made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

How in hell you get antique tags?? did you have one from long ago?? they dropped the antique tag gig here some years ago, but I still have mine on the vette, I didn't think they allowed reactivation of the tags.....

:confused:

and YES the car looks superb.....GREAT JOB MAN!!!! wish my paint job looked even 1/2 as good....

Went to the local tag office.... They asked me "do you want antique plates?" .... I said sure, why not..... It's a lot cheaper than adding a regular tag, I paid just shy of $400 to get my Mustang registered, title transferred, FL.'new wheel' fee and such BS..... This Ghia was $65.30 since I already had the title in my name.....

How in hell you get antique tags?? did you have one from long ago?? they dropped the antique tag gig here some years ago, but I still have mine on the vette, I didn't think they allowed reactivation of the tags.....

:confused:

and YES the car looks superb.....GREAT JOB MAN!!!! wish my paint job looked even 1/2 as good....

Went to the local tag office.... They asked me "do you want antique plates?" .... I said sure, why not..... It's a lot cheaper than adding a regular tag, I paid just shy of $400 to get my Mustang registered, title transferred, FL.'new wheel' fee and such BS..... This Ghia was $65.30 since I already had the title in my name.....

Save your old plates from sold cars and there won't be any "new wheel fee"

Another update: started on my alternator conversion. With a small carburetor spacer it will fit. It is tight but it fits.

photo_zps8055e291.jpg
Nice chrome kit, it is Empi which is pretty much the lowest quality stuff money can buy but so far it all looks pretty good, can't say it's a bad kit but don't know until it runs......

With this style fuel pump there's plenty clearance. It's a pump that I got on Amazon for $30, it has enough meat to tap the inlet/outlet for NPT and it is smaller than the stock pump.

photo_zpsb6d5e38c.jpg
At the carb it is much tighter, need either a spacer or get the Dremel out.... Spacer seems much easier....

photo_zpse51afe01.jpg

The chrome sure looks nice :D

Live and learn.....

I ground some material off the alternator and got it to fit. Bolted the carb to the intake, no more interference until I realized the throttle linkage wouldn't move anymore because the acc pump linkage hit the alternator..... So I ground the China chrome for no reason.....ordered a 7mm carb spacer, test fitted today, seems to do the trick..... Too bad that now I have to cut the inside sheetmetal of the decklid because the decklid is crushing the air filter.....
What really annoys me is that a year ago I welded a patch into the opening that was there..... Guess now I know why it was there and going to cut my weld patch out again.....

Hope to get it out on the road Sunday.....

Live and learn.....

I ground some material off the alternator and got it to fit. Bolted the carb to the intake, no more interference until I realized the throttle linkage wouldn't move anymore because the acc pump linkage hit the alternator..... So I ground the China chrome for no reason.....ordered a 7mm carb spacer, test fitted today, seems to do the trick..... Too bad that now I have to cut the inside sheetmetal of the decklid because the decklid is crushing the air filter.....
What really annoys me is that a year ago I welded a patch into the opening that was there..... Guess now I know why it was there and going to cut my weld patch out again.....

Hope to get it out on the road Sunday.....

Better off in bed, weather shitty anyway.....:club:

Now that it finally stopped raining I drove the VW a few miles, about 15 miles .... No major issues.... Alternator is now charging, brakes are not all that great but I think that's just how they are, it's all new parts so I guess that's about as good as 1968 non assist brakes are .... Other than that it's really fun to drive. Still have to fix a few things like lights, brake lights, seat belts etc..... :drink:

photo_zps79204292.jpg

Thanks guys, I can't believe I bought this Ghia in 2007. It took me almost 7 years and several changes of direction to get here.... Your progress on the MG is much faster :D and that Fiat turbo is probably on the road soon too.... Lol....

I admit: I am at a point thinking about the next project..... I have so many C3 parts that I only need a frame to build a rolling chassis, then a diff, then a engine, a T56 ..... Hmmmmmm

Thank god I don't have space for another car !!!!!!

:smash::smash:

what the hell kind of comment is that?????

any way I remember seeing your car in primer in a photo and I guess I lost track of your build, any way your 6 yr odyssey made for good reading this afternoon, you do nice work and it came out great. I was looking at the photos of you pulling the engine and your cradle looked just like a motorcycle jack.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I can't believe I bought this Ghia in 2007. It took me almost 7 years and several changes of direction to get here.... Your progress on the MG is much faster :D and that Fiat turbo is probably on the road soon too.... Lol....

I admit: I am at a point thinking about the next project..... I have so many C3 parts that I only need a frame to build a rolling chassis, then a diff, then a engine, a T56 ..... Hmmmmmm

A sane comment like that could get you banned

The Fiat has been in progress for 3 years, and I'm not even to the middle point yet.... fact is, tonight, I looked at the car - then decided it was too cold, wet, and a cold wind was blowing up my shorts so I went back relaxing in the house.

Finally installed seatbelts and got the car aligned, it really is a lot of fun to drive this tiny car .... Here it is next to a van .... Lol

photo_zps08c14aec.jpg

:lol: