made some progress today - Karmann Ghia

Found this today, very interesting information..... takes like 22 seconds to get to 55mph.... I might have to do something to the engine to fix that....first I have to get the interior done and get it on the road....

214b8c794eec004.jpg

Are you going to do any mods so you can beat semi's and school buses in the 1/4 mile :thumbs::thumbs:

FAST FORWARD to 2012......

Update:

I decided the blue paint has to go.... started to strip the paint and will paint it plain jain red, no pearl, no metallic just "red"

I had two spare doors that came with the car when I bought it. Since I like the clean look I decided to shave the door handles and also weld the window slot shut. These doors are a simple bolt-on so if I don't like it I can always swap doors quickly. The car won't have AC so why windows ??? LOL

photo003.jpg

there was some rust at the lower door lip

photo004.jpg

cut out rust and replaced with new steel...

photo006.jpg

in primer.....

photo012.jpg

:smash::smash:

getting serious..... :lol:

photo013.jpg

photo014.jpg
photo016.jpg
photo017.jpg
photo018.jpg
photo019.jpg
photo020.jpg

ran out of shielding gas so it's only tack welded in place .... fit's pretty good :cool::cool:

I finally found a good roof, had it shipped from Texas..... now it's back to original... one of the previous owners cut the top off and it's just way too much $$$ to make it look right..... with an aftermarket top it always looks like a hackjob.....

Looking great, with a hard top it should be much more solid and much easier to cool with A/C. Living in FL that should be a must.
5_1_120.gif

Looking great, with a hard top it should be much more solid and much easier to cool with A/C. Living in FL that should be a must.
5_1_120.gif

Man, you right on with that comment, got up this AM and walked out front looked across the street, think it was smoke in the air, it's not, it's humidity at 100% or better, looking down the street, think it was a swamp or forest fire, can't hardly see the houses....not a stitch of breeze either,

:(:ghost:

5_1_120.gif

convertible is more fun and especially in Florida a lot of sun 'n fun..... but.... a real convertible "conversion" incl the original top bows and headliner would have cost too much .... just like a Corvette.... I needed the frame, bows and inner and outer top fabric.... besides....the AC compressor takes like what ? 6-8 HP ??? that is more than 10% of the engine output..... LOL

5_1_120.gif

convertible is more fun and especially in Florida a lot of sun 'n fun..... but.... a real convertible "conversion" incl the original top bows and headliner would have cost too much .... just like a Corvette.... I needed the frame, bows and inner and outer top fabric.... besides....the AC compressor takes like what ? 6-8 HP ??? that is more than 10% of the engine output..... LOL

Do you plan on power windows?

I remember in the early 60's you could get a Paxton supercharger for these VW engines.

I always wanted a Ghia, but at the time a VW was the best I could do. The Ghia's were pretty expensive. I think a reason was that there's was a lot of handlabor putting the bodies together....I think the body panels were joined with lead to look seamless.

There's probably a 1000 and one ways to get more power...building up the VW/Prosche engine, substituting anothe engine.

An acquaintance I sometimes work with started out with a Corvair engine in his bug, then he turbo charged, then he replaced the engine with a Honda Vortec 4 banger and turbo charged it. I forget how much psi he's running but its a lot. He has a Porsche transmission in it.

Since Corvairs could be ordered with AC, maybe a Corvair engine would be a convenient way to get AC.

the Chev Volt has electric air conditioning - but I'm too lazy to google who manufactures it.... alternatively, you could use an inverter and a/c air conditioning - here's an example of that

http://www.grassrootsev.com/airconditioner.htm

draws 4 amps @ 120VAC

hehehe....I have a 1200 watt inverter to run a Fridge in the motor home....

and it carries over just fine on the road, CS144 alternator and marine battery....

:shocking:

the Chev Volt has electric air conditioning - but I'm too lazy to google who manufactures it.... alternatively, you could use an inverter and a/c air conditioning - here's an example of that

http://www.grassrootsev.com/airconditioner.htm

draws 4 amps @ 120VAC

:shocking:I KNOW you laugh your ass off on this....but I have a 8000 BTU RAC out some old side panel of my motor home....mounted on slides and easy chute to keep the output separate from the suction on the chilly side....

the inverter won't run it, but in a camp ground, it will freeze hell outta the thing....but you see, I paid only 20 bux for the a/c unit, used of course but it had a blown electronic control panel....so I hook up a old household thermostat with a relay to run the a/c unit.....

Yeh, I know, I"m a cheeeeeeeep bastard.....

:1st::crap::beer:

AC?? nah..... first I have to get it to run...... paint is next on the schedule, then interior... then engine..... should be done by 2015 or so..... good thing the world didn't end this year ......