Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

I will be bonding this part in. I drilled 1/8'' guide holes before removal of this piece when I started the firewall. I also sandblasted it...no more rust. This part will eventually get painted with the rest of the firewall in the next month or so. I can finally see the end of the tunnel.

DSC05417.jpg

DSC05421.jpg

More fiberglass rrepair prep- I only got a few more to do on this stupid piece:hurray:

DSC05418.jpg

Mike told me to bond these pieces in (#1 mounts), as the rivets alone will not keep them in place over time. The holes will eventually egg shape from vibrations if not bonded in place. It took me forever to prep these parts, and clean up the panels after gluing. The bonding adhesive I use is called Marine-tex. You have to mix it up on a mixing board before application, and the ratio is key...

DSC05422.jpg

DSC05426.jpg

and, as I mentioned before, I bonded this metal plate in earlier today...

DSC05423.jpg

More tomorrow.

I finished fitting most of the pieces earlier today. Still need to bond them in place, but its getting there. It took lots of twisting/tweaking of the panels to make them fit perfect. I also used a trick Mike taught me - using a heat gun to soften some of the glass, then letting it cool off. You can change the shape of a panel using this method, and it works awesome. It also prevents cracking of the panel, as it does not put stress on it.

DSC05432.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

DSC05434.jpg

DSC05435.jpg

DSC05436.jpg

I sandblasted and bonded this metal plate in for the windshield wiper motor...

DSC05438.jpg

Sandblasted these two brackets (they are getting bonded in place as well). They are for the hood latches.

DSC05439.jpg

Marine Tex is damn good shit, expensive, but you can glue air to the moon with it.....:eek::smash:

Hey, I am really inspired by your work. A guy from CF recommended me to view this thread. I am 17 and trying to bring a 73 back to life, but you blow me away.

You know much much more than me, have a lot of family support and have crazy seeming funds. I give a thumbs up on all the work. I hate to use the word, but I wish I had the time, money, and knowledge to do what you are doing.

Here is a pic of my car.

IMG_0232.jpg

It was a great deal that I found on craigslist for just 500 bucks. Only problem is that, that was my last 500 bucks. I cant even buy oil and plugs to try and get the engine running.

But definitely like I said thumbs up again, beautiful work. You are inspiration to me, and I hope that I'll have the opportunity to do a really proper restoration like yours.

For now, its that minimum wage job and high school, with a sitting around my vette fiddling with adjustable wrenches on the weekends after homework.

Power to ya, and I cant wait to see what comes up next. We all want to see what its going to turn out like!

Hey, I am really inspired by your work. A guy from CF recommended me to view this thread. I am 17 and trying to bring a 73 back to life, but you blow me away.

You know much much more than me, have a lot of family support and have crazy seeming funds. I give a thumbs up on all the work. I hate to use the word, but I wish I had the time, money, and knowledge to do what you are doing.

Here is a pic of my car.

IMG_0232.jpg

It was a great deal that I found on craigslist for just 500 bucks. Only problem is that, that was my last 500 bucks. I cant even buy oil and plugs to try and get the engine running.

But definitely like I said thumbs up again, beautiful work. You are inspiration to me, and I hope that I'll have the opportunity to do a really proper restoration like yours.

For now, its that minimum wage job and high school, with a sitting around my vette fiddling with adjustable wrenches on the weekends after homework.

Power to ya, and I cant wait to see what comes up next. We all want to see what its going to turn out like!

I got my vette when I was 17 I think (I was still in High School). I worked all summer for two years to gather up enough cash to buy this hunk of junk (there is no better way to put it - it was a mess, and I was the sucker that bought it). This restoration didn't really get anywhere until I finished high school. I, just like you, did homework every night, had barely enough money to support the vette, and really wanted to get going on it. I was in the same shoes as you. It wasn't until I got a full time job after high school that I was able to really dig into this thing. I work my butt off 24/7 - both at work and at home. It isn't easy, I can tell you that much. The amount of effort I am putting into this thing is, well, ridiculous.

I took time off school because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life at the time. I am very good with my hands, and this project shows that. Part of the reason I am working so hard on this thing is because I want to do this for a living - I need somewhere to start first. I plan on heading back to school to do a trade related to this restoration, so I can get my life going - probably within the next 6 months or so. And, once that happens, I am going to be in the same spot I was in when I was 17. I need to at least get it running and in one piece again before that 6 month mark - another reason why I am killing myself.

I wouldn't be able to do this without my parents - they are best. They support every move on this project, as it means alot to me. They know I have the talent to do this for a living, and they want to see what this project looks like when its done. Its a resume' for my future kind of.

I appreciate the kind words, I really do;)

You sandblasted those parts and then bonded them on bare? They are going to rust in no time. Why didn't you coat them with something? Thinned down por (sprayed) over a blasted surface really gets into the rough texture and is next to impossible to get off (yes...it'll go off if you grind down the metal) That's what I did with parts that I forgot to send to the platers.

You sandblasted those parts and then bonded them on bare? They are going to rust in no time. Why didn't you coat them with something? Thinned down por (sprayed) over a blasted surface really gets into the rough texture and is next to impossible to get off (yes...it'll go off if you grind down the metal) That's what I did with parts that I forgot to send to the platers.

You cannot bond to paint, especially with marine tex. You need a rough surface to bond to, or else you get a poor bond - i am all about strength. I sealed it shut by fitting the parts very tight. Next i applied so much marine tex to every square in of metal that when i pressed down it squirted out everywhere. I sealed it shut with the bonding adhesive. this area is inside tbe engine compartment, so i am not too worried about rust. however, when i fix the number 4 body mounts, i will be bonding to powdercoatr, which is much stronger and thicker than paint.

