Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

Nice Job Jeremy, keep it up. for you, this has to be a turning point in the build.
I have to admit that seeing you in that car remind us how young you are and looking at what you allready accomplished is just plain stunning.

What a determination.

:drink:

Its a huge turning point for me. I've been depressed for the past several months...it hurt to see the body still on the dolly. It looked as if I wasn't working on it...I wanted a car already. That's why I am so exhausted right now...I pushed myself day and night to get to this point so I can have a car again!!!!!

Mike, I know you're out there. THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU. I mean it. My skills never used to be this good...seriously. Before I met you, I didn't know how to "take it one step at a time". I tried to eat an elephant all at once with my first body. I got NOTHING accomplished on it. I never finished projects before I moved onto new ones. Once I met you, I got shit done...and I got it done right!!! Then, when I came to Dallas, you taught me how to take it slow and careful so you don't break stuff. I know all of this sounds pretty straightforward to most people when you read this message, but trust me, it never used to be like this. I was a new man when I came back to Canada, and that's when I started to get stuff done. I never thought it would look this good...and its all thanks to Mike. I have a car to be proud of right now - I HAVE A VETTE!!!! Mike, I can't thank you enough man! You've been on the phone with me for the past year now, telling me what to do, and how to do it. Wait till you see what this thing is gonna look like when its done - L88 flares, L88 hood, custom rear bumper, massive tires for the flares, US indy slot mags, sidepipes, and a customized front bumper by myself. You're gonna shit your pants when you here this thing driving up behind you.

Last edited:
So did you sleep in the garage? Because I know I would have had a hard time leaving the car at that point. Good for you buddy:drink:

So did you sleep in the garage? Because I know I would have had a hard time leaving the car at that point. Good for you buddy:drink:

I was so tired by the end of the day, that I crashed right when I walked in the house.

Today forum member "Mr. Kiss" dropped by to check out the vette. He brought one of his massive rims with him. They were custom made - he spent an insane amount of cash on these. They are friggen huge!!!!! His vette is in storage right now, and he wanted to see how they looked in person, and wanted to see my project. Terry, it was nice meeting you today. You'll have to stop by again so we can get some real work done. You bought awesome rims...I wish I had the money for a set like these!!

DSC06030.jpg

DSC06032.jpg

I still cant believe you manage to keep up the enthusiasm and high level of work when you havent had the chance to drive her yet....

Mike's helped me A LOT with that. Seriously, mentally I couldn't cope with it...then he told me how he deals with it on projects of this magnitude, and well, it just works. FORGET THE ENTIRE PICTURE, AND FOCUS ON ONE PROJECT AT A TIME...eventually it comes together. Once you start a project, finish the project before moving onto something else, no matter how agonizing the job is.

Mike also helped me shim my body over the phone. Here is what he told me to do. First, put the frame up on three jack stands. This is important...only 3. One underneath the diff, and two up front on the frame rails. Their locations are important the one underneath the diff supports the load in the back of the frame so it doesn't flex when you are doing the shimming.

DSC06052.jpg

DSC06053.jpg

Next, level the frame by shimming the two jackstands at the front of the car. Use the bottom of this crossmember when levelling the frame...

DSC06058-1.jpg

Once you get the frame levelled, you need to shim the body. You want to use as little shims as possible for this process. Once you shim the body getting even load on each body mount, you need to make sure that the body is indeed level with the frame, you don't want the body to lean to the left, or lean to the right. You want it level. I made this tool to help me with the shimming (it raises the rocker channels high enough for me to gain access to the shims). A little overkill, but I had some scrap steel from back when I was welding...

DSC06043-1.jpg

Once you shim the body, you need to center the body on the frame. You need to take TONS of measurements for reference...it takes a long time. Use you frame rails and rocker channels as reference points. For the rear of the body, use the tub just behind the storage compartments (in conjunction with the frame rails which are beside the tub). Once you get the frame where you think it should be, tighten all of the bolts down. The next step is genius.

You want to make sure the birdcage is pointing straightforward, centered between the frame. This messes with your front end mounting/fitment, as well as your hood fitment. Tape a piece of string just below the GM Jig slots on the inside of the B-Pillars. Do this on both sides. Now, tie both pieces of string to something heavy and adjustable. The objects should be in front of the frame horns, level with the shock mount hole.

