Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

I sandblasted the fuel lines and painted them with Seymour cast blast today.

DSC05729.jpg

DSC05730.jpg

Last night I finished welding the left seat belt pocket on the floorpan...

DSC05739.jpg

I also picked up my painting supplies earlier today. The paint is for the birdcage and floor pans. The undercoating is for the underbody of the car...some awesome stuff Mike uses and recommended to me. Once again, this stuff is more expensive than other undercoats (in aerosol cans)...its high quality stuff, looks great, and is very durable.

DSC05731.jpg

Now I am waiting on parts from Sermersheims fiberglass:footmouth:

Last edited:
Wow Wow Wow ..... that is some incredible work Jeremy .... I am truely FAWKING speachless .... you are so talented and PATIENT !!!! ... you do have talent ... i have spent about 4 hours going throught this post and it seems like it was only an hour. I would really enjoy stopping by some time and having a look at your project ... i can hardly believe you are 18, i know so called pros that cannot touch your work ... keep it up, you will have a car that was better than it ever was intended to be ... Give me a call at 403 618 7117 when you have some time and i will stop by so i can learn something... haha ...

Terry

Wow Wow Wow ..... that is some incredible work Jeremy .... I am truely FAWKING speachless .... you are so talented and PATIENT !!!! ... you do have talent ... i have spent about 4 hours going throught this post and it seems like it was only an hour. I would really enjoy stopping by some time and having a look at your project ... i can hardly believe you are 18, i know so called pros that cannot touch your work ... keep it up, you will have a car that was better than it ever was intended to be ... Give me a call at 403 618 7117 when you have some time and i will stop by so i can learn something... haha ...

Terry

I'm planning on painting my Birdcage and floorpans tomorrow. If you wanna stop by, send me a PM. I hopefully will be able to spray tomorrow afternoon...I just hope!

Need to pick up some more paint tomorrow. I have to fix a few mistakes on my amateur part, and also need to paint the underside of the car. It turned out alright I guess (not entirely happy with my painting skills at the moment...I still need lots of practice).

DSC05813.jpg

DSC05814.jpg

DSC05815.jpg

DSC05816.jpg

This is what it looked like before...

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04506.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04508.jpg

Mike, my parts arrived the other day!!!! The last fiberglass pieces for the body - I decided to replace the access covers due to some "mistakes" (I'll leave it at that). I also bought some poly body mounts.

DSC05818.jpg

DSC05819.jpg

I sanded down the b-cage and floorpans. I will be respraying them on Monday, which is my day off work. Then I can call that project done.

I haven't touched the vette in a week now...work keeps getting in the way:banghead:

I can finally call the painting project done.

I bought a new tip for my gun, and Mike walked me through my errors, and told me what to do. Last time I was having issues due to my mistakes and the gun really acting up on me. Painting takes a lot of practice...I still have a lot to learn, but I have already learned quite a bit. Mike, thank you for taking the time to walk me though this...it would have looked like crap if you didn't help me!!!

Painting upside down sucks. It is very hard...especially with a gravity feed gun. My main concern with the underbody was to just get it painted...it was hard enough trying to spray under there into all the nooks and crannies (using a gravity feed gun)...I'll have to buy myself a suction paint gun next time, which will help quite a bit)

I even had one of the cups of paint "explode" on me after I mixed it up and put it in the gun. I bought this kit from norton (http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/no...s-plugs-190956-mesh-filter-48case-p-3110.html), and when I went to go purge the gun, well, it went everywhere, me included. I kept pushing though, covered in paint and all. I mixed up another cup and sprayed it with my aluminum cup - now I am having a hard time getting this hardened paint off my damn body. My dad walked in the garage and laughed at me, and said he didn't care about the floor...that was a big relief, because the sh*t went everywhere. Dad, you're the best!

In the end, IT WAS WORTH EVERY BIT OF AGGRAVATION. Here are some pics...enjoy. I'm very tired from all this. I am almost ready to drop the body.

