan to change to 3:73 gears.

If you don't plan to rebuild you rear anytime soon then you might want to consider a different approach. Do a manual trans conversion with a wide ratio 4 speed then when you can afford to convert install a Richmond and sell the 4 gear.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
A general rule is, the first gear ratio multiplied by the differential ratio should equal 10. A C5 has a 3:42 differential and a 2:97 first gear= 10.16. Incidentally, a C5 is at 2200rpm@65mph in 5th gear.

Your rear differential ratio pretty much guides your selection of a Richmond 5 speed or a Tremac. Richmond 5 speeds are 1:1 in 5th gear. If you've got a 3.08:1 differential, you want a Richmond. It's first gear is really low. With a 3.08:1 differential, in first gear, a Richmond will launch you car as if you had a Muncie and a 4.11:1 (Citing numbers for my car.) If you've got a 3.55:1, you need a Tremac since it's 5 gear is overdrive. (0.82, 0.76? I don't know).

I've never seen a Tremac "in person." I do have a Richmond 5 speed. It looks like a really strong transmission.
It's been a long time, and still can't afford those, but I could finally find out my diff ratio : 3.08. Looks like T5 would not be a good choice for me afterall.

Ok, trying to revive the thread.
I had a look at Richmond gearbox ratio
1 2 3 4 5
3.28 2.13 1.57 1.24 1.00

So that's supposed to be the perfect match for a 3:08, too bad the price is way out of my budget.

So Looking at the T5 identification website, I picked some model of WC T5

1352-114 Ford 1985-86 T-Bird/Mustang/SVO 2.3 TC L4 WC
4.03 2.37 1.49 1.00 0.81

Ford 1985 Mustang/Capri 5.0 V8 WC
3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.80

1352-115 Ford SVO 5.0 V8 WC
2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.68

Do you have an idea of how those configurations would feel on a my car (SBC, 350HP, agressive cam, 3:08 diff), they cover pretty much the full spectrum of ratio possibilities for the T5.

I don't plan to drag it, I just want good road blasts and highway capability.

I am running a WC T5 in mine with a 3:08 gear. I really don't use 5th much. It is to low unless you are 65 plus. I have plans to rebuild my diff in the near future and when I do I plan to change to 3:73 gears.

If you don't plan to rebuild you rear anytime soon then you might want to consider a different approach. Do a manual trans conversion with a wide ratio 4 speed then when you can afford to convert install a Richmond and sell the 4 gear.
Out of curiosity, do you know you T5 serial #?

A general rule is, the first gear ratio multiplied by the differential ratio should equal 10. A C5 has a 3:42 differential and a 2:97 first gear= 10.16. Incidentally, a C5 is at 2200rpm@65mph in 5th gear.
Roger that, and from what Fuelie74 says, 3 is the desired ratio for highest speed.

Roger that, and from what Fuelie74 says, 3 is the desired ratio for highest speed.

Not only that, if first gear is too low, you are shifting to second before you cross the street. Very annoying for a street car. People seem to size their rear gears for highway speeds. Think about how many more times you are in first (every time) as opposed to how many times you are in fifth.

Thread resurrection ALERT..........:twitch:
I think I've come to the conclusion that a T5 swap may be less hassle and less strain on the wallet then a 700R4.
Feasible that I can get all the bits and pieces for <$1000?
Did you ever get around to installing one Denpo or did I miss that part?

I think I've come to the conclusion that a T5 swap may be less hassle and less strain on the wallet then a 700R4.
Alas no. I've been lurking on a camaro V8 T5 on sale locally for 500$.
It got the right number of splines and it's a GM one. But it's not a world class and I still have to find the bellhousing and the whole clutch assy.
Given the price of shipping that's probably the best I could ever get here.
Still have a bunch of higher priority purchase to make and the budget is tight as usual, so wait and see.
By the way, does somebody know how difficult/pricey it is to upgrade a non WC to a WC T5? If even possible...

Is your car an auto right now. If so it will not be less hassle or less money than installing a 700R4. The 700R4 is a fairly cheap transmission. If you are really just after a cheap transmission with overdrive and don't care if it is a manual or auto the 700R4 is the better option.

I installed a T5 in my 74 because I wanted a manual transmission with OD. It really would be been so much cheaper and easier to just bolt a 700R4 in and be done with it.

Alas no. I've been lurking on a camaro V8 T5 on sale locally for 500$.
It got the right number of splines and it's a GM one. But it's not a world class and I still have to find the bellhousing and the whole clutch assy.
Given the price of shipping that's probably the best I could ever get here.
Still have a bunch of higher priority purchase to make and the budget is tight as usual, so wait and see.
By the way, does somebody know how difficult/pricey it is to upgrade a non WC to a WC T5? If even possible...

According to these guy WC doesn't effect the strength of the transmission, but they got the years that GM used the WC transmission wrong so who knows. Either way it's not feasible to convert a NWC to WC.
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

I vote for T5. Same as a T56 dimensionally as I understand. I just made a bracket to mount the hydraulic master cylinder to the firewall with $5 worth of scrap steel. Shorten your driveshaft and get a conversion flywheel from Centerforce.

The T5 is much much smaller than a T56, there's really no comparison. The T5 is tiny.

T56:
24e07a20a35b23.jpg

T5 (and ZF6)
24e07a397d34d7.jpg

T5:

24e07a25e8daa3.jpg

I vote for T5. Same as a T56 dimensionally as I understand. I just made a bracket to mount the hydraulic master cylinder to the firewall with $5 worth of scrap steel. Shorten your driveshaft and get a conversion flywheel from Centerforce.

You don't need a conversion flywheel for a T5.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Mustang T5.
Guy's asking $400.
Should I go for it?

Mas o menos 400-450HP same in torque.
Think everybody is right and it's a T45.
I don't know the differences and if it will swap just a easy as the T5.
Just to make it clear:
I need a Chevy bell housing to bolt onto a Ford transmission correct?
Should I go for a hydraulic clutch or not?
Not would seem easier.

What does a "whole setup" include?
I could look it up but what series were F-bodies?