DSC06074.jpg

DSC06083.jpg

DSC06085.jpg

Now slowly move the objects outward until it just kisses the inside of the A-Pillar. Once it hits it, stop. If it only hits one of the edges, that is okay. You want it to be a straight piece of string, not a kinked one. You are mimicking the front end using this technique.

DSC06081.jpg

DSC06082.jpg

Now, measure from the center of the shock mount hole, to the string, keeping your ruler as perpendicular to the string as possible. Measure both sides. If they are identical, you are centered, and ready to start mocking stuff up. Mine was dead on. This body shimming/levelling took me about 10 hours. In the following picture, it looks like the end of the ruler is not in the center of the hole. But, it really is (just a bad picture).

DSC06079.jpg

You need to make sure the body is levelled on the frame before you drop it back on its tires. Here are the results...

DSC06090.jpg

DSC06092.jpg

DSC06094.jpg

DSC06095.jpg

DSC06096.jpg

Keep in mind that these pictures are with the car on its tires. It makes a big difference. It almost looks like it is slightly leaning to the left, however, this is because the suspension has not settled yet. The body is dead level with the frame when the frame is levelled and up on jack stands. I'll get some more pics for you guys with it levelled on jack stand to show you what I mean. It looks pretty damn good if you ask me! I finally get to start fitting panels!!!

This gives you a very good starting point before you begin fitting panels. However, this is just a setup. Throughout the build you will have to play around with the shim numbers to adjust door gaps and such. THANK YOU MIKE!

Last edited:
You weren't kidding about it snowing!
Looking good but how are you going to get it back in the garage?
Mike

Damn, It's snowing already? Didn't you just post pictures less than a week ago wearing a tee shirt?

Nice job on the body mount. I am interested to know if the factory body/frame alignment holes in the door sills are aligned.

You weren't kidding about it snowing!
Looking good but how are you going to get it back in the garage?
Mike

HA, I already pushed it back in! Its a bitch...i was falling all over the place trying to push on the icy driveway. Calgary has weird weather...those damn chinooks from the mountains keep messing with us!

I decided to prop the vette back up on 3 stands again and send some pics to Mike. And, once again, he told me to add shims here, remove shims there and here is the result. Now Its perfect.

DSC06117.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

DSC06115.jpg

DSC06118.jpg

Wow, Stinger, just wow... I was very impressed with your earlier work on the frame, diff, trailing arms, etc, but the fact that you can do the bodywork to the same degree of perfection is utterly amazing! When the time comes, I'm sure that Trepanier, Foose, or some other car God is going to snatch you up!

I am interested to know if the factory body/frame alignment holes in the door sills are aligned.

I did not go off of that. We took an insane amount of measurements all over the body and frame as reference points. It took me 12 hours to fit the body to the frame. It was very tedious, but it has to be done if you want a straight car in the end. We also used shims to "twist" the back end of the body. As most of you know, none of these cars came from the factory in perfect alignment...they are all out of whack some way or another. You need to play around with each mount until you get it sitting right. No c3 corvette is perfect.

I am interested to know if the factory body/frame alignment holes in the door sills are aligned.

I did not go off of that. We took an insane amount of measurements all over the body and frame as reference points. It took me 12 hours to fit the body to the frame. It was very tedious, but it has to be done if you want a straight car in the end. We also used shims to "twist" the back end of the body. As most of you know, none of these cars came from the factory in perfect alignment...they are all out of whack some way or another. You need to play around with each mount until you get it sitting right. No c3 corvette is perfect.

I'm not saying that you should have gone off the factory alignment holes. I'm simply asking how close they were.

I'm not saying that you should have gone off the factory alignment holes. I'm simply asking how close they were.

I'll take a look sometime this week for you.

looking good .... i can't even imagine how nice this car is going to be when it is done ... wanna be there when you drive the shit out of it and torture your neighbors with open side pipes ....

looking good .... i can't even imagine how nice this car is going to be when it is done ... wanna be there when you drive the shit out of it and torture your neighbors with open side pipes ....

i will only have an open exhaust for the first drive around my house. once i aggravate the neighbors, then i will slip my baffles in and go for a real drive lol. like i said terry, this car is gonna get driven hard and fast...no matter how nice it looks in the end. whats the point in building an awesome car if you cant beat the shif out of it?

Latest posts

Back