DSC05826.jpg

DSC05827.jpg

DSC05828.jpg

DSC05829.jpg

DSC05830.jpg

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05832.jpg

DSC05833.jpg

DSC05834.jpg

DSC05836.jpg

DSC05837.jpg

DSC05841.jpg

DSC05842.jpg

DSC05843.jpg

DSC05846.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

DSC05848.jpg

DSC05849.jpg

DSC05850.jpg

DSC05851.jpg

Once again, Mike saved my ass on this painting project. I could not have done this without him.

I started to seal all the seams today. The seam sealer I use comes in a tube...you use it with a caulking gun. Good night!!!

DSC05853.jpg

DSC05854.jpg

DSC05855.jpg

DSC05856.jpg

DSC05857.jpg

DSC05862.jpg

I finished the seam sealing today. Once I finished that project, I moved onto fitting those access covers for the #3 body mounts. They need to be bonded in place before the body goes back on the frame. Unfortunately, there is not much to go off of in regards to where exactly they need to be bonded...I did my best fitting them. That took me a few hours, and several phone calls to Mike Dyer. I'm not bonding them until he gives me a thumbs up on the fit of them.

Mike, I just PM'd you a video.

Bed time for me...I finally get to relax for about 5 hours!

DSC05863.jpg

DSC05864.jpg

DSC05865.jpg

DSC05866.jpg

DSC05870.jpg

DSC05868.jpg

And here are the access covers screwed in place...

DSC05871.jpg

DSC05875.jpg

DSC05878.jpg

That's most likely the same type of sealer I sue, it's sealer but can also be used to flue. I use modified silicone polymer (MS polymer) and it's so much better than reg. seam sealer. It cures to a nice rubbery compound that holds well, it has excellent tacking properties.

Very clean application with the sharp taped off edges!!

That's most likely the same type of sealer I sue, it's sealer but can also be used to flue. I use modified silicone polymer (MS polymer) and it's so much better than reg. seam sealer. It cures to a nice rubbery compound that holds well, it has excellent tacking properties.

Very clean application with the sharp taped off edges!!

The stuff I use skins over very quick. You've gotta literally apply the stuff, smooth it out, and remove the tape immediately! If you wait just a tad too long, the lines do not look as good...almost like shrivled white glue on the edges (really hard to explain by typing). It took me a long time to mask and apply it, but it had to be done.

DSC05899.jpg

The body gets dropped tomorrow night or Wednesday morning...I just have a few touch ups to do.:bounce:

Now I'm "officially" ready to drop the body. I finished touching up the undercoating, and cleaned any dirty panels left over. I'm exhausted right now, but I finally get to put the body back on. This is a major milestone for me. I left some areas bare so I can do bodywork and the flares. Once the bodywork is complete, I will finish the undercoating with the body on the frame. I also decided to leave those access panels alone until it comes time to rebond the lock pillar plate back in place. I will need to lift the body and bond the access panels on when the time comes, but it is the onlly way to be sure of where exacly they need to be placed on the tub. Here are some last minute pics before you get to see it in one piece again. Tomorrow is d-day!

DSC05938.jpg

DSC05940.jpg

DSC05948.jpg

DSC05963.jpg

DSC05943.jpg

I dropped the body today. I was grinning ear to ear during the entire process. I was so happy that I even shed a tear. Yes, that is how much work it has taken me to get to this point. It has been exhausting work the past three years. I've destroyed my hands. It took a lot out of me...a man can only push himself so much. I am very proud of myself for sticking with it...I really am. My dad was also in awe at how good the underbody looks in contrast to the frame parts. Three years in the making. Now its time to do some real bodywork. I am way too happy right now:lol:

DSC05968.jpg

DSC05976.jpg

DSC05977.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

DSC05981.jpg

DSC05982.jpg

DSC05987.jpg

DSC05988.jpg

DSC05991.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06028.jpg

DSC06029.jpg

DSC06021.jpg

Nice Job Jeremy, keep it up. for you, this has to be a turning point in the build.
I have to admit that seeing you in that car remind us how young you are and looking at what you allready accomplished is just plain stunning.

What a determination.

:drink:

Latest posts

Back