made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

4 bolts and the engine is out ..... That was easy

-9629-4F19-BA93-98DFD84CA8F0-2248-000001B158AE2615.jpg

I never owned or worked on a VW, my sis drove one though, almost got killed over it, but that's another story....

I never understood the 4 bolts and outta there gig, what about the linkages, wiring, accessories? fans, air cleaners, and crap, being as exhaust is right there, I know it's no issue, someone told me it was easier to drop the engine to change plugs....but that means you have to lift the car body up to clear the engine assy, which I assume is on some sort of like flat bed furniture dolly, which is all I would have for something like that.....

MORE INFORMATION PLEASE!!!!!?

;):clap:

I never understood the 4 bolts and outta there gig, what about the linkages, wiring, accessories? fans, air cleaners, and crap, being as exhaust is right there, I know it's no issue, someone told me it was easier to drop the engine to change plugs....but that means you have to lift the car body up to clear the engine assy, which I assume is on some sort of like flat bed furniture dolly, which is all I would have for something like that.....

MORE INFORMATION PLEASE!!!!!?

;):clap:

disconnect fuel line and battery cable, take off muffler (optional, I took it off earlier).... there are four bolts holding the engine to the bellhousing , that 's it.... I placed a hydr. car jack under the oil pan and lowered it down on the floor .... never done this before and it took me 30 minutes to get it out ....LOL

I actually bought a furniture dolly today :) the engine does not weigh much so I just grabbed it and lifted it on the dolly.....

I'm now doing some more research on VW websites .... this engine has the later style oil cooler (doghouse style) but single port heads that were used before 1970 or so..... the car is a '68 so it should be a 50hp 1.6 engine with 85.5mm bore and 69mm stroke....

I am afraid it might be a hunk of junk pieced together from several engines ....

I want to keep it cheap and I hope I can use most of this engine. What I really want is a 2110 with 82mm stroke and 90.5mm bore ... too bad the parts alone are $3500 .... turn key engines are $4000 .... unless I win the lottery that's out of question, the whole car is only worth $6000-$7000 depending on weather ....LOL

ONLY 50 hp?? that's funny.....

I trying to recall, but I had a Mutsobitchy 1600 engine in '78 in a Plymouth Arrow....and I know it had like 100 hp for damn close....

been a while.....

:clobbered:

the car only weighs 1500lbs or so...... 50hp is ok..... 80hp is pretty good... 100hp make it 'go fast' (which would be a 2.0L stroker) ..... :3rd::nuts::hissyfit:

the car only weighs 1500lbs or so...... 50hp is ok..... 80hp is pretty good... 100hp make it 'go fast' (which would be a 2.0L stroker) ..... :3rd::nuts::hissyfit:

Sounds like it's wanting a hopped up Corvair motor.....
Nah, I know what you're after and that's cool as well......
very cool.....

Fish around for one of them leftover jet engines you all supply.....that ought to work just fine.....:D

well..... transaxle cannot go back in place. While cleaning that thing I found this blue silicone globb on the nosecone....

photo027.jpg

guess what? Bubba apparently dropped the transaxle at some point.... and plugged the hole professionally.... :clap::clap::clap:

photo026.jpg

I guess now I know why this whole thing was covered in gear oil....

not good... maybe that's a sign that you should put a BBC in the front :)

LOL.... look at the photo in post #137 ..... far left corner of the garage.... that's the L48 that came ot of my '79.....

would cause very uneven weight distribution :clap::clap:

at least the new nose cone is cheap.... $55 shipped with new gaskets and new reverse light switch....