made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

Ok .... After a few weeks I finally got back to working on my VW again: pulled the tank since I only painted the top part and left the lower half in epoxy primer ....
I had some charcoal grey metallic left over and a buddy gave me his DeVilbiss GTI gun so I could compare it to my Finishline ...

Well, let the photos do the talk:

photo_zps032eef87.jpg
F58-C1BB973E1DE0-3559-00000354B33F3D9E_zpsf90c1384.jpg

This is straight from the gun, no color sanding no polishing ... Damn that gun is sweet, lays down metallics and clear just as advertized...

This is the "original appearance" Blaupunkt Saphire radio, I think it might be the "correct" radio for 1968 so there it is :

2F6-4E39A053A802-3559-0000039E6D0E64DD_zps047471de.jpg

Too bad it's AM so we need a "real" radio with MP3 player in the glovebox ..... Here's what's holding the radio inside the glovebox (will be painted body color after some filler work) :

A36-B749CD03F7E8-3559-0000039E99527172_zps3a59f86a.jpg

Painted the support for the radio:

photo_zps2375a750.jpg

And installed.....

photo_zpse86e6858.jpg

photo_zps1796cba4.jpg

Under the hood: the radio has to be angled down so it doesn't interfere with the hood hinge:

photo_zpsacf425bb.jpg

Going to pull the engine to fix a nasty annoying oil leak .... Stopped by the hardware store and got a few 12" sections of 2x12 pressure treated lumber .... These are securely bolted together awith 4" Spax screws .....
38F-6B281E053C17-3407-00000466A7973FCA_zps8af3ac6e.jpg

Ok.... Spent some time going thru my scrap-metal pile and then fired up the welder....

photo_zpsa9fd894f.jpg
photo_zps6383a346.jpg

It makes engine removal and install sooo much easier:

photo_zpsbc6b2c2b.jpg

Oil leak seems to be fixed, engine ran for 30 minutes, no leak, not a drop :)

These pushrod tubes are "stock look" windage style in stainless .... Shiny ...

While I had the engine out I removed the clutch and checked crankshaft endplay: .030".... Wear limit is .006" .... So there is a engine rebuild in my future but I've heard of engines running with way more endplay than this so I'll wait and see....it's going to be ok for another 2-3000 miles I hope....

Anyways..... No leaks, going to get up early and go over to the tag office and get it registered..... Might be driving tomorrow.....

photo_zps6ca83f07.jpg

That looks real sharp. No need for the heat (so to speak) shrouds to duct forward in FL.
Come to think of it - mine came off in the winter of 68, in North Dakota! Didn't work in minus 20 anyway.

Cheers - Jim

I finally got it registered.... Got a plate, got the antique registration, got another leak on the rear wheel cylinders, battery won't charge because the generator is dead but other than that it's fun driving it !!!

photo_zpse17c7ef2.jpg

photo_zpsc1857947.jpg

Bravissimo!
My SO is watching over my shoulder and asked me to say bravo too (this is no small feat, I don't get that much :cry: )

Bravissimo!
My SO is watching over my shoulder and asked me to say bravo too (this is no small feat, I don't get that much :cry: )

Thanks a lot to both of you !!! It is awesome to finally drive it - you'll experience the same soon when you get your Vette on the road :D

I finally got it registered.... Got a plate, got the antique registration, got another leak on the rear wheel cylinders, battery won't charge because the generator is dead but other than that it's fun driving it !!!

photo_zpse17c7ef2.jpg

How in hell you get antique tags?? did you have one from long ago?? they dropped the antique tag gig here some years ago, but I still have mine on the vette, I didn't think they allowed reactivation of the tags.....

:confused:

and YES the car looks superb.....GREAT JOB MAN!!!! wish my paint job looked even 1/2 as good....