Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

Yes, I did at first. But now that I have the body on the frame, and started fitting them for real, I realize that these things are terrible. I'm pulling molds of this car when its done.

I spoke too soon I guess.

My Vanacor flares needed some work on the front passenger side but other than that they fit great.
Good idea to take molds on yours, are you planning on making quarter panels?

You show a picture of a hot melt glue gun without explanation. Is there something that you used it for?

My Vanacor flares needed some work on the front passenger side but other than that they fit great.
Good idea to take molds on yours, are you planning on making quarter panels?

Yes, I am. Since I do this for a living now, I'm looking ahead to the future. One day when I have my own shop, I can use these molds to either sell full quarter panels or install them for customers. Hopefully. I'm taking full fender molds too.

You show a picture of a hot melt glue gun without explanation. Is there something that you used it for?

I've found that when you need to use cardboard to support a fiberglass repair (instead of using the bondo and tape method) that a craft glue gun works great to hold the carboard in place. When the repair is done, the hot glue just rolls off of the panel with a push of a screwdriver, without leaving anything behind. Give it a quick scuff with some 80 grit just to be safe, and your panel is unharmed.

Last edited:
Frame is perfectly levelled, with all 4 tires still on the 4 points I levelled off a year ago. The rear flares are the exact same distance to the ground, and the distance around the tires is relatively the same. The half shafts are dead equal side to side when viewed from the back. It couldn't be more perfect. All of Mike's tips have made this happen!

The next step was to make the flare round to the tire, replicating the right side. This is just to get it close. You will see what I am going to do next to match the profile of the right flare when viewed from the front and rear of the car.

DSC08910.jpg

Sanded all the gelcoat off for the next step.

DSC08912.jpg

Last edited:
The next step was to build the flare out more to cover the tire, and make it look identical to the right flare.

DSC08914.jpg

DSC08919.jpg

DSC08918.jpg

DSC08925.jpg

Check out the Camaro we just finished. I prepped the hood, valance, fenders, trunk lid and a few other parts. Between Byron, Trevor, and myself, we knocked this one out of the park. The two of them are teaching me well - I couldn't be happier with my new job!

Foothills_No_31-20111124-00238.jpg

Foothills_No_31-20111125-00245.jpg

Foothills_No_31-20111124-00234.jpg

Foothills_No_31-20111124-00237.jpg

Foothills_No_31-20111124-00242.jpg

Foothills_No_31-20111111-00218.jpg

That's trevor on the left...that guy is effin hilarious.
Foothills_No_31-20111111-00216.jpg

Last edited:
I blasted and painted some more hardware today.

DSC08928.jpg

Its funny but I noticed something Byron is extremely good at - making sure we have every part and the hardware that goes along with it before we actually need it. So I started thinking to myself the other day that I better start doing the same thing, that way when its time to fit the next piece, I already have it on hand. Last night I placed a really large order after months of saving. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy everything new, so I'm also getting some used parts.

If any of you guys have parts cars and are willing to sell some parts to me, let me know. Ben (chstitans42) is selling me some parts, which is a great help since he lives around the corner from Mike.

Last edited:
Just wanted to pay my respect to you and the absolutely astonishing work you have put into your car!!
I have read to page 36 so far and I´m speachless...

Best regards, Daniel

It's a fun thread, many are watching. Lots of good stuff going on. I keep meaning to call and stop by [if convenient] on one of my trips to Calgary ...

It's a fun thread, many are watching. Lots of good stuff going on. I keep meaning to call and stop by [if convenient] on one of my trips to Calgary ...

Shit on that, when it's done, I going 5000 miles to STEAL the damn thing.....

efff en AAAAA man.....

:D:D:crutches::thankyou:

Just wanted to pay my respect to you and the absolutely astonishing work you have put into your car!!
I have read to page 36 so far and I´m speachless...

Best regards, Daniel

I read from page 1 a while back and look forward to all the updates

That paint job on the Camaro is show quality most people, but not to Byron - it is "his" type of driver paint job. I plan on going for show quality. Trevor might be giving me a hand with the prep work when I'm ready for him.

I glassed all weekend. This flare is really coming along.
DSC08930.jpg

DSC08931.jpg

DSC08933.jpg

DSC08936.jpg

I also spent hours going through every part to see what else I need. Yikes. So much small stuff...if only there was a parts car in my backyard, this would make life so much simpler lol.

Last edited:
Any info on the side mirrors on the Camaro?

All I know is that the owner purchased them. They're aftermarket. I'll try and get an real answer for you tomorrow morning.

Lots of grinding to get it to look like this. It's getting closer.

DSC08941.jpg

DSC08942.jpg

DSC08943.jpg

Time to hit the sack and start it all over again tomorrow:rock:

Latest posts

Back