SBG's C3

correct, witness only on one side 1/2 the circumference - and no, the snout isn't bent.
I could have sleeve it - or used the balancer that was on the shelf

it is a one piece gasket and I actually have two more in stock

Ha, you anticipated my next question ..... :)

Are the witness marks opposite (180 out) from the balance holes that are drilled into the balancer ?? I'm wondering if imbalance is causing the balancer to "wobble" ???

no
PC030009_zpsfe5656fe.jpg

my guess is when I put the pan on, I managed to push up just enough on the timing cover to move it up and since it wasn't touching much that was enough to open it up.

and as I type that

it doesn't leak at idle - it does so under load and more than 3k rpm

Was this rotating assembly balanced with this balancer? Or better:do you know this rotating assembly "belongs" together???
Any chance the previous owner swapped the balancer and it's the wrong balancer?
For example when I assembled my stroker, I needed a neutral balancer but they did drill holes in the flywheel - actually the guys from Keisler sent the flywheel to the shop that balanced the assembly.
Your orange balancer doesn't look like a neutral balanced balancer - any chance the outer ring slipped ??

I have no idea, the bottom end was assembled by the PO. The torques were right on the bolts, so I didn't do anything else with it.

As for the balancer - I'm not sure it came with the motor (I've done more than a few SBCs); but as this is a pretty basic, cast piston bottom end - I'm sure it's never been blueprinted.

they look so innocent and easy-to-do in their box; don't they?
P1060004_zps3310b762.jpg

but it's the first step for the body kit; so here we go (after I finish re-re-sealing the oil pan.)

those body mounts look nice, any details? Are these rubber repros ? Doesn't look like poly :D

Blair's Corvettes (IIRC), ebay specials

I'd rather not have to fix the body after it flexes when the frame moves - it is kind of weird, though, to be using that stuff. Maybe I could fit in on corvette forum? I do admit that I'm tempted to post in the tech section asking the best way to mold on custom fenders :)

what is the best way to remove the lead from the steering arms?

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how much that body can handle... my poly mounts were completely gone and the body sagging about 3/4" (if not more).... with the new mounts it's a huge improvement :)

I'm more concerned with getting the fenders on square.. but I know the driver's side is down compared to the passenger side - so that will be fixed

oil leak fix
P1070001_zpsc76602e0.jpg

I didn't notice the other times I pulled/put this together, but steel crank
P1070002_zps9ae0e5c9.jpg

and fixed (I hope)
P1070004_zpsf2fb84e8.jpg

the sump pan on a 700r4 gets torqued to like 100 inch lbs and anything more ruins the gasket and it leaks....the oil pan on the mga is 6-9 ft lbs.....i felt like a numb nut using a torque wrench to 84 inch lbs. looks like you picked a nice gasket.

you want irony? the prior pan I had put on with mult-part gaskets... and they didn't leak (I was originally planning on selling this car, so I used what I had laying about)

the one-piece leaked... and after pulling it off and looking at it, honestly it shouldn't have.

this one-piece.... another leak, but I think it's because I need to put a washer on one of the pan rail bolts - so I'm not exactly turning into a fan of the one-piece.... with that said, it may cure itself because the motor hasn't been fully heat cycled - but why risk it? I'll get shoulder bolts today.

There has to be something touchy with the one piece gaskets. I have installed 2 and both leaked, Never had the 4 piece gasket leak!! And H have been playing with SBCs since the sixties!!!:eek:

What is the secret??? Not tightened enough??? Tightened too much!!!

silicone, lots and lots of silicone... oh yeah, and oil pan rail studs...

it's not leaking now, but good gracious that was tough

and I agree - the one-piece sounds like such a good idea. I won't be fooled again.

silicone, lots and lots of silicone... oh yeah, and oil pan rail studs...

it's not leaking now, but good gracious that was tough

and I agree - the one-piece sounds like such a good idea. I won't be fooled again.
:thumbs::thumbs:

Yeah - I have the pan off my 78 so I can powder coat it - I'll stick to the 4 piece when it goes back together!

I hate oil leaks :beer:

John

I've never liked how the belt tensions on this car, so I'm fixing it - also, when I replaced the water pump, it was used.... because that's what I had... time to fix both
IMG_0071_zps30d10d0e.jpg

IMG_0072_zps762ade22.jpg

as with all things.... it doesn't fit

IMG_0073_zpse8cb780b.jpg

so I welded an aluminum extension on it
IMG_0074_zpsdc720032.jpg

and fixed
IMG_0075_zpsf9cbde95.jpg

I had aspirations of making it flat-sided; but then I realized my belt sander needs a belt - so it's a bit more modern art than machined (used a side grinder)