Making my own electric car.....

Damn, you guys are all talking some weird language - generators, solar panels, couplers :twitch: :clobbered:

Wouldn't it be more fun to put a small block into a golf cart?

Fuel is $4.50 a gallon here and climbing. It may be $5.00 by July 4th. They are already talking $6.00. It's choking the country to death. Across the border in Mexico it's $2.00. :rolleyes:

I've also heard of some of these small wind powered generators, they aren't the turbine style, the car would look weird but the faster you went, the more power you'd be making.

Nope. Now your talking perpetual motion. The more power generated by the turbine, the more HP required to move the car. :devil:

You are correct. It's a losing deal.
I once had a long, frustrating conversation with an otherwise bright guy who suggested putting a couple alternators onto the motor of an EV so it can recharge the batteries as you go down the road. Despite my explanations of conversion efficiencies (always less than 100%) and increased vehicle mass, he was just fixed on this as a "range extender". As he was the guy who signed my check at the time, I didn't think it prudent to keep pushing that I was right, and he was wrong.
In addition to some PV panels in the truck bed, I had one additional item I was pondering, but too "shy" to mention earlier, as it might look rather "Bubba-ish". With a five or six foot bed on the truck, you could put a small fold down wind turbine in the back. If it's a windy day while the truck is parked for the day at work, just prop the telescoping base up and let the turbine recharge the batteries until you leave work. (Just remember to fold it back down prior to driving away.)

ps: I'm interested in the name of the (electric motor) book you recommended.

thanks,
Mike

almost 10 here and rising daily

hehe....snicker, YOU drive 100 miles and you changed countries about 4 X allready....:stirpot:

on the battery weight...figger 50 lbs/cell at conversational level so that is about 300 and at MOST 400 lbs.....the engine and exhaust weight that along....and i"m pulling out a tranny and cooling system, I think the car will loose maybe 200 lbs for the conversion....maybe that's optimistic....

:stirpot:

its easy to sit here and bs about building this thing, but its going to be a really difficult thing to attempt.

Once you add up all the time you'd spend on it you'd be much better off buying a new Hydrid. Damn things are only 20 grand.

its easy to sit here and bs about building this thing, but its going to be a really difficult thing to attempt.

Once you add up all the time you'd spend on it you'd be much better off buying a new Hydrid. Damn things are only 20 grand.

20 GRAND???:D:D:toothbrush::devil:

MY budget is under 2 thousand.....10% of that.....

Well, lets look at this problem.

Solution # 1
Buy a friggen Horse,, a chain, a couple long ropes,, and yes a shit catcher.

Solution #2
Buy a mule for low end torque, a chain, a couple long ropes,, a shit catcher.

Solution #3 Note This takes balls, yet it will be the new America sport car model.

Buy a chain, a couple long ropes, forget the shit catcher

Buy a cattle prod,,, ""this is only used for passing gear.

Hook the wife to the chain. Then tell her """Your seeing her sister"""!

Last edited:
Well, lets look at this problem.

Solution # 1
Buy a friggen Horse,, a chain, a couple long ropes,, and yes a shit catcher.

Solution #2
Buy a mule for low end torque, a chain, a couple long ropes,, a shit catcher.

Solution #3 Note This takes balls, yet it will be the new America sport car model.

Buy a chain, a couple long ropes, forget the shit catcher

Buy a cattle prod,,, ""this is only used for passing gear.

Hook the wife to the chain. Then tell her """Your seeing her sister"""!

AND after THAT, i'ts lights OUT!!!! mofo.....

:censored::suicide:

I like your invention, Mine are workable solutions, real time adjustments. You just don't understand being hen pecked! and I didn't need a EE, or a BSOBS.

Last edited:
Why not start out with a Golf Cart and just Pimp it out?
Taller wheels from a motorcycle or something, bigger motor maybe, add in the curtains for weather if they didn't come with.
Virtually all the engineering done, might need to play with the gearing a bit.
Seems to me that converting a regular car (even a saturn) it would still be carrying a lot of weight and mass you don't need, just a guess. Interesting thread, something I have concidered several times, like everytime I gas up my truck.
For the running around local, groceries, small stuff at HD, maybe out to dinner close by it would be great.
For the highway it might be scary tho.

The PV cells and even the wind turbin off a sailboat would still work

Last edited:
Why not start out with a Golf Cart and just Pimp it out?
Taller wheels from a motorcycle or something, bigger motor maybe, add in the curtains for weather if they didn't come with.
Virtually all the engineering done, might need to play with the gearing a bit.
Seems to me that converting a regular car (even a saturn) it would still be carrying a lot of weight and mass you don't need, just a guess. Interesting thread, something I have concidered several times, like everytime I gas up my truck.
For the running around local, groceries, small stuff at HD, maybe out to dinner close by it would be great.
For the highway it might be scary tho.

The PV cells and even the wind turbin off a sailboat would still work

Well, around Clay Co. FLORIDA where I live, they seem relatively lax about golf carts of secondary roads, but NEVER have I seen one on a major road, even crossing a major road....

so the issue is to have something that is street legal, and therefore you can drive the damn thing without problems....couse in a state like Kalifornia, or Faryland where they are super anal about things, you would have problems at some 'inspection' station.....they probably would find a way to take the tags, bet on it.....:shocking:

so then the use of a lightweight CAR as a starting platform makes more sense , to me anyway....

much less the thing is allready designed....by the time all that gas engine oriented crap is outta there, I bet there is enough room for most ANY drivetrain concept....much less at nearly 1/2 the weight...

Yep. No tags for golf carts in Kalifornia. Must meet DOT safety standards, and be able to cruise above 35MPH.
That Gem car, Iacoca's do da, is street legal, but only allowed on side streets.