LS Swap in 78 Vette

Throttle Body need spaced out.

I need a Throttle Body spacer to fit the LS 6 manifold. The cable end is hitting the water pump neck. Looks like it needs to be at least and 1" from manifold to back of TB. Where the cable rotates it hits the neck of the water pump and I have another bracket for the TV cable so it will have more interference.

Attachments

• Corvette LS TB Cable hits Water Pump.JPG
    Corvette LS TB Cable hits Water Pump.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Corvette LS Throttle Body 3 hole.JPG
    Corvette LS Throttle Body 3 hole.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 15
There are tb spacers for aftermarket tb's to fix the iac hole isdue. Can't you notch the wp? There are also spacers so yoy can run an f body wp w truck belt setup

There are tb spacers for aftermarket tb's to fix the iac hole isdue. Can't you notch the wp? There are also spacers so yoy can run an f body wp w truck belt setup
Can't notch the water pump with out major rework and welding up the water pump. Be easier if I could buy a spacer but so far not finding what I need. Going to work up some spacers tomorrow and figure out how to move the TB forward.
Found this on ebay, if I can get by with 1" this might be the solution if the bolt spacing is correct.

Attachments

• Corvette LS Throttle Body Spacer.JPG
    Corvette LS Throttle Body Spacer.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Corvette LS TB hits wate pump neck.JPG
    Corvette LS TB hits wate pump neck.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Looking back, I think I could have changed the crank pulley to the LS pulley which would have moved the brackets closer to the engine and they might have cleared the A arms. The offset is 3" for the LQ9 truck crank pulley. LS would have been 1.5" and brackets moved in 1.5" closer to engine. Probably interfered with something else so onward with the swap.

Mocked up the TB spacer yesterday and one inch spacer will work fine. Going to order one off ebay.
Thanks to Garys 68 worked out a solution for the PS pump pulley and planning on Dorman 300-123 and get a bushing made. That will provide the necessary clearance for the A Arm.
Got the starter wired and the exhaust figured out. Will need to mount the O2 sensor and get the bung welded up.
Need to bend the fuel rail input tube a little as it hits part of the coil pack.

I picked up both pulleys and will make a bushing for each. Just as easy to make 2 when setting up.

Proper Oil Dip Stick Length?

Been searching LS forum and a few others. Dip stick is GM 12561712 is 26 1/8 inch from tip to the shoulder of the top of the stick. #12558988 stamped on it with the letter M stamped near the top. It is 24 5/8 long
Dipstick: 12562468 was used in Batwing oil pan and haven't found the length of that one.
It appears that GM changed the tube and stick after 2000.
I have a batwing from a 2000 and I don't know the year of the dipstick tube but it fits and mounts where its supposed to with the threaded hole in the cylinder head.
Just want one that's long enough and I can mark full on it after I get the 6.5 qts of oil in it.

Progress

I am getting the bushing made for the Dorman 300-201. Had a couple of small problems with the Holley cable connectors. Going to Scratchy's junk yard to get a few connectors for the sensors. Need to bend the fuel rail connection a little bit as its hitting one of the coil pack connectors. Waiting for the 1" spacer for the TB and the exhaust flanges. All the Vintage Air hoses crimped and tightened. Might get it to start then engine by this weekend.

Another bump in the retro

The injector plugs on the holley harness don't fit the injectors I have on the LS6 fuel rail. Bummer.

Attachments

• Corvette Holley Injector Harness.JPG
    Corvette Holley Injector Harness.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 10
  • Corvette LS 6 injectors.JPG
    Corvette LS 6 injectors.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 12
Making Progress

Turns out the injectors I got with the LS 6 manifold are to small and I should be using 36 lb injectors. Going to buy some new injectors today$$. Got the TB spacer, dip stick out of a truck cut down to 24". All the sensors wired to the harness.
Ready to wire the truck Alt to the vette harness. Discovered a rats nest of in the old wire harness for the old alt. Will get that reworked today. http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/779728-thee-alternator-faq-thread.html#post7748845

Last edited:
Got a set of 42 lb injectors on the way. Waiting on some other parts. All the Holley harness is fixed and the sensors in place. Got the TB adapter from EBay and it fit perfect. Will work on exhaust, wire alternator and install radiator. Hope to fire up by Monday or Tuesday.

Getting closer

I cut the dipstick from the junk yard off to 24" from the bottom of the handle to the tip of the metal and its to short. Poured 6 1/2 quarts of oil in engine and nothing on the dip stick. Going back to Scratchy's Salvage and get another dip stick and try again.
Have had a couple of day and hanger. Got the radiator installed with fans. Bullshark got the Holley Program configured. Garys 68 helped me figure out the radiator hoses and how to wire the Alternator. Tim helped with the torquing the A arm bolts and plumbing up the vacuum system. The spacer is installed in the Throttle Body that linkage clears the water pump neck. Picking up the pulley for the Power Steering pump tomorrow with the bushing installed. The fuel injectors should be in Monday. All the sensors are wired to the harness.
Still need to figure out the air filter. Have to work out a different bracket for the TV cable. Will get the exhaust pipes fitted up on Monday and hope to try and start Monday night.

Attachments

• Corvette LS TV and TB Cable.JPG
    Corvette LS TV and TB Cable.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 13
Getting closer

Picked up my PS pulley today and got the serpentine belt measured. Injectors should be in tomorrow. Fixed the TV cable, turns out I had a bracket that came with the kit from Bowtie. Makes the cable line up with the TB. Just need to drill additional hole since I moved the TB forward 1" to clear the water neck. Cranked the engine over until I had oil pressure. Can't wait to start this beast up.

Attachments

• Corvette LS TV cable Bracket.JPG
    Corvette LS TV cable Bracket.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
More challenges

Got a few things done today and a few more problems. Alternator is mounted and wired. TV cable bracket mounted. Got the exhaust pipes made and need to get the bung welded in.
While getting the power rearranged for the welder, the 4 post lift's motor burned up. So looks like going back on jack stands to finish the exhaust.
Got the fuel injectors and they are about 1" shorter than the ones I had for my LS6 fuel rail.

Attachments

• Corvette LS Fuel Injectors 42 and 28.JPG
    Corvette LS Fuel Injectors 42 and 28.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 4