Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

The number on the resin container is #105. The hardener I use is the "fast" hardener. I used to use the slow hardener, and found that it setup too slow for me.

I welded up a support bar for my new bumper. The center of the bumper needs to be supported where the license plate is. This also prevents the side of the bumper from being pushed out when you start glassing it. The license plate was being pushed, which pushed the outside of the bumper outwards (on the sides of the car). If I were to glass it in before I made this bar, the sides would have been fixed in place in the wrong position. I have to make a spacer to bolt the bumper to the bar. right now I am just using paint sticks to support it.

DSC06745.jpg

DSC06744.jpg

Hey ,
I just want to say I am awed at the work that you have done on this vette!
In one of your post you mentioned that you wanted to do this for a living.
Before I read that I had already thought it!
I just joined this forum and have enjoyed your project.
I am doing a 68 coupe , I am also a rookie but just a lot older! you do learn alot when you have to do things yourself!.
keep up the great work!!
joe

Hey ,
I just want to say I am awed at the work that you have done on this vette!
In one of your post you mentioned that you wanted to do this for a living.
Before I read that I had already thought it!
I just joined this forum and have enjoyed your project.
I am doing a 68 coupe , I am also a rookie but just a lot older! you do learn alot when you have to do things yourself!.
keep up the great work!!
joe

Thanks! It has taken me a lot of time to get to this point. I still plan on doing this for a living:beer:

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished the support bar for my rear bumper, so the next step was sanding out the bumper seams, and glassing them shut. This will make it even stronger. It will essentially be part of the car now. Using a block and 40 grit, I carefully sanded down the bumper line until it was paper thin on the new and old panel. I knocked down the "hard" edges from the panels (where the divot is), then masked it all off.

A closeup of how thin you need to make it...

DSC06765.jpg

More masking...

DSC06764.jpg

Then I glassed it. Took five layers, and about 3 hours to lay down.

DSC06766.jpg

DSC06769.jpg

I think my hand is gonna fall off from all of this fiberglass work!

Last edited:
This lock pillar plate came up a little too short, so I had to grind the lip down, and add glass (orders from Mike Dyer).

Then I glassed some more holes shut (only have a couple more left on the back half of the body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

DSC06770.jpg

DSC06777.jpg

Then I finished sanding these ones...

DSC06778.jpg

Time for bed :zzz:

Last edited:
A little more progress. I finished sanding this repair, and prepped some areas for body filler (you can see the deep scratches I put on the panels for the filler).

DSC06788.jpg

Time for me to head to work to make some more money:beer:

LOL.... what's so crazy? The piece of wood behind the tire? your parking brake doesn't work ???

No fresh snow in the driveway and the stuff you see by the road melted....? Global warming in Canada ??? Feels like summer, doesn't it ??? :D :D :D

Last edited:
LOL.... what's so crazy? The piece of wood behind the tire? your parking brake doesn't work ???

No fresh snow in the driveway and the stuff you see by the road melted....? Global warming in Canada ??? Feels like summer, doesn't it ??? :D :D :D

Yeah, its starting to warm up here!

People walk by my house and stare at the vette constantly now. Its an awesome feeling knowing that I have actually accomplished something these past three years.

Wow, how time flies. It doesn't seem like 3 years, just seems like yesterday! Keep up the good work!

Geez, I wish it felt like that. Feels like I've been working on this thing for my entire life.

Well, you have.....really....i'ts only BEEN 3 years since you got old enough to drive....:smash::lol::cool:

You do such NICE work, now if I could get you to come here and do more OF it....

:thumbs:

My package from Mike showed up today and I finally got the rear tires mounted on the mags. These were the largest radial I could find without going to a drag radial, which I didn't want to do. I am very happy with the fit inside the flare.

DSC06816.jpg

DSC06817.jpg

DSC06818.jpg

DSC06823.jpg

I can't believe this is my car!!!!

Latest posts

Back