Some interesting metal working tools

Picked up a HF surface conditioning power tool a while ago. Figured it might be good for stripping paint off a frame. Tested it out the other day on a cross member and it worked extremely well.

Here is a hack I came up with, abusing my HF equipment. :)

I got this miller welding table for $270 last winter. But, the top had a significant bend in it. Took it apart and hit it with a sledge on the concrete a few times. There were still some bends, so ended up disassembling my press and using it sideways. Had a couple of short 2x4s on top and the hydraulic jack underneath. The lift table worked perfectly for positioning the 3/16 thick table top.

Those lift tables are awesome. I bought it originally so I could lift the bed of my lathe for assembly.

The table top is pulled out in the photos, but you can insert the whole diagonal and apply bending load if you want. It only took an hour or two, so I’m pretty happy.

IMG_2273.jpegIMG_2268.jpegIMG_2267.jpeg

Those lift tables are great for the price. Should have bought the next size larger.

Saw one of these for sale second hand. I could have used that in the past.

Not metal working, just too lazy to make a new thread.

that looks like a good idea with one exception, it puts your head at the level of the door sill plus thickness of he pad, instead of the footwell. You can barely get your head in there to see what your doing.

I bought a “new to me” toolbox and didn’t check all the drawers. But, the bottom alone retails for 5x what I paid for both.

Anyway two of the small bearing packs were missing. So decided to get into stamping 0.26 steel.

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpegThe set on the bottom is missing the inner bearing pack.

IMG_2646.jpegSo here goes die making.

The cross gouge is from grinding off a welded cross piece. I can fill with braze later if necessary.

100 0.25 in bearings were 6$ from Amazon ( free shipping).

I’ve finished the dies and made some test pieces. Lots of oil is required.

The sheet metal part that holds the bearings in place if you pull out the drawer. This close up might help show it better. I’ve made a trial piece that is acceptable. Now need to beef it up and add guides for the narrow die.

IMG_2657.png

If you look at the earlier photo, the bearings are missing on one. I have 2 bad sliders. My guess is someone goofed when reinstalling the drawers.

Last edited:
Top die, bottom die, and test piece. Sheet metal needs to be wider so the sides are taller. Going to drill last in mill.

IMG_2663.jpeg

Have one drawer done, but need to disassemble and trim for more clearance. Second and last drawer under way. Not the prettiest, but you won’t see it. Thought about using the metal brake, but could not visualize it. Maybe get cars running after this. :)

Yeah, the hardwood fixture will is a bit bubba, but didn’t want to waste a bunch of aluminum.

IMG_2767.jpegIMG_2760.jpeg

Nice job. That's a complicated assembly to make from scratch.

You are too kind. And, I’m too cheap. I think eBay had some sliders for $180 ea. But, I wanted to try stamping sheet metal.

It won’t be seen, so my errors won’t be obvious.

Some guys posted that if you go complain to snap on, they will send new sliders, but I’m probably the 4th owner. :)

Back