Making my own electric car.....

Yes and no. higher voltage=less amperage per HP.
A/C motors react to freq. 13,000 rpm at 120 Htz would be a 6,000RPM base speed.
It's 3 phase, 4 pole (They state)
I'd love to see a schematic of the drive unit(Controller)

2 pole motors run at 3600 rpm at 60 hz. 4 poles cuts the speed in half then doubling the freq puts you right back at 3600 rpm.

Then their solution must be 600hz tech, like aircraft. Only way to get that RPM with a 4 pole.

Then their solution must be 600hz tech, like aircraft. Only way to get that RPM with a 4 pole.

or a 2:1 first gear and 4:1 second gear

edit: sorry that doesn't make any sense.

you're right they must be varing the frequency and it must get up to 450 or 500 hz

Last edited:
I thought aircraft were 400 hz, WW2 stuff was anyway.....

I think your correct. I haven't done any high frq stuff in a long time. I do know the rules change. Mucho impedence in a circuit.

OH hell yes, any ET can tell you about weird shit happening to any coil/iron frame anything when various a/c freqs are applied to it....

much less if you hit it with square waves......more ringing than a cathedral bell.....

but I am somewhat surprised at the sheer SIZE of that motor, it looks huge, and even with aluminum windings....that's a lot of iron I can imagine the heat sink necessary to cool the main switch pass devices, assuming it's an a/c motor.....with a Variable Freq Oscillator to drive it....kinda like a PWM type thingy allmost.....

trying to dupe that in a home garage is allmost impossible, and certainly not cost effective.....UNLESS I wuld find a similar motor from someplace for cheeeep....from it's appearance it drives into a normal diffy...I can't see any other way to drive two wheel without one.....which is why I was thinking of my two golf cart motors...one on each wheel in the rear...NO diffy....

let the motor drag even it out...figger the amount of left/right turns will balance out.....:thumbs:

Gene,
Find out if these golf cart motors are shunt, series, or compound wound.
Largest Golf Cart motor I've found is 10HP.

Gene,
Find out if these golf cart motors are shunt, series, or compound wound.
Largest Golf Cart motor I've found is 10HP.

I would hope they are PM fields, hell with that field winding....

not sure about compound wound forget what that means....

course a shunt field....limited current but then you have the armateur still drawing current...not going to work....breifly thought of reversing the alternator regulation practice....

I will get some information from Johnny my welder and get back on this...

I wonder what motor they are using for this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369581,00.html

Some one get me one of those motors for production cost....about 200 bux or so...and I"M IN.....but to state again, the entire car has to be about 2 grand OR LESS...

I have a line on a Saturn, about '94 or so....350 bux...2 dr....

dunno yet...taking too long to find out about golf cart motors....

:nuts:

Some one get me one of those motors for production cost....about 200 bux or so...and I"M IN.....but to state again, the entire car has to be about 2 grand OR LESS...

Hey you old Coot :p i posted a link above to a cheap car :pprrtt:

Hey you old Coot :p i posted a link above to a cheap car :pprrtt:

NOT quite what I had in mind...copy of what?? a '64 Fairlane?? something....

too heavy, by a wide margin....tempted to pick up this Saturn just for grins....

350 bux, if it's not badly torn up.....:bump:

No not a ford fairlane :lol: it's a Russian car,a Volga,i think thats what they call it.
Damm try to help you out,and you totaly Diss me :censored:

No not a ford fairlane :lol: it's a Russian car,a Volga,i think thats what they call it.
Damm try to help you out,and you totaly Diss me :censored:

Hey man, the Russkies just copied old American car designs and did their own thing never changing a dam thing for design sake....

methinks it a knock off of a Fairlane?? pretty sure....

:drink:

It was quite interesting reading about the cars made in Russia,how they copied the ford motor design,and their V-8 is a replica of a ford V-8. And talk about technology challenged,they are at least 50 years behind,but it was still good reading material. There car body design's used a lot of Chrysler designs.I realy like how all the cars have a front seat that folds into a bed,i guess they want you to be comfortable when the POS breaks down in the middle of nowhere :banghead:

The golf cart guy finally got back from vacation, and wants 250 for the motors, and another 200 or so for the drive axels....so that's a grand right there....

I dunno....going to have to talk to him....personally, not relay messages over the phones...

This any help?

antigravityfr6.gif