the home renovations begins.....

The house sure has come a long way pretty fast. I know you be glad to get in soon.

Looking good!

hurryup and sell it while you can still get 1/2 of what you paid.

:smash::crylol: It has been very common around the DC region for this rebuilding of closer in decent burbs....the commuting from outer regions is stupid already....I know of many people driving from PENNSYLVANIA and many have come from W. VA. for years, which is not as far, actually, depending on where in W. Va......

some houses just like that concept were done in the ex's hood, and in another hood in Chevy Chase where some friends live....

typical 1600' house.....up there in a decent hood with a 30 minit commute to say K st NW or Capitol hill, or Foggy bottom any of the mall area...is about 500 grand UP......1/4 acre and built in the 30-50's......

NOVA tends to be a bit cheaper, due to the commute is worse because of the river and the attendant lack of bridges....there are only about 6 that are at all useful for commuters....

An aside comment, it would be SO simple for a 1/2 way organized group to overthrow the FED.GOV it's not even funny....the town is wide open....

most anyone that spent any time there, like me, knows the nerve centers, and there are not many of them....

:crap::eek::twitch:

wow its been busy.....we are out of the rental house and into the new home, we passed all final inspections and i have a new building permit for the garage and hopefully the construction will begin in the week or so.....i get some pictures up this week end

Glad to hear it Bob. We've missed ya. Now, for the FUN part of the project. Blow the rest of the budget.:quote:

too damn small!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a 22' wide by 24' deep garage, i think i will make it with 9' high walls and a roof system that uses a ridge beam to carry the weight of the roof rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties. thhis will let me use an over height backyard buddy that will "shelve" a car with 7' clearance under the car. this will give me some extra working room. i am envious of the guys in rural areas that have mega garages.....right now i am looking into radiant floor heating with a closed loop electric water heater. any body have any experience with this type of system?

too damn small!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a 22' wide by 24' deep garage, i think i will make it with 9' high walls and a roof system that uses a ridge beam to carry the weight of the roof rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties. thhis will let me use an over height backyard buddy that will "shelve" a car with 7' clearance under the car. this will give me some extra working room. i am envious of the guys in rural areas that have mega garages.....right now i am looking into radiant floor heating with a closed loop electric water heater. any body have any experience with this type of system?

YES, a buddy did one in his garage in Kensington Md, just up the street, he did it for his PT cabinet shop...the system was done with some like styrofoam insulation on the dirt, then the pipes then the steel mesh, then they poured....

gotta watch the concrete guys that they pull the pipes up into the cement at a decent height toward the middle, they are supposed to be on little wire stands to do that, but that is why I think they goofed with the wire mesh, and I would have not used it at all, unless right on top of the styrofoam....as the guys were walking around in the slop, the stands tipped over with their tramping on it....

but it works fine.....nice warm floor....I moved too soon after to know about utility costs though...he had a gas WH to run it with,

I had a whole house 150k BTU gas heater up there, just for the work bay, that thing blasted some heat out, the previous owner who built the garage installed it with ceiling ducts, and I can't imagine why...just a dump into the enclosed area is plenty.....heated that work bay in about 7-8 minits, easy do...

it used to be propane and cost me about 300 bux/year to heat, but I was using it steady on, with a HUGE tank out back....

:yahoo:

i am having difficulty justifying the radiant floor heating, i have a 240 v electric heater and it just doesn't get and stay that cold down here very long....i think i would rather put the $1500 into a backyard buddy lift. the advantage of the radiant floor heating is a warm floor but it is still a hard floor and crawling around on it is still no fun.....where the lift would get me up off the floor......the electric heat is very very fast and the radiant floor heat needs a little more time to use it...i am not sure what to do but time is running out...the digging starts next tuesday

I don't know that you need in-floor heat, but definately insulate the foundation & slab regardless.

Yea, blow off the in-slab heating and just go with the heater. What ya gonna do if the piping in the slab leaks?....Make sure the slab depth and psi is suitable for the weight of the lift. I went with 6+ inches with re-bar on mine. On the roof have you considered "scissor-trusses"? I have them on my garage (18 ft. ceiling)

I don't know that you need in-floor heat, but definately insulate the foundation & slab regardless.

Yea, blow off the in-slab heating and just go with the heater. What ya gonna do if the piping in the slab leaks?....Make sure the slab depth and psi is suitable for the weight of the lift. I went with 6+ inches with re-bar on mine. On the roof have you considered "scissor-trusses"? I have them on my garage (18 ft. ceiling)

Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:

i have decided that the radiant floor heating would be sweet but i would rather throw the $$$ into the Backyard buddy lift....i am getting psyched digging starts tuesday, and i may actually have a garage before Christmas...

i think i will use conventional 2x6 framing with a center ridge beam that will carry the weight of the rafters so i don't have to use any collar ties, like what i used on the house.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, us plumbers are pretty unique & special people, huh?;)

Actually, all we do is let the dog in for a few minutes, and wherever he curls up & lies down, we know that's the warm spot where the hot water is leaking into the floor. (But don't tell anybody, it's $65 an hour to do that, minimum one hour.)

Plumbers have audio sensors that can locate the leak in a flash....chisel it up and patch....but that is pretty un common....:smash::smash::thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, us plumbers are pretty unique & special people, huh?;)

Actually, all we do is let the dog in for a few minutes, and wherever he curls up & lies down, we know that's the warm spot where the hot water is leaking into the floor. (But don't tell anybody, it's $65 an hour to do that, minimum one hour.)[/QUOTE]

:crap::lol::lol::lol::crylol::sos:

Damnit man, just damnit, outta a job already.....

:noworry:

well the footings got poured yesterday and we have a home full of people today
IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

we will put in a new curb cut and the driveway will go onthe the other side of the house
IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

the dining room was filled with desserts....and the family took over the living room....

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

Last edited:
next week is abusy week the big tree gets cut down and the slab gets poured and the framing starts, the builder says it will be done by Christmas

IMG_2191.jpg

What's that white shit all over the dirt there.....

:harhar:

I remember that from the vague past.....

:trumpet: