Rookie's First Restoration Attempt...

Give us more pics!

You got it!

Its really coming along now. I finished making the thickness of the hood even around the perimeter, it looks very nice. I did the same with the t-tops. The underside of the hood was slick sanded today, and so were the tops of the t-tops.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

The last color I chose looked great at the beginning, but over time I decided it wasn't what I wanted - I wasn't happy. I picked another blue, and Byron surprised me with a silver stripe (it will be the baldwin motion scheme, not like this stripe). Now I am happy! This is it, these are the colors I am going with 100%...I love it!

IMG_0388.jpg

The body is almost ready for slick sand...a few last touch ups and she's done. I'm almost there!

It's done:woohoo: Time to get this thing to the shop where the prep and paint will unfold. I couldn't be happier with the way everything has come together. This past month has been hell - I told myself I was going to work on it every day until it was ready for primer, and, I actually did it. I'm beat from all of this, and can't wait to see it all grey shortly.

DSC09506.jpg

DSC09508.jpg

DSC09510.jpg

DSC09511.jpg

DSC09512.jpg

DSC09513.jpg

DSC09514.jpg

DSC09515.jpg

DSC09503.jpg

DSC09502.jpg

DSC09505.jpg

DSC09504.jpg

DSC09518.jpg

DSC09517.jpg

DSC09501.jpg

That last pix, those tail lights, I don't recall ever seeing that cut out oval shape before, I assume that's custom??

it sorts looks like the Olds lights in the back of my car....same recessed large opening with the lens in back....

shown on either site below.....:cool:

On February 16, my project is finally heading to our shop.:cheers:

I finished prepping the slick sand on the bottom of the hood. I sprayed the final urethane primer on it last week.

finalprimer.jpg

I also removed all the cracked GM pink adhesive, and rebonded the underside of the t-tops. I made the edges even thickness around the perimeter of each t-top, then primed with urethane primer.

DSC09523.jpg

Slick sand, which is the first primer we use on all of our projects, is blocked with 180 grit. Once the body is straight, we next go to 3 coats of urethane high build primer. That is blocked with 320, then the panels are hand sanded with 400 grit to remove the 320 scratches. We seal all of our panels during paint.

Latest posts

Back