I know you can not readily bond to paint but you can bond to cured por that has been carefully bead blasted with glass beads to provide a rough finish. The same for plated parts, all it needs is either some blasting or a rinse in an etching agent or washing with a phosphate wash. The conversion layer has excellent bonding properties.

Powdercoating is not necessarily stronger than paint and the fact that the coating is thicker doesn't make it stronger for bonding either. It's all in the prop work, not just blasting and coating but phosphate washing if required (like on plated parts when they have to be painted or powdercoated, commonly used are iron and zinc phosphate), cleanliness and the proper formulated powder.

I also don't see the need to epoxy glue that stuff on there like you did, same for the body mount reinforcements. There are no huge loads on there, it's all compressive forces. I have done those on quite a few cars, always I had the parts plated after blasting and then used windshield adhesive (not butyl rubber rope but polyurethane adhesive), the rivets hold the parts in place, the adhesive gives additional bonding and is excellent for keeping moisture out....and it's CHEAP! I don't know what that marine tex costs but the thixotropic epoxy pastes I use cost 80 bucks for a small can of base and hardener. It'd cost hundreds of dollars if I used it everywhere, money better spent on perf. upgrades.

Last of the fiberglass repairs on the firewall!!!!!!

DSC05444.jpg

DSC05445.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

DSC05447.jpg

DSC05448.jpg

DSC05449.jpg

A couple hours of blocking these repairs, and I will be finished with fiberglass (on the firewall that is:eek:). I am almost ready to get going on that body :hurray:

I masked the entire body off yesterday morning for sandblasting (cannot sandblast fiberglass) - it took a very long time. Took 5 rolls of masking tape, and then about 3-4 layers of thick plastic. Not one grain of sand hit the fiberglass.

Today, me and my father drove the vette down to consolidated compressor, where I sandblasted it. These are industrial sandblasters - not hobby ones. I could not believe the power of these beasts...it was insane. The compressor they have running the blasters is absolutely incredible...it sucks air like you would not believe. I finished it in under 2 hours - the entire body, fuel lines, radiator support and fuel tank. Cost me all of $188, which is pretty damn cheap if you ask me. The big plus is that there is no damn cleanup at home! Here are some pics...

A picture of the best dad in the world. This project would not be happening if it wasn't for him (and my mom that is). I still can't believe they are letting me restore this thing to full potential (it ain't my house).

DSC05468.jpg

At the sandblasters...

DSC05471.jpg

DSC05478.jpg

DSC05481.jpg

DSC05482.jpg

I peeled her open once we got home...

DSC05488.jpg

The results are amazing - not one spec of rust/paint left on the entire body now. Now that all the bullsh#t work is finished, I can really start tearing into the bodywork:D

DSC05486-1.jpg

DSC05487-1.jpg

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05493.jpg

DSC05494.jpg

DSC05499.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

Kudos to Mike for selling me one hell of a body - this thing barely had any rust. YOU THE MAN MIKE!

Last edited:
A picture of the best dad in the world. This project would not be happening if it wasn't for him (and my mom that is). I still can't believe they are letting me restore this thing to full potential (it ain't my house).

DSC05468.jpg

you bet they are good to let you do this, but you probably deserve it.
I'd cut you loosse too!
Again, Good job.

Its funny, because when I told my parents I wanted to buy a car and fix/restore it about 3 years ago, my dad said no, and was very negative. My mom convinced him to let me buy the vette though.

Over the past 3 years, my father has become very fond of the work I am doing. I guess he's proud of me, because now he is willing to do anything to help me out on this project. This is his car as much as it is mine - I can't thank my parents enough...I am very fortunate. He's just as excited as I am to see this thing come together. So is my mom.

That blasting site looks like a Florida Beach.....:p:1st:

You are very lucky your folks support your hobby like that, there are a whole bunch of us hotrodders who got NO support from any parental units, years ago, up in the DC region...it was a hobby frowned upon, the car is considered an inconvenience at best in that area.....:beer::beer:

Its funny, because when I told my parents I wanted to buy a car and fix/restore it about 3 years ago, my dad said no, and was very negative. My mom convinced him to let me buy the vette though.

Over the past 3 years, my father has become very fond of the work I am doing. I guess he's proud of me, because now he is willing to do anything to help me out on this project. This is his car as much as it is mine - I can't thank my parents enough...I am very fortunate. He's just as excited as I am to see this thing come together. So is my mom.

Come to think about it, I would've reacted the same way.
yeah, sure ...youre going to rebuild a car from ground up... Big project,but at the long run he saw the same thing we did.

Damn youre serious!

So as a parent I woud've done what he's doing. Support you all the way.
Ill have to admit here that youre far more serious about your project than me with mine.
And for all it's worth, I'm getting lessons from this.
On building the car but most important, on trusting the ablilties of the younger generation.

You guess he's proud? I mean look at the guy.... of course he is.LOL

Come to think about it, I would've reacted the same way.
yeah, sure ...youre going to rebuild a car from ground up... Big project,but at the long run he saw the same thing we did.

Damn youre serious!

So as a parent I woud've done what he's doing. Support you all the way.
Ill have to admit here that youre far more serious about your project than me with mine.
And for all it's worth, I'm getting lessons from this.
On building the car but most important, on trusting the ablilties of the younger generation.

You guess he's proud? I mean look at the guy.... of course he is.LOL

:1st: Yup, U got cool folks alright....:loveletter:

Had to clean up this area for the new door jamb. Bought it off ebay real cheap - its an original GM NOS replacement panel. Needs a little work, but almost every replacement panel does...

DSC05516.jpg

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

DSC05518.jpg

DSC05521.jpg

Latest posts

Back