made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

here we go..... it's really a lot of fun to drive but that little engine is loud as hell, even with the stock exhaust.....

stock exhaust? man that thing is loud. The neighbours are gonne love you even more now that you can drive this one too lol. You're gonna be the most popular guy on the block

stock exhaust? man that thing is loud. The neighbours are gonne love you even more now that you can drive this one too lol. You're gonna be the most popular guy on the block

:clap: Yeh, the retired old crusty coastie across the street hates my vette for the loud exhaust....and so I put Maggies on it....

Last edited:
Little more progress: installed the passenger side door (I have two pairs)... Still needs some tweaking for better fit ... Put the hubcaps on and took a few pics ...

photo_zpsf25d87c2.jpg

The other set of doors don't fit at all, I trimmed around the edges, had to re-weld because the skin would seperate .... What a pain .... Here's a good pic of what it took to make it fit

photo_zps251c720d.jpg
Now it's close to perfect ..... Took some cutting, welding, filler .....

photo_zps5b0b7920.jpg

Started on the interior ... The big brown truck stopped by the house and delivered some good stuff from TMI interiors :

photo_zps10e20f7b.jpg

photo_zpscd1c7cbf.jpg

photo_zps1204b440.jpg

Thanks !!!!!

I ordered a few samples of vinyl and carpet, there are so many colors and two tone combinations to choose from..... I spent weeks trying to figure out what I want.....

More progress:

photo_zps1e4bb919.jpg

That Permatex carpet glue is some nasty stuff !!!!!

I'll email the guys I bough this interior from and see if I can get some extra carpet and vinyl to close the gap between the rear seat and seat back, for now I used some leftover vinyl from the headliner but carpet would look way better....

photo_zps201ca58b.jpg

Of all the color combos I looked at I really wanted two tone seats and door panels but I think it would look too "busy" with three colors inside the car....

No doubt if the car wasn't red I would have bought brick red interior with off white piping, door panels brick red and off white.....that combo would look awesome on a charcoal or black car.....

Ugh. I hate glued-in carpet and interior trim in German cars. Worst stereo install I ever did was a Porsche 944 - the lunatics in Stuttgart thought it was a great idea to put the rear quarter windows in AFTER installing the interior quarter panels. Nothing like trying to run wires under cemented-in carpet and side panels that are actually under the window seals...

Still a beautiful Ghia, though!

Thanks for the reminder: I ran all the wires for the radio and amp but I have not run the speaker wires from the front to rear

:crap::crap::crap:

That's a great looking car and some beautiful work. Makes me go nostalgic too. My family doctor always had a red Karman Ghia convertible. That was back in the day when the doctor made house-calls with his little leather bag.

Almost done with the interior, have to order a few things like the door handle covers, hinges for the glove box door .... No idea where I put that stuff when I took the car apart 5 years ago.....

photo_zpsc863d45c.jpg

Ok , I found these glovebox hinges in one of the many boxes of VW parts ..... Stripped, wire brushed, primed, painted .... Like new again :

photo_zps72393c42.jpg
photo_zpsbbadcffd.jpg

The radio is going to be inside the glovebox, I'll fab up a plate that fits inside the glovebox to hold the radio.
In the middle of the dash will be the stock 1960's Saphire AM radio for the "classic" look :D