C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

I was able to go to the local NAPA and find a stock hose that fit. Can't remember the car it came from. The return hose I made from a Dorman repair part. It's low pressure so that one is easy.

Reviving a zombie thread.

I plan on doing this as I don't want to spend the $1000 for the borgeson kit.

Going to make some observations here and someone can correct me where I'm wrong.

Box - 99-2004 grand cherokee

Pitman arm - from a Chevelle, I've seen many other posts saying you need to modify the sector shaft to make the original pit an arm work. But this replaces that need.

Idler arm - may be a little out of alignment so may need to make new mounting.

Control valve - get the borgeson drag Link.
The control valve ram - install steering shock?

Mounting - no frame welding/cutting needed? Just build brackets - brackets bolt to box then to frame.

U joint - borgeson has one

Hoses - can build my own.

Am I missing anything? Or wrong on any info?

Box - 99-2004 grand cherokee Correct

Pitman arm - from a Chevelle, I've seen many other posts saying you need to modify the sector shaft to make the original pit an arm work. But this replaces that need. Correct

Idler arm - may be a little out of alignment so may need to make new mounting. If I recall, you need to move the mount for the Corvette arm

Control valve - get the borgeson drag Link. You need a manual steering drag link
The control valve ram - install steering shock? None of this is needed

Mounting - no frame welding/cutting needed? Just build brackets - brackets bolt to box then to frame. The original mount holes (to the frame) will work if you drill them out. I think I used 7/16.

U joint - borgeson has one Correct

Hoses - can build my own. Correct

Box - 99-2004 grand cherokee Correct

Pitman arm - from a Chevelle, I've seen many other posts saying you need to modify the sector shaft to make the original pit an arm work. But this replaces that need. Correct

Idler arm - may be a little out of alignment so may need to make new mounting. If I recall, you need to move the mount for the Corvette arm

Control valve - get the borgeson drag Link. You need a manual steering drag link
The control valve ram - install steering shock? None of this is needed

Mounting - no frame welding/cutting needed? Just build brackets - brackets bolt to box then to frame. The original mount holes (to the frame) will work if you drill them out. I think I used 7/16.

U joint - borgeson has one Correct

Hoses - can build my own. Correct
Awesome. Thanks for the replies.

So drill the original box holes in the jeep box mounting points?(I saw some one do that) or drill the jeep box mounting points through the car frame?

Do you have the part number for the manual drag Link? All that comes up is the borgeson one.

Also, knowing all that needs to be done ect. I'm curious on your thoughts.
I can get the borgeson kit for $800 Canadian through my work. Would you just say screw it and go that route instead? I'm torn between the 2 options.

Last edited:
The manual drag link is much different than the power. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Drill the frame rail for bigger bolts (7/16"). The original bolts a 3/8 ungraded stove bolts. The Jeep box has an integral servo so it puts a lot of stress on the frame. I think Borgenson makes a brace for this.

The manual drag link is much different than the power. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Drill the frame rail for bigger bolts (7/16"). The original bolts a 3/8 ungraded stove bolts. The Jeep box has an integral servo so it puts a lot of stress on the frame. I think Borgenson makes a brace for this.
Is it integral with the relay rod on manual vs power?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_195332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_195332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
Yea it looks like you can buy the borgeson manual drag link that replaces the power one, or buy a manual drag link which is part of the relay rod.

Back