Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

Now you done it...a pic of yourself, turtle won't be able to sleep for a whole week LOL

Hopefully Mike will start posting pics of the engine as it comes together. He's also going to be building an engine test stand so he can tune it and run it before it gets shipped. Mike, post pics when you get a chance:thumbs:

You gotta stop keeping Mike occupied LOL it means we have to wait longer for parts ;)

Yeah, but then my car would look like shit, and I wouldn't make any progress!:amused:

That man has saved me numerous times on this build, and if it weren't for him, I probably would have given up a long time ago. Mike is building this thing over the phone:beer:

Had to build up this lip before I could bond a panel on the back of it - needed more surface area to bond too (the lower lip was practically gone)

DSC05317-1.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

Finished the front side of this crack yesterday...

DSC05323.jpg

Started preparing the backside of it for more glass work...

DSC05324.jpg

Finished the lip on the firewall finally - gave it a quick spray to see what it looked like (wipes off with lacquer thinner). Because I added so much glass on the inside of the repair, I was able to grind the original glass flush with the 4 layers I applied on the outside of the edge. This is without causing any compromise to the strength of the lip...it is still thicker than stock!

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05335.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

DSC05337.jpg

DSC05338.jpg

DSC05339.jpg

DSC05342.jpg

DSC05344.jpg

DSC05345.jpg

DSC05347.jpg

DSC05348.jpg

DSC05350.jpg

DSC05352.jpg

DSC05354.jpg

A couple more days, and I will be ready to start fitting the bonding strips back on this thing (not bonding them until I mock up the front end).

According to Mike, the short block on the engine is finished, as of yesterday. He said he would get some pics in the next week or so - he has to go over to the shop and pick out a cam. Once Dave installs the cam, Mike takes over the build and finishes her off. He is doing all the top end work - and he will also be tuning/painting it. Stay tuned!

PS: What color should Mike paint it? Yellow like the calipers, chevy orange or black...I can't make up my mind anymore. I'm trying to stick with the yellow/black theme, but yellow shows a lot of dirt...which is why I went light with it on the frame (only did the calipers that color). The car is getting painted the same yellow as the calipers (or at least close to it...still have to pick out the exact yellow I want).

PS: What color should Mike paint it? Yellow like the calipers, chevy orange or black...I can't make up my mind anymore. I'm trying to stick with the yellow/black theme, but yellow shows a lot of dirt...which is why I went light with it on the frame (only did the calipers that color). The car is getting painted the same yellow as the calipers (or at least close to it...still have to pick out the exact yellow I want).

Sure is coming along nicely. I'm leaning toward black with some yellow accents strategically placed around the engine compartment for accent. If you wanted a lighter color you might consider a silver or light gray which would not distract from the yellow/black theme as orange would.

Just my two cents. Keep the change.

DC

Took a little break from both the vette and work yesterday. It seems like all I do is work my butt off 24/7. My grandfather was in town, so we went fishing, and caught about 50 pickeral in under 7 hours - so much fun!

DSC00145.jpg

Then I finished some more repairs when I got back. I'm so close to finishing this firewall!

DSC05367.jpg

DSC05369.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

My new parts from Mike finally arrived last week. I was able to start mocking up the bonding strips on the firewall. I slowly have to screw the cowl down, twisting and shaping it along the way.

DSC05400.jpg

DSC05401.jpg

DSC05402.jpg

DSC05403.jpg

DSC05404.jpg

DSC05405.jpg

DSC05406.jpg

DSC05407.jpg

Had to fix a two spots on my new cowl (damage from shipping)...

DSC05411.jpg

And I finally bonded that stupid vent hole shut - installing hot rod air, so no need for this anymore.

DSC05410.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

What an insane amount of work on that firewall...by the time you'll get to the body you'll be all bummed out from that glass work.

Latest posts

Back