made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

today, I almost created a parts car for you...

as a public service announcement, I'll say this:

When you see a Hummer coming in on your left side, the wrong choice is to gun it - your car doesn't have the balls to pull off that maneuver...

lol.... you could crush this thing with a Geo Metro..... with that H3 it's going to feel like a mall speed bump......

ok, made some progress on the rims, I got the inside painted, outside is next......

two coats grey epoxy:

photo_zps10974e86.jpg

two coats white basecoat, followed by three coats clear

photo_zpsb22009de.jpg
photo_zpsab92dd89.jpg

ok, it's been a few weeks and here's the "progress ": i got a battery and my plan was to bleed the brakes and get the Ghia off the jackstands....

photo_zps140a5c54.jpg

well, didn't happen...... two bleeders snapped on the front calipers so I ended up buying two calipers.... while I was at it I repaced the rotors, wheel bearings, tie rod ends.....

photo_zpscf8850d4.jpg

now I have two drop spindles on order as well as new ball joints.....

stay tuned .....

wtf? ......

al I can say is WTF...... big capital letters.......

I got new calipers from a local VW resto store, TriangleAutoparts in Winter park, tjey're AWESOME !!!!!!

too bad I decided I need new rotors (old ones had been machined) ..... so I got new tie rod ends, new rotors, new wheel bearings, new calippers, new seals..... $350 later I was on my way back home......cheaper than Vette stuff at least :lol:

pulling the front susp beam tomorrow :)))))))) .... :lol:

Last edited:
ok...... after a few days of pure pain I finally got the font suspension and axle beam out........
come to find out a few torsion leaves are missing so now I have two sets on order (upper and lower torsion tube) .... cut the beam to weld ride height adjusters in place, going to be adjustable +- 1" up/down ... starting 2 1/2" below stock because of the drop spindles :)

her's a few pics:

beam cut and blasted..... also blasted the disc brake backing plates and one last part of the engine tin......

photo_zps4d0b5158.jpg
here's the beam halves in epoxy primer.... you can also see the shock towers are welded solid, from the factory they're only spot welded

photo_zpsff3b91d9.jpg

here's the backing plates primered.... in the background are the drop spindles......

photo_zps04d44963.jpg

cut the beam in halves to weld adjusters in.... that torsion spring setup is really growing on me.....

photo_zpse9fd3422.jpg
beam welded and painted.....

photo_zps29c1a764.jpg
here's the Ghia as of tonight: 2" drop spindles installed, new shocks, new brakes, just what the doctor ordered......

photo_zps942974b8.jpg

Last edited:
got the throttle linkage sorted out..... the carb is a Weber progressive and apparently this one was not designed for a VW, the throttle turns counter clockwise which made the install a little more difficult.

photo_zps7d97a1dc.jpg
installed the headlights and front bumper.....
photo_zpsd3218b77.jpg

It's alive !!!!!!!! Have to fix a oil leak at the pushrod tubes, other than that it runs great !!!!!

click image to start video !!!

B33-48E2C6C6DC03-3753-000002FC593A0DBA_zps9697feb7.jpg

Last edited:
If a VW engine does NOT leak at the pushrod tubes, how will you tell if it's got oil in it?

:shocking::hissyfit::pprrtt:

Since it is FLORIDA, I would have taken a sawzall to the top, making a roadster out of it, :beer: