Making my own electric car.....

That not turtles' engine TODAY i'ts an old shot from years ago....

you just gotta know that man....

a vette minus all gas engine crap would weigh still nearly 2000 lbs....not a whole lot lighter, methinks the Saturn weight is about 2200-2400 to start with....subtract about a grand, and you down to the weight of a stock golf cart.....close anyway....so with TWO motors and twice the batteries???

but twice the wheel diameter too...but narrow hard tires....???

don't forget, engine, power steering, power brakes, exhaust, radiator, all that crap coming out.. gotta be 1000 lbs....

gotta do it.....looking at locatl contacts for a parts collection and get a handle on the costs involved....I figger time/effort at a month, IF I get off my ASS and actually work on it....

:fishing: don't forget, LESS than 2 grand TOTAL COST...figger 200 into the license and insurance anyway.....

I"m a cheeeeeeep bastard.....

:thumbs::eek:

Yeah, I just wanted to take a cheap shot at La Tortuga.

I was kidding about the 'vette, and I completely believe that you can do it.

A word of advice, don't get wheels that are much larger than 13" in diameter.

At one time, my Dad got a hair up his ass, he had an old golf cart chassis minus rear axle, motor, and batteries and an old Honda 360 motorcycle just sitting around, so he put the motorcycle engine and transmission in the golf cart.

He messed up when he put 15" trailer wheels and tires on it, geared it up too high, you had to rev the shit out of the poor little engine just to get her rollin' in first gear but once she got movin' holy shit! Dad's friend paced him up to 80 in a car, at that point Dad rolled onto the throttle and it scared the shit out of him, he never drove it again.

I'd look for some old skool mini cooper wheels, in fact the rear axle and wheels from a mini would be damn near perfect.

It's certainly going to be a one-of-a-kind ride I can tell you that!:cool:

Come to think of it, you could use a '77 'vette, your electric design will probably have about the same amount of power as Turtle's engine, and Turtle's car can do what, 50 maybe even 60 mph?!?!

:pprrtt::D

come on now. that's not fair. i'd say its almost as fast as a prius.

:

yea thats from a while back before it started getting rusty.

Worried about gas? Here ya go!

...I've seen Turtle driving one of these before. His life partner was on the back. :pprrtt:

you were not on the back. That's a lie bitch.:lol:

:friends:

Turtle, you need to build that L48 of yours into a 500hp beast. But keep the valve covers and air cleaner, etc. That could be a very profitable sleeper.

Mr.Vette, why not a civic hatchback? They're some of the lightest econo-crap cars out there. And they have tiny wheels to boot. BTW, there is a Civic Hybrid electric drive motor on E-Bay with no bids at $100.

23071IMA_005.JPG

Last edited:
Come to think of it, you could use a '77 'vette, your electric design will probably have about the same amount of power as Turtle's engine, and Turtle's car can do what, 50 maybe even 60 mph?!?!

:pprrtt::D

come on now. that's not fair. i'd say its almost as fast as a prius.

:

yea thats from a while back before it started getting rusty.
:devil::devil::sos::stirpot:

I have a thought.
How about something like an old Miget Sprite. Those things were light--very light.
But, where do you find one now?
Damn-even an old VW bug.

That's a good idea, maybe even an old MG. Cruise at 35mph in style. :idea:

I have a thought.
How about something like an old Miget Sprite. Those things were light--very light.
Damn-even an old VW bug.

That is a good one. How about some real style and use a Cobra Kit Car? Only 1800 pounds.

Worried about gas? Here ya go!

...I've seen Turtle driving one of these before. His life partner was on the back. :pprrtt:

you were not on the back. That's a lie bitch.:lol:

:friends:

Turtle, you need to build that L48 of yours into a 500hp beast. But keep the valve covers and air cleaner, etc. That could be a very profitable sleeper.

Mr.Vette, why not a civic hatchback? They're some of the lightest econo-crap cars out there. And they have tiny wheels to boot. BTW, there is a Civic Hybrid electric drive motor on E-Bay with no bids at $100.

23071IMA_005.JPG

Einke....that motor is not on this side of the altantic, or it's sold....

I can't find it with a ebay search.....

