Hey Red

Oooh-man....I just spent about an hour checking out available SBC cylinder heads in the expected places. I believe the prices went up from the last time I looked. There is no doubt to my motivation to buying those pro comp heads for $750. With 64 cc chambers and 190 cc runners and 2.02 ss intake valves and 1.6 exhaust good for .550 lift and Z28 springs; what's not to like?

I checked out the thread TT sent me to with those nasty Ford Patriot heads. I agree with someone who posted there, I'd send those heads back in a nano second! Those heads were not inexpensive either, but very attractive to those with short pockets. Of course, that's with a set up to specs and pass a visual, those are a joke.
http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545&highlight=Patriot+Heads&page=2

The prices on Patriot Perfromance is higher than on the parts sites.
https://www.patriot-performance.com/

It appears I'm back to filling the piggy bank with more green. This is a bummer, I expected to be on the assembly of my new motor at this time. Instead, I'm back to looking through parts books.

Yeah...your brother has a nice ride there! Do you know what your brother did to his ZZ4 heads as part of his 'working them.' Sometimes the machine work costs more than the parts being worked on. Was his block decked? It pays to take advantage of the aluminum and up the squeeze. This is what I had hoped to do with the AL Vortec heads, but that remains a big question mark. Since I have bigger fish to fry at this time, the motor is on hold until I get all my ducks in a row. At this time my flock has scattered and i'm trying to reel them in. :fishing:

Buy the Vizard Cylinder head book. He has a chapter on those heads, what he did in there is basically what Xander did. All (most) can be done with simple hand tools (die grinder). The most stable way to work on heads is by bolting them to an engine stand. The block is not decked.

Buy the Vizard Cylinder head book. He has a chapter on those heads, what he did in there is basically what Xander did. All (most) can be done with simple hand tools (die grinder). The most stable way to work on heads is by bolting them to an engine stand. The block is not decked.

I happen to have the Vizard cylinder head book. He covers the L98 heads in Chapter 13, thanks! If I come across a good deal on a straight pair, I might bite. I did a full pocket port and port match job on the 186 heads on my 69 engine. When I had the time it was fun, but that is why I was seeking the Vortec design. They use the best of the L98 and step it up a notch, as you know. It appears I have plenty of time before I am able to buy anything, so I will keep my eyes open for a deal. It all comes down to money, so I need the refund first.

Be aware you want the later D port head with screw in studs and guide plates, the early (86 & 87) are not D port and not as desirable.

Did you pay with a MO? If so, that is mail fraud! A federal offence :)

Wow just read this thread.....

And I also just saw a thread called boat pan, I got a kick out of it :crylol:

And someone bought him a a 200 dollar gift certificate too lol

Last edited:
wow, I read this thread and the related stories at CF. It is obvious even to me as a noob to C3 Corvettes that this guy answers questions just to post, often he has no clue what he's talking about. LOL
He's getting a $200 gift after ripping off another fellow forum member? That really sux, that gift certificate should go to Red instead.
The owners of CF are tolerating this ?

wow, I read this thread and the related stories at CF. It is obvious even to me as a noob to C3 Corvettes that this guy answers questions just to post, often he has no clue what he's talking about. LOL
He's getting a $200 gift after ripping off another fellow forum member? That really sux, that gift certificate should go to Red instead.

think of all the posts or hits he generates in a day....all day every day for two years..."tolerate him"...hell they LOVE the guy...unfortunately (for those who don`t know any better) the management couldn`t care less if the information trader there is accurate or not...and to be honest most of the mods don`t know accurate from inaccurate.

think of all the posts or hits he generates in a day....all day every day for two years..."tolerate him"...hell they LOVE the guy...unfortunately (for those who don`t know any better) the management couldn`t care less if the information trader there is accurate or not...and to be honest most of the mods don`t know accurate from inaccurate.

We have one here that babbles to every post, those know it all's confused by lesser than common sense, seems they like reading their own posts,, would you think?

It changed from a hobby/enthusiast/engineering forum to a sales dweeb business some 5? years ago....

nuff said....

:flash:

We have one here that babbles to every post, those know it all's confused by lesser than common sense, seems they like reading their own posts,, would you think?

Amen Brother!

As far as I can tell we only have good guys here, if there's a problem with another forum member please send either one of us mod/admins a PM.

Be aware you want the later D port head with screw in studs and guide plates, the early (86 & 87) are not D port and not as desirable.

Did you pay with a MO? If so, that is mail fraud! A federal offence :)

Actually, I cut a personal check, as I often do when the seller accepts it. Maybe I've been lucky, but there has never been a problem. It is starting to look like the beginning of next week will be refund day.

I hope you don't have to look into this but from what I read (yeah, the internet)... if you sent the check by mail from one state to another it's mail fraud and a felony as more than one state is involved.
The state might be interested in prosecuting, in that case you're only a witness and don't need your own lawyer....

This info is only hear-say but might be worth reading up on..... again, hope you don't need it....

Speaking of babble. . . .whatever you just wrote is :chinese: to me. :drink:

I hope you don't have to look into this but from what I read (yeah, the internet)... if you sent the check by mail from one state to another it's mail fraud and a felony as more than one state is involved.
The state might be interested in prosecuting, in that case you're only a witness and don't need your own lawyer....

This info is only hear-say but might be worth reading up on..... again, hope you don't need it....

BY statute, Karsten you may still be correct, but I went to HS with a guy who was a US Postal inspector .....he carried a gun and did postal related fraud investigations.....but this was years ago....he admitted the agency was SO totally overwhelmed they had NO personnel to enforce the laws, and so concentrated on the most large or egregious cases....

I"m sure George is long since retired, as he was tired some years ago....

:gurney:

When did you pay for these and when was he supposed to ship the heads? I'm asking because you might have to press charges within 60 days, maybe it is 90 days, might vary by state. I am not sure about this so please get legal advice. I'd hate to see him get away with this. This is not only fraud, he is taking advantage of a fellow C3 enthusiast.

I got my bank involved in a transaction 2 years ago when i was in the same situation,i paid for parts and did not receive them and was constantly getting the run around. After my bank got involved wouldn't you know it those parts showed up PDQ.
And huge apology from the person trying to dupe me,unfortunately for him now,he is on trial for fraud.

Durango_Boy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, name's Matt, and all my friends just call me DB. My '77 Vette has a normally aspirated 350, soon to be replaced by a baddass 405. I have been working in and on engines for about a decade and I've finally decided to get out of my comfort zone and build a high CR, high HP, high TQ engine.

SBC 405
Roller Retrofit
64cc Aluminum Vortec Heads (200cc Intake Runners.)
10.15:1 Static CR
Crane 119661 Roller Cam - I292 - E300 - Dur .50 - 230 / 238 @ 112 - LI.539 - LE.558

I'm waiting for the pistons to finish the build and then I get to install. I'll be sure to post some pics.

My car is nothing of a race car, and I'm more of a cruiser than a racer though I enjoy having spirited fun on the streets sometimes. The 350 I have now is the first 350 I ever built about 10 years ago. It still runs good, prolly a good 230 HP at the rear wheels, but it's time for more power. I have built some really cool engines for my friends and customers and I'm finally giving myself the treatment too.

Can't wait to dig in here, this place looks cool.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5231