Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

Keep in mind that the brighter colours, while they look great, tend to attract un-wanted attention. With that in mind, nowdays I try to fly under the radar..........

Yep. The HARDEST color to look good is black. With all the time and attention you have given that car, black is THE color of choice for it.
When the body is so so, black really shows it up. BUT, when the body is perfect, black is outstanding.
Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. Paint it any color you want that turns your crank.

I didn't want to go with black because it never stays clean. Regardless of the color I will be going with, the body will be absolutely perfect, I can assure you of that.

Keep in mind that the brighter colours, while they look great, tend to attract un-wanted attention. With that in mind, nowdays I try to fly under the radar..........

Yep. The HARDEST color to look good is black. With all the time and attention you have given that car, black is THE color of choice for it.
When the body is so so, black really shows it up. BUT, when the body is perfect, black is outstanding.
Of course, it's a matter of personal choice. Paint it any color you want that turns your crank.

I didn't want to go with black because it never stays clean. Regardless of the color I will be going with, the body will be absolutely perfect, I can assure you of that.

UNTIL the first SOB parking lots your car....that WILL happen you know, unless you stick it in a museum....

:hissyfit::clobbered::censored:

Mike ordered the cam for the engine the other day. He is ordering the rest of the parts early next week, then the block goes down to his shop for some assembly. He sounded really excited about the engine build. He's put a neat combination together for me which will create a lot of power and torque.

In the meantime, I took a break from the fiberglass and picked up the wrenches again. It was cheaper for me to get a new housing than it was to get two helicoil kits from the parts store to fix all my boogered threads (yeah, I know, its messed up) and other problems with the old housing.

I picked it up yesterday morning. Went to the gym, then headed to work. Then on my lunch break (yes, my lunch break :_dupe:) I went to the car wash to clean the crap out of it. Headed back to work, where my shift ended at 10:30 pm. Then I headed home, where I worked on the housing all friggen night till 4:00 am with an angle grinder and wire wheel. Got 4 hours of sleep, then hit the local princess auto to get some things I needed to finish it up. Done - painted by 3:00 PM today.

DSC07097.jpg

DSC07096.jpg

Damn that was a good feeling, getting all that work done that quick, even while I still worked out and worked a full shift the day before. But my god - I have never been this exhausted before in my entire life.

I prepped it like I prep all other parts - stripped all the old crusty paint off, then made it surgically clean. You should have seen how ugly this thing was when I picked it up...2 previous bubba paint jobs, and 30 years of grease and crap. I didn't take a before picture. Mike told me to spray it with high heat engine enamel.

I have already assembled all the parts in the other housing. I just need to swap everything over to the new housing. I will post a bunch of photos documenting the assembly of the transmission in the next few days. A huge thank you to TimAT and Mike Dyer for helping me assemble and build this thing over the phone. I can't thank you guys enough - the manuals are good to have, but there is nothing better than having a teacher tell you how to do things. Night:sleep:

Yeh, 4 sure, TimAT helped me a goodly bit over the phone on this 700 I built for the Clamper project....only took me a week to put it together..:surrender:

I know, I"m kinda slo.....:smash:

With the energy you have, I would think you'd wash it twice a day anyhow.:smash:

With the energy you have, I would think you'd wash it twice a day anyhow.:smash:

Hows' come all the kids got the energy?? should have heard that b'day party for that 15 y/o kid across the street.....

one of Linda's grandkids got a S10/Ranger size pick em up truck for his 16th b'day yesterday....

so much better than driving the family car....

DSC07117.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07120.jpg

DSC07122.jpg]

DSC07121.jpg

I just need to finish up a few little things, but for the most part, she is done. Now I gotta get ready for work:willy:

More paint stripping. I bet you guys have never seen a t-top roof panel this clean before:rofl: I removed everything.

DSC07129.jpg

DSC07130.jpg

And another nasty wound to add to the list.

DSC07126.jpg

Now, just imagine how bad my hands looked after I stripped all the other panels, including the underbody/undercoat...all with paint stripper, a scotchbite pad, a bucket of thinner. It is not fun, but it does no damage to the original panel - it is the best way to strip a vette in my opinion. My hands are just beat up from this project. I still can't believe how ridiculously clean this car is (and neither could the appraiser the other day:rofl:).

By the way, the cam for the engine is being installed at the machine shop this week. Then Mike gets to go on a shopping spree with my money and pickup the heads, intake, valve covers, and the rest of the goodies for the engine build.

Sting, on thing you may well notice, if you keep doing heavy work is that as you get older you cut your hands and you never feel it, you only know from the flow of blood....I have been that way for years now....i'ts gotta be really BAD before I feel any pain....:bonkers::flash:

I have several friends with the same observation over the years too....

:cry::hi:

Sting, on thing you may well notice, if you keep doing heavy work is that as you get older you cut your hands and you never feel it, you only know from the flow of blood....I have been that way for years now....i'ts gotta be really BAD before I feel any pain....:bonkers::flash:

I have several friends with the same observation over the years too....

:cry::hi:

Oh trust me, when you get a cut, then get lacquer thinner on it, you know RIGHT AWAY that you have an open wound! I didn't even notice it until I got the massive stinging pain from the thinner...

But you are right. The older you get, the more your hand turns into a giant callus.

Yeh, ya gotta stop workin' to plug the leak when everything gets all slippery. Had to do that the other nite.....

I went to the local pick 'n pull today to get the rest of the parts to finish the transmisison. I needed an oil pan (mine was dented pretty bad), and a torque converter dust shield. Luckily I found both. However, the oil pan had a hole in it. I guess that's how they drain the oil before they put them on the lot for picking (this one didn't have a real drain plug, so I needed to install one). Here is the hole that they drove a spike through...

DSC07137.jpg

Here it is welded up, and hammer/dollied back into shape.

DSC07144.jpg

Then I drilled a hole for a real drain plug. Mike told me to weld a nut on the inside of the pan, then steal my drain plug from my spare engine oil pan.

DSC07141.jpg

Sandblasted and powdercoated the two parts...

DSC07159.jpg

DSC07155.jpg

DSC07161.jpg

DSC07162.jpg

And voila, my transmission is done. Mike, where's my motor:D?

DSC07164.jpg

DSC07167.jpg

DSC07168.jpg

DSC07171.jpg

I finished stripping the last panel on the car today. I have officially removed EVERY coating GM applied. What a feat.

Before

DSC07173.jpg

DSC07175.jpg

DSC07176.jpg

After

DSC07189.jpg

DSC07190.jpg

DSC07191.jpg

I primed the radiator support tonight. I just need to topcoat it now. I know you guys love pics...so here are some more.

DSC07212.jpg

DSC07215.jpg

My old rad support was toasted worse than yours, so in went a new one, and I drilled drain holes in the lower/back flange area for drainage, and sprayed some cheep spray paint in there letting it roll around inside for some protection....had it out for the electric fans about a decade later and it was fine....

:cool::clap:

Latest posts

Back