:cry:

I have a thought.
Damn-even an old VW bug.

That is a good one. How about some real style and use a Cobra Kit Car? Only 1800 pounds.

My problem with small sports cars is that I am 6'5" tall, and a skeleton needing permanent oiling from WD40, arthritis....I flat can't sit in the cars, let alone get in and out....TimAT the other day had a time with my '72 vette here getting outta the pass side....he a bit shorter than me too boot....

I sorta stuck, I think my sister's old Miata would be perfect, but my head was WAY over the windshield bow......

My problem with small sports cars is that I am 6'5" tall

Holy crap Gene, your 1 1/2" taller than me.:crutches:

My normal height should be about 6-2 or so, but I have an extra vertebrae in my lo back spondalitis (extra rib) on a L6 or something backbone...supposed to have 5 of them.....been a PIA all my life....
literally....:shocking::confused:....so that means more head room in any car I can comfortable drive.....I lowered the seat and used the OEM foam in my driver's seat to gain some 3" extra headroom maybe more....also chopped the floorboard and up each side of the kick panel, to the column height, and swung it forward about 3" or so, that lowered my knees off the steering wheel, and then I modded the brake and gas pedals toward the floor more....

with the TT wheel I did ~15 years ago, and the smaller wheel, it's fine for me NOW.....

so I have to be mindful to find a car I can drive....

:beer:

My normal height should be about 6-2 or so, but I have an extra vertebrae in my lo back spondalitis (extra rib) on a L6 or something backbone...supposed to have 5 of them.....been a PIA all my life....
literally....:shocking::confused:....so that means more head room in any car I can comfortable drive.....I lowered the seat and used the OEM foam in my driver's seat to gain some 3" extra headroom maybe more....also chopped the floorboard and up each side of the kick panel, to the column height, and swung it forward about 3" or so, that lowered my knees off the steering wheel, and then I modded the brake and gas pedals toward the floor more....

with the TT wheel I did ~15 years ago, and the smaller wheel, it's fine for me NOW.....

And you want to buy a Saturn?! I went for a trip with my friend who is 6'5" in a Saturn once. We opened the sun roof so that he could stick his head out of it. Of all the econo crap cars I've been in, the Saturn had the tightest interior.

I can't find the motor either. Someone with the same idea must have ended the auction early.

I've been thinking about converting one of my cars to natural gas. I've also thought about having a custom 5th gear made for my Neon, I'm at 4K rpm at 80mph. There's no need for the motor to spin that fast. It could easily chug along at 2500rpm. I get 30+ mpg as it is on the highway, imagine what I could get with an OD gear like that. Maybe even cylinder deactivation? So it would be a 2 cylinder on the freeway? ...I don't know, I'm all over the place.

I could probably removed the extra vertebrae if you want me too

I'll do it for free

I've been thinking about converting one of my cars to natural gas. I've also thought about having a custom 5th gear made for my Neon, I'm at 4K rpm at 80mph. There's no need for the motor to spin that fast. It could easily chug along at 2500rpm. I get 30+ mpg as it is on the highway, imagine what I could get with an OD gear like that. Maybe even cylinder deactivation? So it would be a 2 cylinder on the freeway? ...I don't know, I'm all over the place.

Natural gas conversion parts for a V-8 run about $1,200. The engine runs cleaner, lasts longer, gets to use the carpool lane, but milage and HP decreases. I had an inspector on my Metrolink job convert the work truck 1/2 way thru the job. He felt it was a step backwards .
As for the Neon, isn't that the same platform as a PT Cruiser? Maybe your OD answer is there.

Natural gas conversion parts for a V-8 run about $1,200. The engine runs cleaner, lasts longer, gets to use the carpool lane, but milage and HP decreases. I had an inspector on my Metrolink job convert the work truck 1/2 way thru the job. He felt it was a step backwards .
As for the Neon, isn't that the same platform as a PT Cruiser? Maybe your OD answer is there.

Maybe so, I know the trans was different after 99, but the parts might transfer over. Unfortunately for me the Neon is not a performance vehicle and therefore no one knows anything about them.

I'm 6'2

:sweat:

And I think I'm still getting taller. I hope I don't get much taller though